Sergi Samper

khaled_a_d

Don't be ridiculous. Roberto is a mediocre player surrounded by world class talent that masks over the deficiencies we all know he has. If you put him in that B team next to Patric and Gumbau/Halilovic he would be just as bad, if not worse, than Samper was with those same teammates.

Samper playing with the first team in the CL was better than anything Roberto has produced since getting promoted to the first team by far.

It was 1 game ,1 game against Apoel .and S.Roberto has been much better late in the season and Lucho counted in him while he didn't count on Samper.He counted on him as Busquets back up and used him against Valencia late in the game when we needed to play double pivot.Samper is yet to play against this level of opponents
Samper is more talented with bigger potential but right now S.Roberto is ahead of him .

Zangash

Banned
It was 1 game ,1 game against Apoel .and S.Roberto has been much better late in the season and Lucho counted in him while he didn't count on Samper.He counted on him as Busquets back up and used him against Valencia late in the game when we needed to play double pivot.Samper is yet to play against this level of opponents
Samper is more talented with bigger potential but right now S.Roberto is ahead of him .

Of course Lucho has counted on Roberto instead of Samper. Samper is a B team player, while Roberto is a first teamer who desperately needed to find a role after multiple straight seasons of mediocrity.

As I said before, put Roberto in that shit B team midfield and he would not perform any better than Samper did.

And seriously, you're discussing a 5 minute cameo against Valencia to argue Roberto's quality? Really?

khaled_a_d

I am not using 5 minutes to argue his quality ,I am using it to argue coach beleiving in him which is important and count for him
And Roberto has been with Barca B and has been much better than Samper,even last year when Samper was surrounded with much better team

Zangash

Banned
A brief cameo isn't enough to base anything on, sorry. The 5-0 against Madrid was completed by a Bojan assist to Jeffren, but where are they now? Surely being trusted by our greatest ever coach means something, right?

Last year was Samper's first season with the B team (at 18/19 years old) and it's not uncommon at all for players to take time to adjust before finding their feet with the B team. Roberto also wasn't played at DM at Barca B, as his inadequate qualities at CM were actually very useful for the B team. Since he's supposedly keeping Samper out of the team because he is a DM now, it's very fair to say he's probably not as good at DM as Samper is, as his ability to control the game and complete passes and dribbles are on a much lower level than Samper even with Samper being several years younger.

spark

I am not using 5 minutes to argue his quality ,I am using it to argue coach beleiving in him which is important and count for him
And Roberto has been with Barca B and has been much better than Samper,even last year when Samper was surrounded with much better team

That's quite vague. Better at what exactly? Samper when playing well was the player who performed the pivot role the best in recent years at Barca B and the difference when impostors like Illie have played has been obvious. Other players might be more robust than him, but those are your everyday cloggers. Samper was the one with the rare ability to pass between the lines and he showed it whether as a starter or from the bench. The guy was even voted as third captain after just one season. Sure this season he hasn't gone from strength to strength but in the first half of the season it did look like he had added to his game and become more aggressive. Reading over the thread in earlier pages of the 30's reflects that.

khaled_a_d

A brief cameo isn't enough to base anything on, sorry. The 5-0 against Madrid was completed by a Bojan assist to Jeffren, but where are they now? Surely being trusted by our greatest ever coach means something, right?

Last year was Samper's first season with the B team (at 18/19 years old) and it's not uncommon at all for players to take time to adjust before finding their feet with the B team. Roberto also wasn't played at DM at Barca B, as his inadequate qualities at CM were actually very useful for the B team. Since he's supposedly keeping Samper out of the team because he is a DM now, it's very fair to say he's probably not as good at DM as Samper is, as his ability to control the game and complete passes and dribbles are on a much lower level than Samper even with Samper being several years younger.

Sure not enough ,but it was enough for you to say

Samper playing with the first team in the CL was better than anything Roberto has produced since getting promoted to the first team by far.

A home game against mediocre side like Apoel was enough to say such absurd conclusion for you.may be that game will be like Bojan's ,Jefferson brief moments of brilliance ?

That's quite vague. Better at what exactly? Samper when playing well was the player who performed the pivot role the best in recent years at Barca B and the difference when impostors like Illie have played has been obvious. Other players might be more robust than him, but those are your everyday cloggers. Samper was the one with the rare ability to pass between the lines and he showed it whether as a starter or from the bench. The guy was even voted as third captain after just one season. Sure this season he hasn't gone from strength to strength but in the first half of the season it did look like he had added to his game and become more aggressive. Reading over the thread in earlier pages of the 30's reflects that.

I am not sure the question is about last year team or Roberto
But last year we were 3rd in the league .no doubt we were by far best team Barca b had in recent years with the exception of Lucho last year in 10/11
As for Roberto ,he never showed potential with Barca B and I was his biggest critic as he didn't have anything special,a good all around solid player but that's it
But Samper while showing gr8 vision and potential(something I've never denied) has showed a lot of weakness,you say he plays the pivot gr8 but yet eveyone wants him to be pushed more in the field to play Xavi role than Busquets role
There is no doubt Samper is the player with higher potential ,and if he reached half of his potential he will be way better player than S.Roberto .
But he still has work to do,and at this moment Roberto is ahead of him as 1st team player

xXKonan

Relevant I guess for this thread.

Barcelona wanted to include Alen Halilovic (19) in deal on return of Denis, but Sevilla has asked for B midfielder Sergi Samper (20). [catr]

khaled_a_d

How's Sevilla's midfield like? would he get time?

I think he would fit in Sevilla more than Halilovic whose style won't work their that much .Sevilla has just lost Mbia so he might has a place .but this is premature considering there is a long time in the market and their transfer plan isn't clear

Zangash

Banned
I think he would fit in Sevilla more than Halilovic whose style won't work their that much .Sevilla has just lost Mbia so he might has a place .but this is premature considering there is a long time in the market and their transfer plan isn't clear

Makes sense that they want Samper so badly, then.

I'd much rather they keep Denis than take Samper on loan, though. The risk of them benching him long term is far too high.

Antimadridista1

Samper would learn a lot and progress on his defensive weaknesses.
Good idea in my opinion, but only if he's guaranteed to play at least 25games.

Iborra,Krychowiak, Krohn-Deli.. who are the others defensive midfielders in their squad?

reDIOS10

I actually think we should stop sending our kids to Sevilla. They are just too good in la la liga. They just won Europa league without needing Deulofeu and Denis Suarez, so i don't think it's a good idea to send another one there,

Last edited:

Jombi

Iborra,Krychowiak, Krohn-Deli.. who are the others defensive midfielders in their squad?

These are some of the best mids in Spain. Samper can forget about playing time there.

khaled_a_d

Totally forgot they signed Krohn-Deli .would be tougher for Samper to get playing time

I actually think we should stop sending our kids to Sevilla. They are just too good in la la liga. They just won Europa league without needing Deulofeu and Denis Suarez, so i don't think it's a good idea to send another one there,
This is true ,they are very good team and I might actually rate them as good as top 10 teams in the world as it stands right now.
They seem to want our prospects as cheap squad rotational player .Deulofeu and Denis Suarez got playing time in the 1st half of the season to keep their rotation fresh and suddenly they were rarely used when it mattered

Barcafan 2304

What worries menus the progression of these players. Right now, I see no chance of them even being played and tested in our midfield. Sevilla are a strong side and we need to send them to a more mediocre primera side with the chances of playing time being high.

Home of Barca Fans