Romelu Lukaku

Wouterinho

Benteke didn't score for the NT for a full year and played almost every match. What's so silly about that statement? If you take away Lukaku, Belgium would have a hughe striker issue.

In Brazil there wont be any easy (home) games as there were so much in the qualifiers. Counter qualities (amongst others) will be imperative, so the choice for Lukaku seems obvious. Don't know what's biased about that at all.
- you mean in 2013, he has scored in the last full year
- I was referring to the second part of the statement
- chances are pretty big that Belgium will be the best team in their group, so I think they should dominate those games and not just rely on counterattacks

Let's agree to disagree for now, especially since we're the only ones in discussion. Feel free to mail me with any other argument that you might have, because I do think it's an interesting discussion and it'll be a tough decision for Wilmots too.

romelu

- you mean in 2013, he has scored in the last full year
- I was referring to the second part of the statement
- chances are pretty big that Belgium will be the best team in their group, so I think they should dominate those games and not just rely on counterattacks

Let's agree to disagree for now, especially since we're the only ones in discussion. Feel free to mail me with any other argument that you might have, because I do think it's an interesting discussion and it'll be a tough decision for Wilmots too.

Benteke's last official NT qualifiers goal was 12 October 2012: Serbia away (0-3). Thus, a full year. The crucial qualification year, btw.

Indeed it's an interesting debate, and I also wonder how Wilmots will react. Concerning Brazil, the first round being head of its group doesn't say everything. Okay, it's something, but there are no weak countries anymore, and the home advantage has vanished. I'd give full confidence to Lukaku and keep Benteke as a (skillfull) substitute. Christian is a good footballer, he prooved so with Aston Villa, but in the NT he does'nt live up to expectations. Maybe he will - if he feels he's not sure of his place any longer. A bench cure is just what he needs.

Yannick03

I'm with Wouterinho on this one, I'd too would start Benteke over Lukaku. I love Lukaku much more than Benteke but for now, Benteke is the better option. He's better technically, tactically and he knows what to do in his role at Belgium. It just seems our playing style doesn't fit Romelu, Benteke makes the other players play better. For as now, Lukaku doesn't.

I have no doubt Romelu has the bigger potential. He has the head, the heart and the talent of a champion and some day he'll be better than Benteke and he will earn that starting place in the national team. But for now I prefer Benteke.

romelu

I'm with Wouterinho on this one, I'd too would start Benteke over Lukaku. I love Lukaku much more than Benteke but for now, Benteke is the better option. He's better technically, tactically and he knows what to do in his role at Belgium. It just seems our playing style doesn't fit Romelu, Benteke makes the other players play better. For as now, Lukaku doesn't.

I have no doubt Romelu has the bigger potential. He has the head, the heart and the talent of a champion and some day he'll be better than Benteke and he will earn that starting place in the national team. But for now I prefer Benteke.

Did you miss the game Croatia away?

Lukaku is even better in the Premier League then Benteke, and his NT stats are much better as well.

Lukaku scored 17 goals for West Bromich as a substitute (mostly 30'), while Benteke scored 18 for AV as key player. This season, Lukaku allready scored 4 times for Everton in 2.5 games.

For a striker there's only one thing that counts: scoring goals. Benteke has a very hard time with that in the NT. And btw he only made 1 assist in the same year. So he's not efficient at all. He's performing poorly.

I wonder how Barca would react if Messi would'nt score in 10 games.

Yannick03

Did you miss the game Croatia away?

Lukaku is even better in the Premier League then Benteke, and his NT stats are much better as well.

Lukaku scored 17 goals for West Bromich as a substitute (mostly 30'), while Benteke scored 18 for AV as key player. This season, Lukaku allready scored 4 times for Everton in 2.5 games.

For a striker there's only one thing that counts: scoring goals. Benteke has a very hard time with that in the NT. And btw he only made 1 assist in the same year. So he's not efficient at all. He's performing poorly.

I wonder how Barca would react if Messi would'nt score in 10 games.

Hey, I know what you are saying. I'm a big fan of Romelu and he's doing extremely well in the PL. His stats are better but to me it seems the team plays better when Benteke is on the pitch. It's just an observation that I make.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Please stop downgrading Benteke to big up Lukaku.

Both are beasts of a player. Lukaku has the bigger potential however Benteke is no dummy and is a top, top striker.

Also Lukaku has been playing in better club teams last season and this so of course he will have more chances at goal and thusly more goals.

I also laugh at you saying Benteke is in his middle 20's LOL. Middle twenties is 25-26.

romelu

Hey, I know what you are saying. I'm a big fan of Romelu and he's doing extremely well in the PL. His stats are better but to me it seems the team plays better when Benteke is on the pitch. It's just an observation that I make.

Nobody is downgrading Benteke. But in the Belgian NT there is only one place for a striker. That's why there is this big discussion.

And I'm tired of a majority preferring Benteke while he's performing so poorly. He's not scoring, not giving assists for over twelve months, but he's playing very well? I'm waiting for any serious argument to defend Benteke, instead of blurry statements.

And Benteke will be 23 soon, not mid-twenties or mid-twenties, who cares? The fact is that he's 3 years older than Lukaku.

JamDav1982

Nobody is downgrading Benteke. But in the Belgian NT there is only one place for a striker. That's why there is this big discussion.

And I'm tired of a majority preferring Benteke while he's performing so poorly. He's not scoring, not giving assists for over twelve months, but he's playing very well? I'm waiting for any serious argument to defend Benteke, instead of blurry statements.

And Benteke will be 23 soon, not mid-twenties or mid-twenties, who cares? The fact is that he's 3 years older than Lukaku.

Hes not scoring for who Belgium?

The better players are not judged on their intl form alone. Just look at the struggles Messi and Ronaldo have had at intl level in recent years.

Martindn

Im more afraid seeing Lukaku on the teamsheet than benteke hes annhilated us in every game hes played, if you consider he is only 20 his potential is scary id play him just for the future.

romelu

Indeed, Lukaku is very scary to any team, ask Fergusson. Making a hattrick at ManU, starting off at Everton with 4 goals, finishing off Croatia in 25 minutes with 2 goals...

Especially in Brazil, the Belgian squad just can't get around him. The future is now.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I still think Mourinho loaned out Lukaku just because of the Bayern game. He cost him his bragging rights over Guardiola, and soon after was being offered out on loan to half the league. (There was comments about him not being available all summer until the weekend before deadline day)

Ego.

nava

I still think Mourinho loaned out Lukaku just because of the Bayern game. He cost him his bragging rights over Guardiola, and soon after was being offered out on loan to half the league. (There was comments about him not being available all summer until the weekend before deadline day)

Ego.

I think it was pretty obvious that was the reason, as he's still very obsessed with all things Barca and Pep. Theres no logical reason you would loan out your best forward especially when the other 2 you have (Torres and Ba) are nowhere near Lukaku at the moment.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Tbh even if that is the reason, it's still good he went out on loan. Would have had trouble getting his confidence back playing for us after that penalty miss.

Home of Barca Fans