Sebastián Coates

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
I love how there's a 5 page discussion on his quality when he hasn't even played a single game in Europe yet. How about we wait a few months and see how good he is eh?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Interesting development, Atleti is trying to hijack the Coates deal, offering Nacional 1M more than Liverpool.

:worthy:

W

Worms

Rooney's much better than Drogba now.. Big games? Oh.. you mean when he scored against Citeh, Chelsea and Barcelona and loads more? Did you see that beautiful goal he scored against Citeh?

You mean the goal when he lost control of a simple pass and it luckily when to Scholes in the build up to it,when the ball deflected of a city defender so it took the pace of the ball and was set up perfectly for Wayne ,that fluke what come off his shin when Kompany slipped so wayne was unmarked,i remember that was the game he did fuck all else for 90 minutes and couldn't control the football,just like the world cup where he was the literally the worst player of the tournament.

Chelsea where a pub side last season,utter shite.The goal against Barca he was lucky to get the ball back after that shit pass to Giggs.Rooney was shit against Barca,just like other England players hes tactically unaware ,he couldn't even mark Busquets when out of possesion when Fergie told him to,kept losing possession of the ball.Piss poor.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
it's either Ed, or some of his mates.

or are we really supposed to believe two brand new users sign up and immediately head for the Sebastian Coates thread to argue the superiority of a Liverpool player to a Man Utd one?

grow up.

one point was worth addressing, though, so here goes:

Jones is a 6 foot tall centreback. Undersized. Sure John Terry has been a great player at the same height. But a player, if all other things are equal stands at 6 foot 6, they are likely to be a much more dominant player.
I've never seen any of the players you mention go on such a run and at the end of it have the composure to provide such a quality pass (Maybe Lucio). So you are talking bs. If Coates has the vision and ability to provide such a through ball after such a gut bursting run, it's pretty safe to say he has the ability to do it stationary from deep in defence under much less pressure. Also I regard Lucio as a ball playing centreback. He has the ability to make head scratching decisions, but his ability on the ball is not in question.
Bottom line, Coates has good speed for his height, is tall and strong, composed and quite good on the deck (I was responding to your original comment that Coates is nothing on the deck compared to Jones, which has been clearly proven wrong). Jones is the more accomplished of the two by virtue of playing at a higher level, but if you are looking at talent, Coates superior physical ability gives him the potential to be a much better player. But that's still just potential, realising it is a different story. Not every player reaches their potential.

nothing has been "proven" - it was a nice pass from Coates but the defending made it easy. conversely, those of us who watch football beyond the upper-echelon have seen Jones play the ball brilliantly in numerous situations, even to the point where he was comfortable playing in midfield in the Premier League. what we've seen from Coates is decent ball-playing ability, nothing more.

and just being bigger doesn't automatically give Coates greater potential.

Per Mertesacker is 6'5, Nemanja Vidic is 6'2, Fabio Cannavaro is 5'9.

just sayin'.

D

Dundalis

it's either Ed, or some of his mates.

or are we really supposed to believe two brand new users sign up and immediately head for the Sebastian Coates thread to argue the superiority of a Liverpool player to a Man Utd one?

grow up.

one point was worth addressing, though, so here goes:

nothing has been "proven" - it was a nice pass from Coates but the defending made it easy. conversely, those of us who watch football beyond the upper-echelon have seen Jones play the ball brilliantly in numerous situations, even to the point where he was comfortable playing in midfield in the Premier League. what we've seen from Coates is decent ball-playing ability, nothing more.

and just being bigger doesn't automatically give Coates greater potential.

Per Mertesacker is 6'5, Nemanja Vidic is 6'2, Fabio Cannavaro is 5'9.

just sayin'.
Jones playing the ball "brilliantly" is an overstatement. Jones is a good ball playing centreback, he's hardly "brilliant". Daniel Agger is far more technically gifted as a centreback than Jones. You said Jones was far superior to Coates as a ball playing centreback, and that is proven false. Coates is good at it, as is Jones. There is not some imaginary massive gap between them.

The players you mentioned are irrelevant to the argument, because I clearly said all things being equal or relatively. Mertesacker is tall, but he lacks in a lot of other areas compared to the other two. A player with all or most of Cannavaro's qualities but 6'5 would be a much better player believe it or not.

As for the Suarez argument, I think Suarez is the better player, but he needs to prove it. He's looked good so far in the Prem but the sample size is too small, if he keeps up his current form over the course of the season he may make a case for being better.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
well yes, all things being equal and everyone living in fantasy land, but players of Cannavaro's technique, pace, drive and bite aren't 6'5.

and Coates, however much you'd like to pretend, isn't that great with the ball at his feet. he's good, sure, but that video, your "conclusive proof" is not some Xaviesque genius. he beats three or four players with nice touches, catching the ball because of his big stride and because his team-mate knocks a defender out of his way. it's more indicative of his dribbling ability than his passing. and the pass he does make at the end of it really isn't that special. he has 3 yards in front of him with zero pressure and picks out a simple pass to find the striker who has already started making his run.

you're gonna haveta do more to convince me this kid can play the ball like Jones. who we've seen function perfectly fine AS A MIDFIELDER. I'm not making this up, or exaggerating, he played in midfield for Blackburn and did a great job. he also did a great job at CB. the fact that Fergie spent 16m when he didn't need a CB, but bought Jones just because "he was too good to pass up on" says everything you need to know about him.

and yes Agger is a superb ball-playing CB, he's also got the square root of fuck all to do with Phil Jones. grow up.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Once again, I've never seen Jones play, but I'm not sure being able to function as a midfielder in the EPL is a sign of great skill though, considering the guys who pass for midfielders in that league.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Once again, I've never seen Jones play, but I'm not sure being able to function as a midfielder in the EPL is a sign of great skill though, considering the guys who pass for midfielders in that league.

it was under Sam Allardyce, who does favour butcher-like tactics, but then also likes his CM's to be able to pass the ball properly. so much so that he brought in guys from Lliga (specifically Hierro and Ivan Campo) to play there and run his teams. the fact that he felt comfortable to use Jones there (and Jones was 18 at the time) speaks volumes.

W

Worms

well yes, all things being equal and everyone living in fantasy land, but players of Cannavaro's technique, pace, drive and bite aren't 6'5.

and Coates, however much you'd like to pretend, isn't that great with the ball at his feet. he's good, sure, but that video, your "conclusive proof" is not some Xaviesque genius. he beats three or four players with nice touches, catching the ball because of his big stride and because his team-mate knocks a defender out of his way. it's more indicative of his dribbling ability than his passing. and the pass he does make at the end of it really isn't that special. he has 3 yards in front of him with zero pressure and picks out a simple pass to find the striker who has already started making his run.

you're gonna haveta do more to convince me this kid can play the ball like Jones. who we've seen function perfectly fine AS A MIDFIELDER. I'm not making this up, or exaggerating, he played in midfield for Blackburn and did a great job. he also did a great job at CB. the fact that Fergie spent 16m when he didn't need a CB, but bought Jones just because "he was too good to pass up on" says everything you need to know about him.

and yes Agger is a superb ball-playing CB, he's also got the square root of fuck all to do with Phil Jones. grow up.

Fergie also spent €30 million on Anderson,look how he turned out.Average at best.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
average at best? :lol: I'll admit it's taken him a while to show his true colours for United, but then he's only 23 and has already spent at least one year out with a broken leg & a cruciate tear. that'd slow anyone's development down, especially as it (and the recovery periods) comes in the middle of adapting to a new country.

as Jatin says, he looked the business at Porto. and now he's finally starting to look the business at United. although he's always impressed when given an extended run in the team, and has played (and excelled) in some mighty big games for United, now he looks genuinely ready to fulfill his potential. he was brilliant at the end of last season and now the start of this. so, bad example.

a better example of Fergie buying someone he didn't need and getting it wrong would have been Veron. but then it wasn't that he misjudged Veron's talents, it's that he thought Scholes was a true enganche because he made so many forward runs. of course, had he realised that Scholes was just a volante given 433 freedoms in a 442 because Roy Keane was fucking awesome, he'd have not ended up disrupting the harmony of that magic midfield quartet and woulda spent that 30m on a proper enganche to play behind Ruud (Rui Costa or somethin') and would have had one sexy motherfucker of a team.

Home of Barca Fans