Sergi Samper

khaled_a_d

Loans don't work for us unless your name is Tello.
Rafinha too ,but yes it isn't the best option ,although I think it is due to poor choice of loans .it can work better under someone who knows the best situation for every prospect to develop .Zubi was clueless in that department
That is why I think he should stay with B team ,get some Munir type of calls from 1st team when needed .but now he won't get minutes over either Rafinha or S.Roberto and if we sign someone in January he won't get minutes at all

I actually think he should be promoted, 20 years old is not that young nowadays. What weakness [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] ?

He is awful defensively for DM ,stupid reckless tackles that could cost card and not that gr8 in positioning himself ,can't control the game or the tempo .
He is basically a guy who would give you gr8 couple of throw pass and that's it . a sort of poor man non shooting 2015 version of Pirlo .
Right now he is closer to Marc Crosas than either Xavi or Busquets .the talent is their obviously and his flaws could be covered with better player and system but that could be said about any player in B team .why not promote Alen,Sandro,munir,Adama while we are at it?specially that most of them actually had better season
Samper has lost his starting position for good period of time in the worst team in Segunda while showing little to prove the coach wrong .i will be hesitant to promote him for the treble winning team right away
their might be a place for additional midfielder though and may be Lucho would want him

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Rayo and Paco Jemez could be a formidable choice for him if he is to be loaned out, granted if they would want him and give him a good amount of playing time.

Alen

Rafinha too ,but yes it isn't the best option ,although I think it is due to poor choice of loans .it can work better under someone who knows the best situation for every prospect to develop .Zubi was clueless in that department
That is why I think he should stay with B team ,get some Munir type of calls from 1st team when needed .but now he won't get minutes over either Rafinha or S.Roberto and if we sign someone in January he won't get minutes at all

He is awful defensively for DM ,stupid reckless tackles that could cost card and not that gr8 in positioning himself ,can't control the game or the tempo .
He is basically a guy who would give you gr8 couple of throw pass and that's it . a sort of poor man non shooting 2015 version of Pirlo .
Right now he is closer to Marc Crosas than either Xavi or Busquets .the talent is their obviously and his flaws could be covered with better player and system but that could be said about any player in B team .why not promote Alen,Sandro,munir,Adama while we are at it?specially that most of them actually had better season
Samper has lost his starting position for good period of time in the worst team in Segunda while showing little to prove the coach wrong .i will be hesitant to promote him for the treble winning team right away
their might be a place for additional midfielder though and may be Lucho would want him

Damn that's too bad. I lost track of him this year but i always thought he'd be good one day.

F

Flavia

Samper played well with the 1st team, this season. He's ready to have more chances.

Antimadridista1

The problem is that we actually have three players at his position ; Busi, Masche and Sergi Roberto.
Lucho also used Rakitic as a defensive midfielder a few times this season.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

And who exactly is he meant to control the midfield in tandem with? Bicho? Patric? Midfield Munir? Please. Even Halilovic is no help whatsoever in that regard. There's literally no platform for a player like him to perform in that team and the lack of trust from Vinyals says more about his coaching incompetence than anything else. You can't control tempo when there's no damn tempo to control. It's like expecting Xavi to turn a team like Sevilla or Atletico into Barca singlehandedly, can't be done. Regardless:

This is from a match in May. It's clear to see that he hasn't "lost" the abilities and instincts that made him a brilliant talent in the first place or that he's declined. It's a matter of setting and momentum. I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your assessment of him as a player, not at all the appropriate way to analyze his talent.

As for his defensive capabilities I won't argue with that. He's not a 'good' defensive player even for strong teams with good support, let alone a team where the defensive unit collapses with regularity. But that's really down to him not being a DM. He can be a good supporting defensive player but not a primary one. It's a positional change that's so obvious that every person who's ever paid attention to Samper can see it, he needs to be put where his best qualities are at the most use.

khaled_a_d

And who exactly is he meant to control the midfield in tandem with? Bicho? Patric? Midfield Munir? Please. Even Halilovic is no help whatsoever in that regard. There's literally no platform for a player like him to perform in that team and the lack of trust from Vinyals says more about his coaching incompetence than anything else. You can't control tempo when there's no damn tempo to control. It's like expecting Xavi to turn a team like Sevilla or Atletico into Barca singlehandedly, can't be done. Regardless:

This is from a match in May. It's clear to see that he hasn't "lost" the abilities and instincts that made him a brilliant talent in the first place or that he's declined. It's a matter of setting and momentum. I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your assessment of him as a player, not at all the appropriate way to analyze his talent.

As for his defensive capabilities I won't argue with that. He's not a 'good' defensive player even for strong teams with good support, let alone a team where the defensive unit collapses with regularity. But that's really down to him not being a DM. He can be a good supporting defensive player but not a primary one. It's a positional change that's so obvious that every person who's ever paid attention to Samper can see it, he needs to be put where his best qualities are at the most use.

_If Xavi (in his prime) was put in Sevilla or Atletico ,he may not make them play Barca ball but he will change their game immediately and it will be felt .even during Barca worst days during Gaspart era and when Xavi wasn't half the player he became he made his presence felt regardless the teammate

_Samper was never that guy ,you say "the lack of trust from Vinyals says more about his coaching incompetence than anything else." but whenever he played he didn't make his presence felt .even if the one who was playing his position was freakin Gambua or Patric
Even when that team was 3rd best team in Segunda ,he didn't control the tempo .never was his game and not to a level you would want in a Barca CM

-You are saying Samper isn't playing in his position ,but Eusebio played him in that position,Vinyals also did ,more important Lucho was asked directly if he sees him as CM and he said Samper is a DM not a CM .and the kid played mostly exclusive in that position
Saying he is playing out of position is an assumption and the fact that it is popular assumption doesn't make it more than one
We are talking about promoting him ,if the coach of 1st team says he is DM I don't know why we should act otherwise when he is promoted ? if the coach already said he is DM I don't expect him to suddenly change his opinion when he is looking to promote him

_I wish he can excel as CM but I don't know if he can ,it might be worth trying but I don't want that try to start in the 1st team ,there is no guarantee it won't back fire and he look even worse which could affect his career in the club
Also I See him as a poor defending Deep-lying playmaker in the form of Pirlo rather than a CM who controls the game in all ways like Xavi
Iniesta,Xavi,Thiago,Rakitic,Van Bommel ,Keita,Deco was the most successful CM/AM in the past decade and half and I can't say I see him playing close to any of them style wise and I might question where he fit.Again i think under good coaching and easing him in that position with B team or on a team he goes on loan is way better to get to know him better at that position

_I've watched most of Barca B games this season and a highlight video of an above average performance doesn't make me change my mind about him

_I said that being with 1st team will help him and he will look better ,but that is the case with all B team talents .Alen,Grimaldo,Sandro,Adama and even Dongou under tata looked better than they are with this Barca B .I don't see why Samper should be the one promoted when he probably was the worst of this pack during last few months(not counting Dongou)?

Again ,I am not denying the talent and I am not writing him off .but I don't see the benefit of promotion for the team and see it risky for him .his weakness is obvious and it is better to work on it one more year than rushing him with 1st team .We all see how quickly opinion on players change .we were arguing whether Deulofeu is the next Cr7 or robben and a year and half latter everyone was saying he will never make it.
BTW ,Halilovic for example is my favorite prospect in the B team and the one I believe he can make ,but I would like him to stay with b team too and disappointed with his promotion clause .It is nothing against Samperif I want him with B team to work on his weakness

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
To be fair, Samper played far better with the senior squad than with the shit show that we call a B team.

And comparing Samper to Xavi in his prime? Come on man. That's ridiculously unfair.

We've spent enough time stalling him in the B team. He should be promoted so that, at the very least, he can learn from the players we have in the senior squad.

Btw, he did a good job as a midfield metronome for the Juvenil A side he was a part of.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

To be fair, Samper played far better with the senior squad than with the shit show that we call a B team.

And comparing Samper to Xavi in his prime? Come on man. That's ridiculously unfair.

We've spent enough time stalling him in the B team. He should be promoted so that, at the very least, he can learn from the players we have in the senior squad.

Btw, he did a good job as a midfield metronome for the Juvenil A side he was a part of.

DonAndres is the one who brought Xavi to the discussion not me .I was replying to his point
As for playing better for 1st team .a quick question .should we dismiss a larger sample playing with B team for much smaller sample of good glimpses with 1st team
It is a serious question btw .because basically it affects most barca B talents

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
DonAndres is the one who brought Xavi to the discussion not me .I was replying to his point
As for playing better for 1st team .a quick question .should we dismiss a larger sample playing with B team for much smaller sample of good glimpses with 1st team
It is a serious question btw .because basically it affects most barca B talents

Regardless, the comparison shouldn't have been made because it is unfair to Samper.

Should we dismiss what he has done while playing with the Juvenil sides as well?

Besides, I think that what he does with the senior side, on a regular basis, is more important than what he does with the B team.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
That's one of the good things about Lucho staying is the youngsters will get time in the preseason and first half of the season, I'd love to see Samper get some minutes against lower LL teams, I believe he'd do well and it'd give us a better view of his abilities.

khaled_a_d

Regardless, the comparison shouldn't have been made because it is unfair to Samper.

Should we dismiss what he has done while playing with the Juvenil sides as well?

Besides, I think that what he does with the senior side, on a regular basis, is more important than what he does with the B team.

Non of the B team has played regularly with 1st team .Samper played 3 CDR games and 1 CL only with the 1st team in addition to friendlies .Munir last game played was in january & Sandro in December
And I didn't make a comparison ,I was replying to a point and then compared the style of playing not level .

Home of Barca Fans