Sergi Samper

raki

Lucho prefers hard working players. It is no wonder actually. Maybe he doesn't see that much in samper and grimaldo really. Hard to guess but I am not too worried. Both samper and grimaldo are also not good enough. Let them play at B team regularly. It is not like they are too good for that team, at least that is not visible on the pitch.

Regarding Samper he´s wrong. Gumbau has no talent.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Lucho prefers hard working players. It is no wonder actually. Maybe he doesn't see that much in samper and grimaldo really. Hard to guess but I am not too worried. Both samper and grimaldo are also not good enough. Let them play at B team regularly. It is not like they are too good for that team, at least that is not visible on the pitch.

Would be the first person then.

Samper has been highly regarded by all the coaches of all age groups in the Academy and by the likes of Xavi and others too. If he leaves and someone like Gumbau stays then it's a failure of management, nothing else.

Lucho is good and has given chances to players like Rafinha, Sandro and Munir, but that doesn't mean he'll always be right.........or wrong for that matter, but anyone can see that Gumbau isn't a good fit, especially for the CDM role Lucho want him to play, a position he doesn't do well in or play much in even for the B team.

Go figure.

I'd like Samper to go on loan in January if possible. If Gumbau is so good then he can take his place in the B team. The only reason he's still playing for Barca B in Segunda B is because the club wasn't forced to loan him out or sell with a buy-back like with Halilovic who had a promotion clause.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Samper has been highly regarded by all the coaches of all age groups in the Academy and by the likes of Xavi and others too. If he leaves and someone like Gumbau stays then it's a failure of management, nothing else.

Bojan was wah highly regarded than any other youngster we had not named Messi ,some even rated higher him than Leo as La Masia prodigy.being regarded high in a youth team means you only deserve to be promoted to the next youth team.Samper got that .he still has to prove himself as B team phenomena to be promoted to 1st team.
Though Gumbau isn't better by any mean

Lucho is good and has given chances to players like Rafinha, Sandro and Munir, but that doesn't mean he'll always be right.........or wrong for that matter

And Samper ,he gave him the chance last year.he gave it to him last season and in pre-season .even when he was benched with Barca B he was the 1st midfielder to train with 1st team when needed
Something clearly turned Lucho off ,I am not Samper biggest fan but even me never rated Gumbau higher than him .
If Lucho changed his mind that way then something clearly turned him off behind the scenes .may be hype actually got into Samper head and he doesn't think he has to work hard ?may be he doesn't do what coach asks him to do in training .?
Icarium theory isn't far fetched tbh

but anyone can see that Gumbau isn't a good fit, especially for the CDM role Lucho want him to play, a position he doesn't do well in or play much in even for the B team.

That is what I can't get ,he is used out of position ,I mean Gumbau improved as CM for B team .Samper rarely played the position so if Lucho wanted a CM I might get the choice a bit.but playing him as DM just doesn't do the kid any favor

I'd like Samper to go on loan in January if possible. If Gumbau is so good then he can take his place in the B team. The only reason he's still playing for Barca B in Segunda B is because the club wasn't forced to loan him out or sell with a buy-back like with Halilovic who had a promotion clause.

It is the reason loan wasn't forced ,but it isn't the only reason .if we wanted to loan him we could have done it
B team simply need some depth ,some experience and continuity . He is needed for B team
Also I am not sure if he had a gr8 suitors for him as Halilovic did
As I said b4 ,Alen has a rare talent that coaches in smaller teams would be willing to have and could make them pass on his mistakes.his dribbling and ball control is on world class already .that would get him his minutes,same with Adama & Gerard
Samper is the guy whose game relies on being smartest player on the pitch .teams will always find a 25-30 years old player who could do his job most probably in Liga .
I doubt he would have got much playing time if he was loaned .he needed that extra year to refine his game .IMHO it is was the right choice not to rush him in loan .otherwise we would have our seasonal "that loan sucks" ,or "I told he was overhyped" meltdown we had with Gerard last couple of seasons

Last edited:

Galning

Why do people still say "has to prove at B team that blabla" ?

Can somebody tell me, what did Halilovic prove at the B team? The guy was on the bench almost the entire season while the team got relegated. Bossing it in La Liga at the moment.
What has Gumbau proven at the B team besides being absolute horsecrap?
What has Munir proven at the B team? Absolutely nothing and very underwhelming.

The only players of the current first team "youngster" generation who actually was alright with the B team was Sandro,and he didn't even stand out. Not more than Grimaldo, Samper, and others.

Players in recent history who actually stood out at the B team "and proved" that they were good enough were Bartra, Sergi Roberto, Rafinha, Deulofeu and Adama. Maybe even Denis Suarez.

Make up any argument you want but the "proof yourself at Barça B" one makes zero sense since that's not how player development works.

JamDav1982

Can somebody tell me, what did Halilovic prove at the B team? The guy was on the bench almost the entire season while the team got relegated. Bossing it in La Liga at the moment.
What has Gumbau proven at the B team besides being absolute horsecrap?

The only players of the current first team "youngster" generation who actually was alright with the B team was Sandro,and he didn't even stand out. Not more than Grimaldo, Samper, and others.

Players in recent history who actually stood out at the B team "and proved" that they were good enough were Bartra, Sergi Roberto, Rafinha, Deulofeu and Adama. Maybe even Denis Suarez.

Make up any argument you want but the "proof yourself at Barça B" one makes zero sense since that's not how player development works.

It is where he is at just now and his quickest way to the first team - start dominating games in midfield for the B team.

What other players have done or the situation they are in is irrelevant really. For Samper right now his quickest way to first team is to rule the B team!

silvia

what i simply don't get is that people always write a story about la masia player.
When a paper write bad about la masia player and write favorable to club, they just believe it like a clown
When they are not promoted, people always say it was their attitude problem that turned him off.
Hell, this is not a highschool. They maybe not hardworking 24/7 in the b team.
But that can't be a reason that coach wants to kick it out of the club! never. he just prefer other player.

Galning

It is where he is at just now and his quickest way to the first team - start dominating games in midfield for the B team.

What other players have done or the situation they are in is irrelevant really. For Samper right now his quickest way to first team is to rule the B team!

It is A way, not THE way as so many people are saying.

khaled_a_d

Out of 42 games Alen was starter in 22 of them(more than 50%) ,substituted in 7 more games ,was with NT in 4 other games and was injured in another 3 and also put out of squad for last game and IIRC it was to give chance to other player
So only 5 games out of 34 he was available and didn't play . so no he wasn't a bench player
And he proved himself in 2nd half of the season ,he improved in most aspects and showed more maturity .people were just too busy complaining about him not being what they thought he was
Nevermind the fact that Alen was already playing 1st team football b4 he arrived ,he has already proved a lot against men b4 joining us unlike Samper

Munir was best player in youth CL in 2014 and featured late in the season with B team and was brilliant .Lucho gave him 1st team chance most of the season and afterwards he was alright with B team in the 17 games he played

Rafinha,Suarez, Deulofeu and Adama are almost same generation as Samper and co ,Gerard is just 10 months older and Rafinha less than 2 years and Adama is actually 1 year younger
All of those were way better than Samper with B team and it isn't even close,except Adama and he was sold not promoted
And b4 that almost every other player not named Cuenca who had reached 1st team was gr8 with B team
Most other teams in Liga also do the same btw ,you don't get promoted because you are doing bad job with reserve team ,it is common sense you know?
In fact ,being good isn't enough ,you also need to show your game would translate in higher level

You can repeat this argument as you want ,it won't make it right man .B team is the easiest way for 1st team ,there is exceptions but they are still rare

F

Flavia

Why? Gumbau is getting chances and being with the 1st team all the time, and he hasn't shown anything with the B team. He was awful last season, didn't "dominate" anything, and has also been poor everytime he played for the 1st team. Yet he's traveling to Minsk.
Enrique's approach on this makes no sense or follows any rule, as gumbau is not even a dm. Samper has, at least, played well in the CL last season.

JamDav1982

Why? Gumbau is getting chances and being with the 1st team all the time, and he hasn't shown anything with the B team. He was awful last season, didn't "dominate" anything, and has also been poor everytime he played for the 1st team. Yet he's traveling to Minsk.
Enrique's approach on this makes no sense or follows any rule, as gumbau is not even a dm. Samper has, at least, played well in the CL last season.

Not saying Lucho is right to have Gumbau ahead of Samper or that he has dominated the B team.

Without looking at other players Samper has to show what he can do in B team. Force Luchos hand that he should be called up.

Regardless of Gumbau there are clearly question marks Lucho has over Samper just now and Samper needs to change that opinion by doing more.

Even if Lucho is making a mistake with Gumbau it should be easier to get ahead of such a player.

F

Flavia

Not saying Lucho is right to have Gumbau ahead of Samper or that he has dominated the B team.

Without looking at other players Samper has to show what he can do in B team. Force Luchos hand that he should be called up.

Regardless of Gumbau there are clearly question marks Lucho has over Samper just now and Samper needs to change that opinion by doing more.

Even if Lucho is making a mistake with Gumbau it should be easier to get ahead of such a player.

In theory, yes. But Enrique seems to choose players because he likes them, or because they "work hard" or some other random reason. His approach on this is weird. Not even one chance to Samper, yet he keeps calling Gumbau to play out of position. If Gumbau had at least showed something by now, to justify Enrique's insistence. But he has not. It's really weird, and hard to say what a player has to do right now to get a chance.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
This is how he played in preseason:

I am mean c'mon even if it against LA Galaxy this is some brilliant stuff, he couldn't have done better. His reward - benched for Gumbau. Maybe something happened between him and Lucho, I don't know, we probably will only learn about that when Mathieu will write his autobiography after he is retired:coffee:

Last edited:

Galning

Out of 42 games Alen was starter in 22 of them(more than 50%) ,substituted in 7 more games ,was with NT in 4 other games and was injured in another 3 and also put out of squad for last game and IIRC it was to give chance to other player
So only 5 games out of 34 he was available and didn't play . so no he wasn't a bench player
And he proved himself in 2nd half of the season ,he improved in most aspects and showed more maturity .people were just too busy complaining about him not being what they thought he was
Nevermind the fact that Alen was already playing 1st team football b4 he arrived ,he has already proved a lot against men b4 joining us unlike Samper

Munir was best player in youth CL in 2014 and featured late in the season with B team and was brilliant .Lucho gave him 1st team chance most of the season and afterwards he was alright with B team in the 17 games he played

Rafinha,Suarez, Deulofeu and Adama are almost same generation as Samper and co ,Gerard is just 10 months older and Rafinha less than 2 years and Adama is actually 1 year younger
All of those were way better than Samper with B team and it isn't even close,except Adama and he was sold not promoted
And b4 that almost every other player not named Cuenca who had reached 1st team was gr8 with B team
Most other teams in Liga also do the same btw ,you don't get promoted because you are doing bad job with reserve team ,it is common sense you know?
In fact ,being good isn't enough ,you also need to show your game would translate in higher level

You can repeat this argument as you want ,it won't make it right man .B team is the easiest way for 1st team ,there is exceptions but they are still rare

I disagree with almost everything. Not every player reacts the same way. Not every player can shine at low level even if they are good enough for La Liga, the type of football is totally different. The players around you as well.

Whether you disagree with this or not, the fact that Gumbau is getting minutes at the first team is an absolute joke.

Home of Barca Fans