Sergi Samper

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Non of the B team has played regularly with 1st team .Samper played 3 CDR games and 1 CL only with the 1st team in addition to friendlies .Munir last game played was in january & Sandro in December
And I didn't make a comparison ,I was replying to a point and then compared the style of playing not level .

Yes, but what he has shown with the senior team could be a glimpse of what he can do with good teammates. So I say we give him more chances with the team, especially since we are short one midfielder.

khaled_a_d

Yes, but what he has shown with the senior team could be a glimpse of what he can do with good teammates. So I say we give him more chances with the team, especially since we are short one midfielder.

There is a big chance that both Rafinha & S.roberto take much bigger role next year and there won't be a lot of time for him,And he would be still in the club if he stayed in Barca b and can get minutes whenever needed,It isn't like I am saying to ban him from 1st team :p

That's one of the good things about Lucho staying is the youngsters will get time in the preseason and first half of the season, I'd love to see Samper get some minutes against lower LL teams, I believe he'd do well and it'd give us a better view of his abilities.

if Samper impressed lucho in pre-season he should get promotion for sure,same goes for any other prospect let it be Alen or Munir or Sandro or Grimaldo .that is for sure

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Well Alen, Munir, and Adama have automatic promotion.

Grimaldo will probably get promoted because he only has a year left on his contract and Adriano could be off to Roma.

Let's compromise and say Samper should train with the senior team and play with the B team? Which is what he should have done this season, to begin with.

khaled_a_d

Well Alen, Munir, and Adama have automatic promotion.

Grimaldo will probably get promoted because he only has a year left on his contract and Adriano could be off to Roma.

Let's compromise and say Samper should train with the senior team and play with the B team? Which is what he should have done this season, to begin with.

That would be ideal IMO

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
_Samper was never that guy ,you say "the lack of trust from Vinyals says more about his coaching incompetence than anything else." but whenever he played he didn't make his presence felt .even if the one who was playing his position was freakin Gambua or Patric
Even when that team was 3rd best team in Segunda ,he didn't control the tempo .never was his game and not to a level you would want in a Barca CM

Samper isn't a carbon copy of Xavi, who had the biggest match-impact of any footballer I've ever seen, but still a deep lying playmaker. He loves to pass and look for space, playing a big role in transitioning the ball forward from deeper areas. Naturally, that means his game relies on the movement/abilities of those around him. There's no way he can look great when the midfielders he's playing next to are the likes of Bicho, Gumbau, Patric, Munir, Halilovic, etc.

A lot of Barca B games are composed of us having a hardcore struggle to bring the ball out of defensive areas because of the center midfielders being utter shit at making themselves available or being useful at all in buildup. IF we do bring the ball forward, it's either down the wings or scrappy long-balls. The other portion of matches is spent pinned back in our own half due to the pressure of the opponent and the tendency of our players to try to mount incredibly weak, rushed counterattacks that just lose possession again (refer to the Valladolid match as the most prominent example of this). Together, that leaves an incredibly small fraction of meaningful play for Samper to show his skills in buildup.

Good team performances are the environment that more accurately show what Samper is capable of and are a much more accurate representation of the kind of matches he'd face at top level than a chaotic relegation battle playing with B team scrubs. When he played with the first team against APOEL he was the best midfielder of the trio, and he stood out in other first team appearances as well. He showed a level of maturity at the highest level that absolutely none of his reserve teammates did other than *arguably* Sandro. He might not have been imperious with the B team but it's very hard to believe that any of Halilovic/Adama/Munir would perform better with the first team than he would.

-You are saying Samper isn't playing in his position ,but Eusebio played him in that position,Vinyals also did ,more important Lucho was asked directly if he sees him as CM and he said Samper is a DM not a CM .and the kid played mostly exclusive in that position
Saying he is playing out of position is an assumption and the fact that it is popular assumption doesn't make it more than one
We are talking about promoting him ,if the coach of 1st team says he is DM I don't know why we should act otherwise when he is promoted ? if the coach already said he is DM I don't expect him to suddenly change his opinion when he is looking to promote him

Lucho's changed his opinion on plenty of things. He moved Messi from CF to RW when he saw that'd be the best place for him in the team dynamic. For a more relatable decision, he moved Roberto to DM because he saw that he's better with more space/time and has the potential to grow defensively. Samper will, by default, have more first team chances this season than last (his growing older, Xavi leaving, etc.) and that can be extended further if he impresses Lucho in preseason. I'm willing to believe that Lucho will strongly consider him at more than just DM when Roberto is now seen as the de-facto rotator for Busi. If it's somewhat of a priority to give Samper minutes to develop but Roberto is occupying the DM position, Lucho can easily push him forward to accommodate. The list of reasons to push him forward is growing and I don't think Lucho will ignore it forever.

Moreover, on the point of Samper being Pirlo-esque rather than Xavi-esque I don't see how that is a negative. He might not play with the same type of authority as Xavi does but with Busquets' new responsibility and Rakitic, I don't consider that an issue. A 'Pirlo' type player still would have a large part in building plays and helping the team to control space even if he's not the one orchestrating everything. I'd honestly love to have a player of that profile successfully fit into our midfield since it's what I feel we need more of (someone who can pass between the lines from deeper areas to start attacks).

_I've watched most of Barca B games this season and a highlight video of an above average performance doesn't make me change my mind about him

It's not meant to prove that he's had a great season with the B team, because that'd be untrue. It just shows that his level and talent is still very much there even though the team he's playing in doesn't allow him to show it on most occasions.

khaled_a_d

Samper isn't a carbon copy of Xavi, who had the biggest match-impact of any footballer I've ever seen, but still a deep lying playmaker. He loves to pass and look for space, playing a big role in transitioning the ball forward from deeper areas. Naturally, that means his game relies on the movement/abilities of those around him. There's no way he can look great when the midfielders he's playing next to are the likes of Bicho, Gumbau, Patric, Munir, Halilovic, etc.

A lot of Barca B games are composed of us having a hardcore struggle to bring the ball out of defensive areas because of the center midfielders being utter shit at making themselves available or being useful at all in buildup. IF we do bring the ball forward, it's either down the wings or scrappy long-balls. The other portion of matches is spent pinned back in our own half due to the pressure of the opponent and the tendency of our players to try to mount incredibly weak, rushed counterattacks that just lose possession again (refer to the Valladolid match as the most prominent example of this). Together, that leaves an incredibly small fraction of meaningful play for Samper to show his skills in buildup.

Good team performances are the environment that more accurately show what Samper is capable of and are a much more accurate representation of the kind of matches he'd face at top level than a chaotic relegation battle playing with B team scrubs. When he played with the first team against APOEL he was the best midfielder of the trio, and he stood out in other first team appearances as well. He showed a level of maturity at the highest level that absolutely none of his reserve teammates did other than *arguably* Sandro. He might not have been imperious with the B team but it's very hard to believe that any of Halilovic/Adama/Munir would perform better with the first team than he would.

Lucho's changed his opinion on plenty of things. He moved Messi from CF to RW when he saw that'd be the best place for him in the team dynamic. For a more relatable decision, he moved Roberto to DM because he saw that he's better with more space/time and has the potential to grow defensively. Samper will, by default, have more first team chances this season than last (his growing older, Xavi leaving, etc.) and that can be extended further if he impresses Lucho in preseason. I'm willing to believe that Lucho will strongly consider him at more than just DM when Roberto is now seen as the de-facto rotator for Busi. If it's somewhat of a priority to give Samper minutes to develop but Roberto is occupying the DM position, Lucho can easily push him forward to accommodate. The list of reasons to push him forward is growing and I don't think Lucho will ignore it forever.

Moreover, on the point of Samper being Pirlo-esque rather than Xavi-esque I don't see how that is a negative. He might not play with the same type of authority as Xavi does but with Busquets' new responsibility and Rakitic, I don't consider that an issue. A 'Pirlo' type player still would have a large part in building plays and helping the team to control space even if he's not the one orchestrating everything. I'd honestly love to have a player of that profile successfully fit into our midfield since it's what I feel we need more of (someone who can pass between the lines from deeper areas to start attacks).

It's not meant to prove that he's had a great season with the B team, because that'd be untrue. It just shows that his level and talent is still very much there even though the team he's playing in doesn't allow him to show it on most occasions.

_I really don't buy that it is just a problem of having teammates argument at all ,I didn't expect him to be Segunda best player but he could have been way more .Samper has been Disappointment this season and it was on him just as it was on the team.he has been part of that problem you are talking about IMO not the victim .though I think at this point we would have to agree to disagree at that part

_Again and for the zillion time ,I didn't deny the talent ,he has it

_As for Pirlo argument ,we play 4-3-3 that in more detail it is more of 4-1-2-3 with 1 DM and 2 players in CM/AM role .Pirlo didn't played in that game plane .he played in Diamond midfield with Ancelotti with a gr8 defender in midfield like Gattuso and one of the best defense that has ever been behind him ,or 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 with Juve .to fit in our system he need to either learn to control midfield like Xavi or defend like Xabi Alonso .we can obviously evolve and develop our game .but he need to be good enough to be worth that

MessiDinho10

I would sell Roberto and Adriano and promote Samper and Grimaldo. I think those two are the closest to the level that is asked from a first team player. I'm not too sure of Munir to be honest, I prefer Sandro over him, but obviously Lucho doesn't. I just hope Grimaldo and Samper will succeed at our club, they are very likeable players and Samper has been at the club for almost his whole life.

Rafinha will likely benefit from Xavi's departure the most, I imagine all of Xavi's mins will likely go to him. I think Samper's future might have more to do with whether Rafinha can solidify himself more than anything else. If Rafinha makes strides in his game the board may be convinced not to buy Pogba next year, meaning Samper/Halilovic might have a greater chance especially if they impress in their mins with the first team.

Antimadridista1

Rafinha will likely benefit from Xavi's departure the most, I imagine all of Xavi's mins will likely go to him. I think Samper's future might have more to do with whether Rafinha can solidify himself more than anything else. If Rafinha makes strides in his game the board may be convinced not to buy Pogba next year, meaning Samper/Halilovic might have a greater chance especially if they impress in their mins with the first team.

What are you talking about mate ?

Samper is a defensive midfielder, he's a number 6.
Rafinha and Halilovic both are offensive midfielders and can also play as right wingers. Not the same position.

What are you talking about mate ?

Samper is a defensive midfielder, he's a number 6.
Rafinha and Halilovic both are offensive midfielders and can also play as right wingers. Not the same position.

He's played there but he's yet to show potential for being the lone defensive midfielder in our system which is why i put him there under the assumption that Lucho will see that he's more of a cm in my opinion. Which will leave him vying for either Rakitic's or Iniesta's position along with Halilovic and Rafinha.

MessiDinho10

He's played there but he's yet to show potential for being the lone defensive midfielder in our system which is why i put him there under the assumption that Lucho will see that he's more of a cm in my opinion. Which will leave him vying for either Rakitic's or Iniesta's position along with Halilovic and Rafinha.

Halilovic could also serve as Messi's stand-in on the right wing. All three should get their fair chance next season or the one after that in Alen's case.

I expect Rafinha + one other midfielder to get a shot atleast in the first half of the next season. Maybe one more if Lucho starts preserving Iniesta since he doesn't seem to care to play in all but the most important games anyway.

Zangash

Banned
Roberto is miles ahead of Samper right now

Don't be ridiculous. Roberto is a mediocre player surrounded by world class talent that masks over the deficiencies we all know he has. If you put him in that B team next to Patric and Gumbau/Halilovic he would be just as bad, if not worse, than Samper was with those same teammates.

Samper playing with the first team in the CL was better than anything Roberto has produced since getting promoted to the first team by far.

Home of Barca Fans