Sergi Roberto

footyfan

Calma, calma
I wonder why Lucho didn't use him more last season if he knew what talent he is.
As a fan of Lucho I have to say that I doubt Roberto would be a big hit like this if Lucho's hand wasn't forced with all those injuries we had few months ago.

I think last season Lucho's hands were tied after all the early criticism. So he probably elected to stay safe with his team selections. After winning the treble all the pressure's off and he can do as he likes.

It could also be that Roberto really added a lot to his game over the summer and early season, just like Neymar, and that made it easier for Lucho to play him.

Ritchie

I think last season Lucho's hands were tied after all the early criticism. So he probably elected to stay safe with his team selections. After winning the treble all the pressure's off and he can do as he likes.

It could also be that Roberto really added a lot to his game over the summer and early season, just like Neymar, and that made it easier for Lucho to play him.

He wasn't really taking his chances when he got them (i.e. munir/Sandro this year) and has this season. He's been the beneficiary of the ban because if Vidal was available then he wouldn't have got a run at right back and less games in midfield with Arda.

PhilS

When Lucho needs to sub or rotate over the rest of this season, or in case of injury, he will be calling Sergi's name a lot. It would not surprise me if he plays more than Rak. I expect him to get more minutes than anyone not in the first 11 (I think Arda has already supplanted Rak in the first 11).

Alik

When Lucho needs to sub or rotate over the rest of this season, or in case of injury, he will be calling Sergi's name a lot. It would not surprise me if he plays more than Rak. I expect him to get more minutes than anyone not in the first 11 (I think Arda has already supplanted Rak in the first 11).

That might have been true before the arrival of Turan and Vidal. Now, Vidal will be backup RB and Turan back up CM. I think Sergi will be mostly playing as back up DM from now on.

God Serena

Missed most of 1st half. Good to hear.
I don't think he had one bad game this season.

The only sub-par performance I can think of came right after he was injured for a few weeks and slotted in as CM in Iniesta's role, and even that was part of an overall letdown from the entire team.

xXKonan

Another subpar performance was the 4-1 thrashing vs Celta and the 1st leg of the Super copa.

But to be fair to Roberto everyone was wank in the Celta match and the Supercopa leg Lucho had to use a random lineup rotation due to only having like 1 day of rest.

You will likely see Arda-Roberto-Rakitic more often against midtable-lower table teams. It's gives Arda much needed minutes, Roberto more Experience at the DM position and it gives Iniesta and Busi much needed rest.

Going by what Lucho said after the Granada match Seems like he's keen on turning Roberto into a "Second Busi". What I mean by that is Someone who can Keep things fluid, who can distribute the ball well and has decent Defensive skills or in short someone who actually fits the Busi role.

I mean sure Roberto isn't near as good as Busi (since Busi himself is the best damn Midfielder in the world)But Roberto himself came through the system and knows how to keep things fluid and has been good for us in CM the whole season. out of all the Midfielders we have in the squad he seems like he's closest enough to actually play the Busi role and Lucho himself knows this.

I'm not saying Roberto will be the second coming of Busi but what I'm saying is he would be a much better fit at it than Mascherano. This isn't a dig at Masche as he's been a warrior for us but his skill set at DM just doesn't fit Barca but it would for other teams though.

Lucho sees Roberto as someone who not only can play CM/RB etc but someone who can also Deputize Busi vs mid table-lower end table teams without it feeling like our midfield struggling to keep things fluid. it's a win-win as Roberto can play more and gain more Experience in the Position and it allows us to Rest Busi and not run him into the ground and Risk him getting Injured.

Their's Samper but his positioning,Fitness,and Defensive skills aren't Busi back up quality just yet. a Loan to a Mid table team in La Liga would probably work but as of right now Roberto fits the profile.

Home of Barca Fans