Sergi Roberto

Alarcón

To be honest if our new generation of players are talented and good enough to play in the first team we should adapt our system to their playing style. We can't force players like Sergi to train themselves to be a next Xavi. He should leave his stamp in Barcelona, but in his own way.

The point is not that Sergi plays differently from our current players but that he doesn't seem to have enough talent to be at the very top. Players coming through our ranks are mostly similar anyway, they've been taught or style of play their whole life so if anything, the few players who are different have to adapt. If we change our style, we might as well change the whole Masia because they all play the same.

Gundogan, Roberto, Thiago and others who are being mentioned are not Xavi-type players. They're all more attacking midfielders and none of them would handle Xavi's role in the team well enough. A safer bet would be to push a DM-type player with the right skills more forward. That's how Xavi became what he is, anyway...

I think Gündogan is pretty similar to Xavi, i.e. in his movements and his decision-making, what he does with the ball.... same applies to Thiago. If you want a carbon copy of Xavi, look up Óliver Torres... or like you said, moving a DM (Samper) more forward could be the solution.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

BbPHxzdIcAAkuuz.jpg:large

barcanuck

Fantastic game from Roberto! 3rd highest passer with 96 passes only Xavi and Busi had more. 96% passing too! I feel really comfortable with him on the pitch.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was a bit reserved imo.
Maybe he got instructions to pick his runs as he stood deeper than Xavi most of the time.
It's certainly easier to deal with Thiago departure when I see Roberto emerging in this Barca.
Hopefully, his agent isn't Pere Guardiola, eh? ;)

Galning

He is not flashy and as Bojan said more reserved but I don't see that as a bad thing. He had a good game in a midfield that totally dominated Celtic. He lets the forwards do their magic and he's just bossing it behind them. Great game :)

BibB

He was a bit reserved imo.
Maybe he got instructions to pick his runs as he stood deeper than Xavi most of the time.
It's certainly easier to deal with Thiago departure when I see Roberto emerging in this Barca.
Hopefully, his agent isn't Pere Guardiola, eh? ;)
He is not flashy and as Bojan said more reserved but I don't see that as a bad thing. He had a good game in a midfield that totally dominated Celtic. He lets the forwards do their magic and he's just bossing it behind them. Great game :)

I'd say under the radar more than reserved ala early Busquets.
He remined me a bit of Deco when he was being incorrectly slated IMO during his last few years at the club.

SwiftGuyver

He might not be as flashy as Thiago but he makes less mistakes. He pretty much always chooses the right pass, a trait which is vital for a Barcelona midfielder and one which Thiago didn't have. Watching Thiago the few times he's played for Bayern so far this season it seems he is still making silly errors throughout matches, he will have a couple moments of brilliance followed by a couple of sloppy passes etc. I'd say Thiago is probably the more 'special' talent but Sergi is more reliable & solid and actually suits Barca more.

Home of Barca Fans