Sergi Roberto

xXKonan

Meet Luis Enrique's Mr. Versatile: Sergi Roberto

Luis Enrique has successfully managed to adapt Sergi Roberto's game, and in the process make the youngster an increasingly key member of his 'Azulgranas' squad.
The Barcelona youth product didn't manage to make a midfield position his own at the Camp Nou, but has quickly found that he has been offered more playing time thanks to the versatility his boss had identified. When the 23-year-old was asked to stand in at right-back for the injured Dani Alves – who missed several games through injury – the converted central-midfielder earned rave reviews.
During Messi's absence he has also played out on the wing, in a position in which he brought his quality and fine crossing ability to the table. In his most familiar central-midfield berth he has delivered some highly accomplished performances, and it was from precisely this area that he tore into Real Madrid on Saturday to set up Luis Suárez for the opener. Last term, Barcelona's number 20 was limited to deputising for Busquets in the holding role when the latter was in need of a break.
Roberto can be best described as a hybrid between Alves, Busquets and Rakitic, and on current form, and in recognition of the patience he has displayed, he is fully deserving of a place in the Barcelona line-up, which many observers thought he wasn't cut out for.
http://www.marca.com/en/2015/11/23/en/football/barcelona/1448233467.html

Done well enough for MARCA to mention him. :lucho:

zidaneisgod

This is the perfect case study on how to integrate youth players in your team.
He is clearly NOT as talented as once-in-a-generation players like Messi/Iniesta/Xavi but instead has been allowed to grow into his role.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He is clearly NOT as talented as once-in-a-generation players like Messi/Iniesta/Xavi but instead has been allowed to grow into his role.

Welcome to the forum!

I think he was also lucky that Barca were hit with transfer ban and then door opened with Rafinha injury.
Has to be said Roberto was loyal and stuck around for years without playing much.

So imo. it's not as if Barca planned for this

Ritchie

Welcome to the forum!

I think he was also lucky that Barca were hit with transfer ban and then door opened with Rafinha injury.
Has to be said Roberto was loyal and stuck around for years without playing much.

So imo. it's not as if Barca planned for this

It's difficult with young players at Barca because a lot of things need to go their way. Roberto wouldn't have got the chances this season if Turan and Vidal were available for selection and may have even left. Then players who have had the chances like Cuenca and Rafinha suffered terrible injuries which set them back.

And Barca now don't usually have the patience to wait years for a player to develop like Roberto because they need to players to come right in and perform. Look at Munir or Sandro for example. Neither are anywhere near ready but can Barca wait 2 years maybe for one of them to mature? The answer was no with Deulefeu or Adama and they were loaned out

God Serena

I wouldn't call this "perfect", to be honest. A massive string of incredibly bad luck led to us having no choice but to rely on him and he took his opportunity, something many players in his situation failed to do over the past few years. It'd be a mistake to think this is all we'd need to do for any other young player to make them an important part of the squad.

ATLBarcaFan

Admittedly, I have been a doubter of this kid's ability in the past. But thankfully, I don't make personnel decisions at Barca. While not perfect, he has played very well at whatever position they ask him to play.

zidaneisgod

It's difficult with young players at Barca because a lot of things need to go their way. Roberto wouldn't have got the chances this season if Turan and Vidal were available for selection and may have even left. Then players who have had the chances like Cuenca and Rafinha suffered terrible injuries which set them back.

And Barca now don't usually have the patience to wait years for a player to develop like Roberto because they need to players to come right in and perform. Look at Munir or Sandro for example. Neither are anywhere near ready but can Barca wait 2 years maybe for one of them to mature? The answer was no with Deulefeu or Adama and they were loaned out

I guess its also because your last set of youth players were legends: Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets or top players: Puyol/Pique/Pedro/Valdes
This was clearly an anomaly and the situation with Munir/Sandro/Thiago is more common for future Barce youth.

Horatio

You're welcome
I guess its also because your last set of youth players were legends: Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets or top players: Puyol/Pique/Pedro/Valdes
This was clearly an anomaly and the situation with Munir/Sandro/Thiago is more common for future Barce youth.

This is the argument I bring when people say La Masia has gone downhill. You can't control the number of kids that have talent. You will have a period where, with luck, a lot of star players emerge and sometimes you will have a dry season.

Admittedly, I have been a doubter of this kid's ability in the past. But thankfully, I don't make personnel decisions at Barca. While not perfect, he has played very well at whatever position they ask him to play.

And your doubt wasn't unfounded. He showed almost nothing to suggest he would be the player he is at the moment. People have analyzed to death what changed for Sergi to make him the player he is today. I'm not gonna go there but I'm just so happy for him and the club that he is succeeding here.

Home of Barca Fans