Sergi Roberto

xXKonan

Lucho's thoughts on Roberto after the match.

Sergi Roberto took Sergio Busquets place in midfield and Enrique was happy with what he saw: “He gave us a lot, little touches, he was capable of orientating play and getting between the lines. In the future it could be the ideal position for him and he will be vital player for us in the coming years.”

Cule Finn

Sergi can for sure play DM if needed, but I can't see it becoming his ideal position, at least not in a short term. As DM he can't utilize his biggest strength - mobility - to the fullest. I think Rakitic's position suits him the best, and if he keeps this form up he could challenge Rakitic for the starting spot. Love his versatility though, the perfect squad player to have.

Nucky

He already played in the Clasico and he shined.

Lucho has so much faith in the boy, I don't see why he wouldn't play him in more big games.

Yes but then Arda didn't have the right to play yet. Now I don't think he will get a chance before Rakitić,Arda,Busquets and Iniesta..

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why Lucho didn't use him more last season if he knew what talent he is.
As a fan of Lucho I have to say that I doubt Roberto would be a big hit like this if Lucho's hand wasn't forced with all those injuries we had few months ago.

jairzinho

Is starting to evolve into a solid, dependable squad player. The fact that he's only 23, means his ceiling for continued growth is high. His growth should be a lesson for us on how we view Sergi Samper.

BBZ8800

Just imagine how good he will become once he gets to play many games in a row in a set position. That's what he deserves. I dont know anyone who is able to slot so seamlessly into the team without proper match fitness or hardly ever having played the various positions he plays.

I don't think that he will ever get a starting spot in Barca.
At least not in the upcoming 3-4-5 years.

Dr: he would have to wait for Alves to retire, and since we have Vidal, I don't see a starting spot here for him. Just a squad player.
Cdm: Busi will play for years (if he doesn't get a serious injury). No room here again.
Cm: Rakitic, Iniesta, Arda. At least 2 of them would have to retire/get sold for Roberto to get a starting spot. Plus, we couldn't buy any other Cm (Gundogan, Pogba), plus all younger midfielders should stay below Roberto in their future development (Rafinha, Suarez, Samper, xx...)
Rw: Messi. The end of story.

I think that Roberto will be beloved part of our squad, who can (and will) always jump in on multiple positions when needed.
He will never be a starter, but he will be very important part of the squad who will probably play 20-25-30 matches in every season (rotations, injuries, cards).

Not good enough for the first team, but very close to it, and useful on multiple positions.
A guy who will be the first choice (or better to say: the 2nd choice) for more or less every position.

Something like Guti in Galacticos.
Galacticos took his place, but whenever someone was injured or tired, he was a sub for all positions.
And Roberto is even more versatile.

Gabri Garcia was a similar player for us 10-15 years ago.
Never good enough for the first team, but good awesome and versatile squad player, who in the end played 130 matches in 7 Seasons with Barca.
Gabri played at similar positions as Roberto:
-- as an attacking Rb, as a Cdm, as a Cm, as a Amc (if needed), plus he could cover all Rw positions in any 343, 433, 442 and 451 formation back then.

So, imo, Roberto will be Gabri of this era.
There aren't too many videos with Gabri from that era, so I will post this one:

JamDav1982

Gabri is the type of player that would never get near Barca these days and was never going to be a first team starter in any top, top side.

Roberto is more important to a better team and has a better chance of being a starter.

Trickykid

Comparing Roberto to Gabri is a slap in the face of the former.
Aside from their versatility, they're really nothing alike at all - especially not in terms of footballing ability.

BBZ8800

Gabri is the type of player that would never get near Barca these days and was never going to be a first team starter in any top, top side.

Roberto is more important to a better team and has a better chance of being a starter.

We won a CL with Guily and Oleguer back then in our starting 11.
Barca and overall quality was much lower since top teams weren't filthy rich as today.

So, for the level of Barca and European football in those days, Gabri was 12th player of Barca and versatile for numerous positions.
Barca is stronger today, as majority of top teams (this is why we trash opponents 6:0 today and why current attackers from top teams can score 35-40 goals per season compared with Rivaldos and Etoos from those days, but I don't want to enter that debate again.)

Anyway, we didn't have forums and Barca forum back then, but in the late 90's and early 00s, 4 biggest jewels from La Masia were: Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta and Gabri.

Citation: "Gabri was a key element in Spain's squad at the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship, scoring three goals to become World Champion of the category. He was also a member of the national team at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

After making his full debut on 30 April 2003 in a friendly match with Ecuador, Gabri went on to represent the nation during UEFA Euro 2004 in Portugal, not leaving the bench in an eventual group stage exit."

I remember watching that youth world cup on Eurosport back in 1999'.
Barca had only 3 players in that team: Xavi, Gabri and a defender Bermudo.
Gabri and Varela were Spain's best scorers with 3 goals.
Gabri also scored in a final vs Japan (4:0).

Commentators on Eurosport were saying all the time that Xavi and Gabri will be the leaders of Barca's and Spain's midfield in the future.

So, if you want to compare youth days and hype, Gabri was much more hyped than Samper or Lee today (who are very, very hyped by our fans).
Also, Gabri was a Spanish NT player on some tournaments, so it is hard to say that he is "way weaker player than Roberto".

Last edited:

JamDav1982

We won a CL with Guily and Oleguer back then in our starting 11.
Barca and overall quality was much lower since top teams weren't filthy rich as today.

So, for the level of Barca and European football in those days, Gabri was 12th player of Barca and versatile for numerous positions.
Barca is stronger today, as majority of top teams (this is why we trash opponents 6:0 today and why current attackers from top teams can score 35-40 goals per season compared with Rivaldos and Etoos from those days, but I don't want to enter that debate again.)

Anyway, we didn't have forums and Barca forum back then, but in the late 90's and early 00s, 4 biggest jewels from La Masia were: Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta and Gabri.

Citation: "Gabri was a key element in Spain's squad at the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship, scoring three goals to become World Champion of the category. He was also a member of the national team at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

After making his full debut on 30 April 2003 in a friendly match with Ecuador, Gabri went on to represent the nation during UEFA Euro 2004 in Portugal, not leaving the bench in an eventual group stage exit."

I remember watching that youth world cup on Eurosport back in 1999'.
Barca had only 3 players in that team: Xavi, Gabri and a defender Bermudo.
Gabri and Varela were Spain's best scorers with 3 goals.
Gabri also scored in a final vs Japan (4:0).

Commentators on Eurosport were saying all the time that Xavi and Gabri will be the leaders of Barca's and Spain's midfield in the future.

So, if you want to compare youth days and hype, Gabri was much more hyped than Samper or Lee today (who are very, very hyped by our fans).
Also, Gabri was a Spanish NT player on some tournaments, so it is hard to say that he is "way weaker player than Roberto".

Don't really care how hyped Gabri was. It was clear he was nothing special in the Barca first team at a time when top squads could have players that were a big drop in quality from one position to the next.

Roberto is different as he is more important now to Barca than Gabri ever was is not as poor in comparison to the other players and has a chance to become a first team starter.

You start this 'Barca have it easier today as richer' angle that discredits all Barca players Messi included.

Roberto is in a different league quality wise to what Gabri could offer.

Jombi

I do agree that Busi and Messi are our two most important players so getting one of those spots is ridiculously hard, but Alves will turn 33 in a few months and Raki isnt better than Roberto at the moment (and neither is Arda). Those are the spots available for him.

You are underestimating Roberto's quality severely IMO, BBZ. Prepare for the rich English clubs to be all over him in the summer if he hasnt been given a starting spot by then.

If you want to compare him to Gabri because of versatility you might as well compare him to Iniesta as he was our 12th man for years before cementing a starting spot after Ronnie and Deco were gone (started as DM, played RW, LW, AM and CM). Roberto is no Iniesta, he is different, but he is no Gabri either, he is simply better.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans