Romelu Lukaku

Ocurrente

BWT31ZPCYAAO2Qc.jpg

romelu

Lukaku yesterday performed brillantly for Belgium against Croatia in Zagreb Maksimir stadion. The Belgian squad won 1-2, with two goals by Lukaku (15', 38'). The youngster now is a national hero as he shot Belgium into the World Cup (after 12 years of absence). As a substitute (for Christian Benteke, Aston Villa), Romelu scored 2 goals in only 3 caps. If national coach Wilmots takes his job serious, he can't ignore Lukaku any longer. Benteke, although doing well in the PL, only accounts for 2 goals in 8 Belgian caps.

Wouterinho

Lukaku yesterday performed brillantly for Belgium against Croatia in Zagreb Maksimir stadion. The Belgian squad won 1-2, with two goals by Lukaku (15', 38'). The youngster now is a national hero as he shot Belgium into the World Cup (after 12 years of absence). As a substitute (for Christian Benteke, Aston Villa), Romelu scored 2 goals in only 3 caps. If national coach Wilmots takes his job serious, he can't ignore Lukaku any longer. Benteke, although doing well in the PL, only accounts for 2 goals in 8 Belgian caps.
Although Romelu has shown some sensational things, I don't thing Wilmots is wrong to choose Benteke. Lukaku's goalscoring stats might be better but Benteke is more important throughout the game.

Mitchell1978

Lukaku has 5 goals in 23 games with the NT, Benteke has 6 in 16.

BarcaOG

Banned
That list is based on All-time appearances and there is another tab under Legends section All-time top scorers where you can find 2 of the 4 names you mentioned...By your logic even Cantona is not a United legend but he has god like status among United fans.......I don't like Chelsea but Zola is one of the most gifted players to play in the League and I think he would be considered a legend at any club.........

in addition, ronaldinho played for barca for five years 'only'.

and who in their right mind would say he's not a club legend?

length of service does not determine legendhood.

romelu

Lukaku has 5 goals in 23 games with the NT, Benteke has 6 in 16.

Your stats are a bit deceiving, sorry. Lukaku scored 8 in 22, first of all. But he only played few minutes, maybe 1/10 of Benteke's minutes. And I only take official games into account, not friendlies. Further: looking at this WC campaign is the right way to judge, as Lukaku was only a kid before. Benteke, in his mid-twenties, should be on his top.

Benteke doesn't live up to his expectations in the NT. Fact. Especially in Brazil, where level will be much higher than in qualifiers, Lukaku, the best Belgian counter striker, will be more efficient and usefull.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
So Romario (3 years), Laudrup (5 years 167 games, Ronaldinho (5 years 145 games), Stoichkov (5 years 151 games), Rivaldo (5 years 157 games), Neeskens (4 years), Eto'o (5 years 145 games) Koeman (5 years 192 games) and even Cruyff (5 years 143 games) are not Barca legends according to your criterion.
Only Romario

Mitchell1978

Your stats are a bit deceiving, sorry. Lukaku scored 8 in 22, first of all. But he only played few minutes, maybe 1/10 of Benteke's minutes. And I only take official games into account, not friendlies. Further: looking at this WC campaign is the right way to judge, as Lukaku was only a kid before. Benteke, in his mid-twenties, should be on his top.

Benteke doesn't live up to his expectations in the NT. Fact. Especially in Brazil, where level will be much higher than in qualifiers, Lukaku, the best Belgian counter striker, will be more efficient and usefull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romelu_Lukaku

5 in 24 actually for Lukaku and 6 in 16 for Benteke. Benteke is 22 right now, so both players are still very young.

To be honest i don't have a real preference, Benteke is better at holding the ball and in small spaces, Lukaku is stronger, faster and more usefull on the counter. At the moment Wilmots prefers Benteke.

romelu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romelu_Lukaku

5 in 24 actually for Lukaku and 6 in 16 for Benteke. Benteke is 22 right now, so both players are still very young.

To be honest i don't have a real preference, Benteke is better at holding the ball and in small spaces, Lukaku is stronger, faster and more usefull on the counter. At the moment Wilmots prefers Benteke.

These stats are useless as Lukaku is only a substitute. He maybe played 4 full games, while Benteke allways plays. Benteke is 23 on 2 December.

Benteke is acting as an offensive mid player in the NT. 'Holding the ball' is virtually all he's performing the last year. His last goal dates from urly autumn 2012.

The team performing against Croatia last friday is the best possible (adding Kompany for Van Buyten). It was far out the best game Rode Duivels displayed the last decades. With Benteke, they never would have scored two times. In my opinion Wilmots never gave a fair chance to Lukaku. Now however, due to Benteke's ingury, he was forced to post Lukaku. In fact if Wilmots is a hero now, he has to thank Lukaku, not his friend Benteke. Strange roll of the dice.

Wouterinho

Benteke isn't in his mid-twenties (he's 21 years old) and he should be on his top in about 5 years... Lukaku performed great when Belgium was playing on the counter, but when they play dominantly, Benteke definitely plays better.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I feel it was the right choice to let him out on loan again, tbh. He needs more experience before he should target the first choice striker slot. He wouldn't play enough games for us, and at this stage in his development it's better to be on loan at a good side like Everton, who also has a good manager. Plus it's heaps better for his confidence and the national team.

romelu

Benteke isn't in his mid-twenties (he's 21 years old) and he should be on his top in about 5 years... Lukaku performed great when Belgium was playing on the counter, but when they play dominantly, Benteke definitely plays better.

Benteke is almost 23 (2 December). Mid-twenties is 23-27.

And a striker who isn't scoring at all for a full year, hardly can be called 'playing better'. Wake up.

Wouterinho

Benteke is almost 23 (2 December). Mid-twenties is 23-27.

And a striker who isn't scoring at all for a full year, hardly can be called 'playing better'. Wake up.
18 goals for Aston Villa in 2013, only 5 players scored more goals in that period.
I know you're referring to the national team, I just wanted you to think about how silly that statement is. He did score twice in a friendly this year and if you're talking about a full year: add 5 days or so and he scored twice in a full year (against Serbia and Scotland).
Now I'm not saying Lukaku's stats are worse, because I know he has more goals per minute of playing time, I'm just saying that your argument doesn't make much sense.

In my opinion, Benteke should start most games and Lukaku should come on after Belgium have already scored (because Lukaku's lethal on the counterattack) and Lukaku should maybe start games against teams like Spain, because in those games Spain will have most of the possession and Belgium will probably focus on counterattacks.

ps: I really like Lukaku as a person and as a player, I'm just giving an objective opinion but I think you're a bit more biased because you're even more of a Lukaku fan (hence you're name).

romelu

Benteke didn't score for the NT for a full year and played almost every match. What's so silly about that statement? If you take away Lukaku, Belgium would have a hughe striker issue.

In Brazil there wont be any easy (home) games as there were so much in the qualifiers. Counter qualities (amongst others) will be imperative, so the choice for Lukaku seems obvious. Don't know what's biased about that at all.

18 goals for Aston Villa in 2013, only 5 players scored more goals in that period.
I know you're referring to the national team, I just wanted you to think about how silly that statement is. He did score twice in a friendly this year and if you're talking about a full year: add 5 days or so and he scored twice in a full year (against Serbia and Scotland).
Now I'm not saying Lukaku's stats are worse, because I know he has more goals per minute of playing time, I'm just saying that your argument doesn't make much sense.

In my opinion, Benteke should start most games and Lukaku should come on after Belgium have already scored (because Lukaku's lethal on the counterattack) and Lukaku should maybe start games against teams like Spain, because in those games Spain will have most of the possession and Belgium will probably focus on counterattacks.

ps: I really like Lukaku as a person and as a player, I'm just giving an objective opinion but I think you're a bit more biased because you're even more of a Lukaku fan (hence you're name).

Home of Barca Fans