Sergi Roberto

JamDav1982

Plenty of players have been better than average in the b team the past couple of season, however Roberto was not at his best for whatever reason last season.

Strangely always looked better when called up to 1st team. Perhaps his head had moved on a bit who knows.

He does bring things to the first team sqaud that others dont. He is about the only one of the more offensive midfielders that is direct and has great energy and movement.

Fibonacci

I've been following this forum for a while, and now finally decided to register.

I think the reason why S.Roberto has always looked better in the first team is because players of a certain type need players of a relatively good standard around them in order to look good. Roberto may lack the flashy tricks that some of the other youngsters have (Thiago being one example), but he has great footballing fundamentals and is very intelligent in his movement and spacing. You're not going to stand out at a lower level with your movement the same way someone might with tricks or dribbling, but you're more likely to be successful when you move up a level.

As an aside, Thiago was bossing around people his age, but he did seem to struggle last year in the first team. I wonder if that's not precisely because he is more of a flashy player than a fundamentally sound one.

DinhoR10

Someone said he reminded them of Deco last night and that is exactly who he reminded me off come to think of it. So we have the new Gerrard, Lampard, Kaka and Deco all in one coming soon!

This would be amazing, has he ever unleashed a gerard/lampard type shot?

And i hope he gets to start against villareal maybe alongside iniesta or cesc this time.

kostasgtc

you would play your youngsters infront of your "big names" daily?

If Tata played younsters and they were to mess up or flop people would be on his case for not easing them in. It isnt all about talent , its about many things and patience in one of them. Its not about thier form now , but their form forever. An example is Bartra. He was here in around 2008/ 09 and only now is he shining. He has been eased in , and he is now more comfortable. Although i dont think he is ready to be a starter yet. The way youth players are nowadays , is that if someone in the first team gets injured they are ready to step in and do the job. They do it really well and they become squad players.. before they start getting chances ... then maybe a few season after they have proved themselves .. they start. Sorry to say but Bartra's form could be just a good spell and when he starts getting responsibility and playing against top top teams he starts to degrades. Tata has a massive gem in his hands and has to play them right. If Messi wasnt played right or if he had been rushed he would have never been as good as he is now. never
just perfect!

barcanuck

I've never seen him unleash any type of shot so Deco is as close as we get for now and can only hope about the other comparisons!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been following this forum for a while, and now finally decided to register.

I think the reason why S.Roberto has always looked better in the first team is because players of a certain type need players of a relatively good standard around them in order to look good. Roberto may lack the flashy tricks that some of the other youngsters have (Thiago being one example), but he has great footballing fundamentals and is very intelligent in his movement and spacing. You're not going to stand out at a lower level with your movement the same way someone might with tricks or dribbling, but you're more likely to be successful when you move up a level.

As an aside, Thiago was bossing around people his age, but he did seem to struggle last year in the first team. I wonder if that's not precisely because he is more of a flashy player than a fundamentally sound one.

Welcome!
More people have noticed the same thing. It may very well be that Roberto is better suited to Barca system than Thiago.

pawanme10

Great post.
Also, I might add, the few times he has played for us this season, he has comfortably kept the ball and integrated well with our team.

DinhoR10

I've never seen him unleash any type of shot so Deco is as close as we get for now and can only hope about the other comparisons!

In the first clip, this is the only real shot i've seen of him except for the one off the post when he was subbed on for messi earlier this season. Looks more like messi than anyone else there though lmao. Least we know he can shoot though, with time i believe he'll become more comfortable doing things like that.

And I'd also like to say that flashiness isn't a necessity of a barca player, look at xavi and cesc, xavi has some flare to him but they're both not iniesta or thiago.

Not really. He was great besides a couple of mistakes. At one point last season he was our 2nd best CM after Iniesta in terms of form.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I think the Keita comparison is the most apt. Given time Sergi can fill the Keita hole in the squad.

barca1899

Agents Sergi Roberto: "He had offers from half of the Premier League in the last years, but he didn't even listen to it." [el pais]

The patient midfielder :worthy:

khaled_a_d

I actually like the Kieta comparison,they are different players but they will have that squad player role that is pretty underrated ,don't think he will ever be a star
people seems to forgot how good Xavi&Iniesta was at his age

Cule Forever

This isn't about how good he is. He has enough talent to be one of this team leader in the future. the diffrence between him and xavi and iniesta is the pressure those kids get at this stage of their career...barca waited for iniesta to be at the age if 24 until he became the real deal, xavi didn't shine that much before 28. These days the younger players don't get enough time to learn and evolve as players

khaled_a_d

This isn't about how good he is. He has enough talent to be one of this team leader in the future. the diffrence between him and xavi and iniesta is the pressure those kids get at this stage of their career...barca waited for iniesta to be at the age if 24 until he became the real deal, xavi didn't shine that much before 28. These days the younger players don't get enough time to learn and evolve as players

When Iniesta was just at same age (or even a bit younger) in 2005-2006 season,he was a good rotational player in the squad,a squad that had Xavi,Deco,Van Bommel competing for 2 spots ,and won Liga & CL and was considered 2nd best Barca team ever back then
Xavi also had a gr8 career start ,granted we were worse team ,but his talent was obvious,not to mention much more success at youth level
Saying that Iniesta became the real deal at 24 or "xavi didn't shine that much before 28" is False ,they became top 10 players in the world at that age ,but they were key players younger than that . If a player is comparable to them at same age it was Thiago not Sergi
Again,Roberto is gonna have a good career ahead of him ,but I have high doubts he is future star in our midfield ,that will be asking too much of him,Being loyal and patient is good attributes for a star to have,but they aren't what makes you a star

Home of Barca Fans