Sebastián Coates

D

Dundalis

I shouldn't have said pace, I guess. that wasn't what I mean. I'm well aware there are 6'5 people who are extremely athletic. but defenders of Cannavaro's technique and drive are almost never that big. that's not to say everyone who's 6'5 is Ryan Shawcross, but you can't just say "all things being equal" because they never are.

and I'm no midget.

I've seen more of Coates than you have, but that's got nothing to do with anything. you kept saying it had been proven he was as good as/better than Jones with the ball. and you didn't prove anything. you just said it had been proven. I don't know if that video was supposed to be proof or not...

ANYWAY: the genesis of this argument was someone rambling that Coates was already better than Jones based on a quote from some douchebag journo. I disputed this, because there's no way he's as accomplished and the talent difference is edged by Jones as well. so now the arguments changed to he has greater potential than Jones despite being older, less accomplished and, let's face it, at a worse club that's less proven at developing young talent (especially defenders). and the reason for his greater potential? he's taller. I mean you'd think a forum full of Barcelona fans, having seen the 5'9 Mascherano excel at CB against bigger opponents, would know that size really isn't everything. I mean didn't the 6'1 Wes Brown manhandle the 6'5 Andy Carroll? I'm sure last season I saw the 6'2 Vidic destroy the 6'7 Crouch in the air?

and to get it straight; I'm a massive fan of Coates. I knew he was good, but the way he stepped up at the Copa was just superb. I was suggesting that, next summer, we buy him to be the future of our defence along with Piqué (although frankly, the way things are looking, that may be Mascherano in the short-term).

Agger's 26. Jones is 19.

Piqué's better than Jones with the ball, too. but he's 24 so I didn't see the point bringing him up.

Emile Heskey once played up-front for Liverpool. so that means Luis Suarez can't be an incisive finisher, right?

come on, now.

very nice.
Fair enough. When I said the height makes him have more potential, I was meaning that Coates can basically do most or everything else that Jones can do just as well. Hence the all things being equal comment. But of course Jones can't grow so he likely won't have the ability to be as dominant in the air as Coates.
that's the benefit of buying young players. even if you overpay, time is on your side and improvement is possible.

we're all laughing at Kenny right now, but Henderson has plenty of time to improve and justify his fee.

I mean, I don't think he will, and we should all laugh at Kenny repeatedly for spending that kind of money on such a duffer, but it's clearly a long-term signing.
While I was no fan of the Henderson purchase, I have however since changed my mind. I'm not sure he is worth 20 mill, but he just looks like a player that doesn't yet have confidence in his ability. I think he's got almost as much ability as Gerrard, but unfortunately none of the confidence or aggression. He's quick, has got technique, good passer, and intelligent tactically. Dalglish will obviously be tasked with bringing that out of him.
You are a United fan.

Hey, nothing wrong with that, to each their own. Nobody's perfect!

Anyway, it looks like Coates is a Liverpool player. Too bad, I guess when he stagnates because he's taught to do nothing but make reckless tackles to fit in the EPL, Uruguay's best hope for Lugano 2 is going to be Polenta.
Apart from his constant injuries, Agger has done fairly well as a cultured CB. If Coates plays with him, I don't see why he couldn't do the same. In any case Coates isn't aggressive like Lugano, he's more about good positioning and anticipation. He's not going to be another Lugano.

W

Worms

Anybody watch Phil Jones today? Awful positioning throughout the game.Arsenal could have scored a couple more.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Viva, stop feeding the troll.

While I was no fan of the Henderson purchase, I have however since changed my mind. I'm not sure he is worth 20 mill, but he just looks like a player that doesn't yet have confidence in his ability. I think he's got almost as much ability as Gerrard, but unfortunately none of the confidence or aggression. He's quick, has got technique, good passer, and intelligent tactically. Dalglish will obviously be tasked with bringing that out of him.

yeah Gerrard is nearly all heart. there was a period around the middle of the decade where it did look like he could turn any game he was involved in from a loss to a win if he felt like it. really stunning drive & will. no brain, though. and that kind of will burns out eventually. and with no brain he's just floundered since.

Gerrard, Carroll and Adam will prove to be tricky in the long-term. Bolton gave Adam acres of space to find passes, but if someone closes him down he won't be able to pick out his laser passes; he's no Xabi.

and Carroll just is not the type of player who gels well with the kind of dynamic football Suarez, Kuyt, Maxi and Meireiles are playing.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Meta, off topic, but while I can be assured this topic has your attention I want you to read this from the best English language Uruguayan football blog to have an aneurysm - why the Uruguayan national team would be able to beat Barcelona
http://www.lacelesteblog.com/?p=4758

And no for the record this is not my point of view, there is obvious hyperbole as it's not meant to be all that serious. But I do think Tabarez is the sort of intellectual coach that would give Pep nightmares. Also I just discovered that El Maestro quotes Che to his players, making him somehow even more awesome.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
haha, man that guy is such a hater.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH BARCELONA ONLY WIN BECAUSE OF REFS!"

calling Pep smug! :lol:

taking time out to hate on MJ's Bulls. :lol:

he's wrong about Germany, too. way wrong. they couldn't even beat Spain for fucks sake. Messi would kill them.

though I kinda agree with the main premise. Uruguay are really well set to cause us problems. like Espanyol 2 years ago, they're a superbly organised defensive side who counterattack at pace in 2/3 man teams in the space vacated by fullbacks. and they have fouling, diving and time wasting down to a fine art.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I disagree about Germany too, though their evil brand of football would probably be a pain in the ass to play against. I do like the Germany-Madrid link, Mourinho's Madrid is morphing into an emo, emotionally unstable version of Germany (and since Germany's biggest strength is its stereotypical teutonic iciness that breeds decades of consistency, good luck with that).

I hate the ref conspiracy BS but I think one thing that would make Uruguay so scary is their ability to match Barcelona in gamesmanship.

(And I completely understand the Bulls comparison. I grew up supporting the 90s Knicks, basketball's version of Mourinho's Madrid, down to the evil cunt of a manager who already has a special place reserved in hell)

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
like I said, they remind me of Espanyol 2009, but with more quality. which does make them a very scary picture.

but I think the key thing people are overlooking is that if we start with our First XI we now have two legit options off the bench in Cesc and Asexis. and Asexis is great at dealing with dark arts and all that kinda tomfoolery. you just know he's get at least 17 penalties out of Caceres.

W

Worms

Meta, off topic, but while I can be assured this topic has your attention I want you to read this from the best English language Uruguayan football blog to have an aneurysm - why the Uruguayan national team would be able to beat Barcelona

And no for the record this is not my point of view, there is obvious hyperbole as it's not meant to be all that serious. But I do think Tabarez is the sort of intellectual coach that would give Pep nightmares. Also I just discovered that El Maestro quotes Che to his players, making him somehow even more awesome.

Lol that was a shit blog,Germany looked lost against Spain but I think Uruguay have the right manager,tactics and players to cause Barca problems.

W

Worms

Lol that was a shit blog,Germany looked lost against Spain but I think Uruguay have the right manager,tactics and players to cause Barca problems.

XaviMessiGirl

317272_10150305118708205_57068668204_7940218_3791236_n.jpg

Home of Barca Fans