Sergi Roberto

frog-fcb

With the form bob is in this season i actually reckon we could give him a game in nets some night and he would put in a decent performance

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'm happy that the 4-4-2 experiment with Roberto as the RW worked... especially coz I predicted it soon as Messi got injured and it was more or les confirmed we would miss him for the classico. I think Lucho does linger in the forum :p

Anyway, I think Roberto would probably play a mighty role in changing Messi into a mid fielder thereby increasing his life-time as a professional footballer as well as making his deadly combination of play-making and goal-threat a reality.

JamDav1982

I'm happy that the 4-4-2 experiment with Roberto as the RW worked... especially coz I predicted it soon as Messi got injured and it was more or les confirmed we would miss him for the classico. I think Lucho does linger in the forum :p

Anyway, I think Roberto would probably play a mighty role in changing Messi into a mid fielder thereby increasing his life-time as a professional footballer as well as making his deadly combination of play-making and goal-threat a reality.

Didnt look much like a 4-4-2.

Looked more like the normal 4-3-3 and Roberto was RW and came inside when Barca had the ball.

Iniesta was not playing LW. Iniesta just looked in usual position of LCM with Raki RCM and Busi DM.

Edit: Just watched highlights again and definitely not 4-4-2. All players in usual positions. Neymar clearly LW with a bit of license to roam as usual.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Didnt look much like a 4-4-2.

Looked more like the normal 4-3-3 and Roberto was RW and came inside when Barca had the ball.

Iniesta was not playing LW. Iniesta just looked in usual position of LCM with Raki RCM and Busi DM.

Edit: Just watched highlights again and definitely not 4-4-2. All players in usual positions. Neymar clearly LW with a bit of license to roam as usual.

He did not play a wing forward.... His role involved more of a mid fielder, as was Iniesta's!

----keeper
RB-CB-CB-LB
---RCM---LCM
-RM----------LM
------ST---ST

Something sort of similar is what I think it was yesterday. Only Iniesta's role involved more of a creator than that of Roberto's is all

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He did not play a wing forward.... His role involved more of a mid fielder, as was Iniesta's!

----keeper
RB-CB-CB-LB
---RCM---LCM
-RM----------LM
------ST---ST

Something sort of similar is what I think it was yesterday. Only Iniesta's role involved more of a creator than that of Roberto's is all

The formation really was nothing like that.

Neymar clearly played on the LW for the vast majority. Much higher up and wider than Iniesta who played left/ ahead of Busi as usual.

Suarez was far more central than Neymar for virtually the whole game.

The only difference from normal was that instead of holding a wide position when Barca won the ball Roberto drifted inside and gave width to Alves.

Go watch the highlights agian it is clearly the normal formation with a few drifts inside from Ney as usual.

Cule Finn

----keeper
RB-CB-CB-LB
---RCM---LCM
-RM----------LM
------ST---ST

I think this pretty much sums up Roberto's role in the clasico: PLAYER IN FOCUS: SERGI ROBERTO
In other words: he was everywhere. Reading this made me appreciate his performance even more.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Don't forget that iniesta also had to wait a lot before the became a regular and it's fecking iniesta we are talking about.
Iirc he wasn't a regular until 24 years old.
These youngsters should learn from that and be patient unlike the traitor thiago who wanted first team football.

Neymessi

He has more chances to play because he can play everywhere in defense mid and forward.Could get subbed in the last 30 min every match in alternative positions.The whole right flank is roberto's.

khaled_a_d

Don't forget that iniesta also had to wait a lot before the became a regular and it's fecking iniesta we are talking about.
Iirc he wasn't a regular until 24 years old.
These youngsters should learn from that and be patient unlike the traitor thiago who wanted first team football.

Iniesta in 2004/2005 season (aged 20) :37 Liga games(12 starts),46 overall
In 05/06 (aged 21) : 33 Liga games(14 starts) ,49 overall in the season
In 06/07 (aged 22) : 37 Liga games(28 starts),56 overall games in the season
In 07/08 (aged 23) : 31 Liga games(28 starts),49 overall games in the season . note he was injured few games in that season
So no ,Iniesta was almost regular at the age 0f 20 and a starter at the age of 22 not 24

Only thing that Iniesta and Roberto had in common is their versatility at young age .Iniesta played RW,LW,CM,AM,DM and even RB under Rijkaard

And Iniesta might be the best Spanish player ever ,no one should be compared to him .not until he at least achieve a lot of things in his career

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Iniesta in 2004/2005 season (aged 20) :37 Liga games(12 starts),46 overall
In 05/06 (aged 21) : 33 Liga games(14 starts) ,49 overall in the season
In 06/07 (aged 22) : 37 Liga games(28 starts),56 overall games in the season
In 07/08 (aged 23) : 31 Liga games(28 starts),49 overall games in the season . note he was injured few games in that season
So no ,Iniesta was almost regular at the age 0f 20 and a starter at the age of 22 not 24

Only thing that Iniesta and Roberto had in common is their versatility at young age .Iniesta played RW,LW,CM,AM,DM and even RB under Rijkaard

And Iniesta might be the best Spanish player ever ,no one should be compared to him .not until he at least achieve a lot of things in his career

Meh, 28 starts, that means that he was subbed on for most of the games, 28 starts of 56 at age 22 and 28 starts of 49 at age 23.
Anyway, bottom point is that iniesta showed a lot of patience till he became a starter and the current prospects should do well to remember that.

khaled_a_d

Meh, 28 starts, that means that he was subbed on for most of the games, 28 starts of 56 at age 22 and 28 starts of 49 at age 23.
Anyway, bottom point is that iniesta showed a lot of patience till he became a starter and the current prospects should do well to remember that.

The starts numbers was for Liga only .was too lazy to find out of all competition how many he started

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I have just watched all goals again. While Iniesta's is becoming one of my favorite goals ever, Sergi's run before the first goal is growing on me. Perfect first touch in full speed, second touch to wait for the forwards to make their runs and inch perfect pass to Suarez with his weak foot. Messiesque.

xXKonan

Roberto is a interesting case.

After Thiago was sold Roberto, was Promoted to the first team and their were thoughts of him possibly being the new "Xavi" and was nicked named the Patient midfielder. A lot of people even me just thought he wasn't really showing he deserves to be here just seemed Average and would eventually join the likes of JDS,Muniesa,Fontas,Víctor Sánchez etc to be sold off to mid table teams.

in the summer of 2014 he signed a new Contract and to some it was like "Why?" and the few minutes he got early in the 2014/15 Season he didn't impress and a lot of us wondered "We let Thiago go for this guy?" after a little while he eventually was dropped down the Pecking order and Rafinha instead got the opportunity to shine and Roberto was left in Obscurity for awhile.

Lucho started to Experiment him in the DM position in 2015 and it managed to perform rather well there making me especially think "Man he might have a chance at being a good back up for Busi if he keeps it" Fast forward to the Summer pre season games Lucho experimented again and put him to work at RB and he performed rather well then.

The First game of the new season Alves got injured and Lucho put Roberto in at RB and since then things started looking up for Roberto he started Performing well and many Including myself started to praise him for his Performances.

With Injuries starting to Pile up with Rafinha getting a season ending knee injury vs Roma and with Messi also injuring his Knee vs Las Palmas and with Verm,Iniesta,also Being out of Action for a time and plus the transfer ban the first couple of months of the Season it just looked Grim.

If There's Positives from the Problems we've had to start this season It had to Be Roberto's Evolution. Lucho who even since the the Barca B days had confidence in Roberto, Decided to lay the chips down and Give Roberto the game time and Chances he never gotten before.

Roberto went from having a uncertain future due to lack of playing time to being one of the most Important players to Barcelona this season without a doubt. His Evolution stunned a lot of us and it's one of those times where "Man It feels good to be ended up proven wrong". He truly did cement himself as Barca Material and it's great to see with us being at the Top of the Table and January approaching it feels great despite the problems we have had during the season.

Roberto did what a lot of La Masia talents since Thiago failed to do "Impress". It's probably true if we didn't have these Injuries Roberto would've most likely never get the chance to really shine But when the opportunity came He took it and the rest is history.

Well this might sound weird but for me He's the new Luis "Lucho" Enrique. Lucho himself was a Utility player during his Prime years seems fitting he managed to convert Roberto into a player he once was :lucho:

(My Grammar really isn't that good but these are my thoughts overall.)

J

Jamie Cal

----keeper
RB-CB-CB-LB
---RCM---LCM
-RM----------LM
------ST---ST

Nah, it wasn't like this. I get the need to have a formation that looks balanced, but it's rarely like that irl, especially at Barca.

Anyone have that 'average position' heat map-thing?

Home of Barca Fans