Sergi Roberto

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Don't think he'll ever be a starter at RB. He's done reasonably well there, but to play regularly, especially when the competitions heats up would be very difficult for him as he lacks some important attributes like pace and the defensive positioning which the best players would exploit rather easily.

If he was fast, then he could have used that until he got better, but lacking that too, it would be difficult for him. As a short-term option he'd be decent, but can't see him being our long-term RB.

Unless Lucho finds some love for Vidal again, and the latter keep improving defensively, he could fill that role, or else we'd have to sign someone.

I also disagree with the part about Bob lacking pace. He is very fast, he only needs to learn to take on his man. We all know he is capable of ghost like runs with the ball, but he needs to do them more as our RB. His passing is spot on and he is a very good crosser, not to mention tenacious and hard working. Two things Bob needs to work on are defensive positioning and take ons

BarcaJack

Bob is good. But he needs to continue this form for another season and improve either defense or creativity. Only then can he get rid of the "squad filler" tag.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's relatively fast, but not as explosive as most RBs around. And he'll go up against players like that. He can keep up, but on 1v1s with space, he'll get burned.

Maybe he can become a long-term RB, maybe not. But it just isn't that easy, and he also prefers to play in the midfield. I see Mascherano and Alba's examples, but that's two out of several players who made the transition from one position to another.

Let's see though. It's not only to improve his defensive positioning, it's the mentality too. I won't deny he's had a few impressive to decent performances, but that's still a very small sample size.

You guys need to look at the other side of it too. The aim is to improve the team and the squad and while Dani had a few irregular performances, he was still a very important player for us, especially for his contribution offensively, so to speak. I doubt any player in the near future will emulate that, but being a decent replacement and providing the same things to our game would be more than good enough.

Can Sergi Roberto do that? Everyone want him to succeed, being a La Masia graduate, but he has a lot to prove. A lot.

It's a sizeable risk. Let's see.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

He's relatively fast, but not as explosive as most RBs around. And he'll go up against players like that. He can keep up, but on 1v1s with space, he'll get burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPZS8wDQ-W0
I know it is just Bilbao,but I can't see any lack of pace or explosiveness in this video for example
Early in the season,I can't remember many situation that S.Roberto was the one having problem with pace.it was usually the other way around.his pace and explosiveness is very good in comparison to the player he will replace too IMHO.
And just like Alves,Roberto understand how to use his body and play physically with the opponent and he is arguably even stronger
Again,this is the last area I would worry about,because those were actually the strengths that made his coach thinking he would be good RB.his physical tools.

Maybe he can become a long-term RB, maybe not. But it just isn't that easy, and he also prefers to play in the midfield. I see Mascherano and Alba's examples, but that's two out of several players who made the transition from one position to another.

Mascherano,Mathieu ,Alba,Vidal.those 4 could have consisted our entire back line in some games and 3 out of them started their careers as wingers and the 4th was a DM.The history of our club changing players position is just too damn big to ignore.And Roberto actually is very close to those in terms of what made them make the switch.Obviously there was those who failed like when Pep tried Busquets as CB.
His biggest flaw is still being unable to be creative ,he will need to make better connection with Messi and attackers in general.
I agree about your last line that it is a risk.but that is safer risk than most RBs in the market.

sabby

He deserves renewal of his contract.. We need universal players like him who can play on 2-3 different positions..

He can become our next great ultimate utility player like Adriano once was and hopefully without the injury tendencies. Funny thing is he was considered our next Xavi/Busquets 5 years ago, up until Sergi Samper was known.

Barcilliant

Pretty sure he will be our starting right back this season. Unless Vidal improves drastically or there is a decent Rb available for a bargain it will be Roberto who will take Alves place.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Me too... I am actually dreaming of Sergi helping Leo transform into a midfielder by forming a dynamic CM-RF duo

xXKonan

I feel like Roberto, when he was constantly being played as a RB early on in the season showed him at his best once he stuck to one position.

But as the season went on with him constantly being played all over the place as a Utility player, he looked like he stagnated a bit. perhaps if he became our starting RB next season and not being constantly thrown all over the place he will improve again.

Home of Barca Fans