Sergio Busquets

Meitux

Mascherano is not a player who fits Barcelona in the way of playing, his style doesn't fit the team. He is hard defensive midfielder with tackling but not enough for how Barcelona plays. Not comparable with the passing positioning vision to bring the ball calmy the ball to the other players like Busquets.

Stric

Mascherano would work great as DM if we played a double pivot. He's the muscle, Busquets is the brains.

Truthist

Masch as dm? He was a disaster playing there. And would be again, as a lone dm. The biggest weakness Tito's Barça had was 2 the lack of colective pressing and the 2 attacking fullbacks, leaving the back vulnerable.

Disaster playing there? How many times did he even play there? There was a CL tie v Arsenal I remember when he was excellent there and Busquets played CD and scored an embarrassing own goal.

From then on Pep never played Busquets in defence and put Mascherano there and not because he was a disaster but because we had no cover in defence and Busquets clearly was not a central defender.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Truthist

Mascherano would work great as DM if we played a double pivot. He's the muscle, Busquets is the brains.

I agree but then what to do with 2 of Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas? I reckon we could do with a no nonsense physical holding midfielder and concede 5-10% possession as long as we have a more solid foundation

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Anyway, defending isn't about tackling. If all your players have a good shape and in a good position, you can block the opponents options and force mistakes eventually, without a tackle being made. Sergio is always in a tactically good position. The others are reckless and ruin our shape, they might win the ball but overall our defence would be poorer.

Also, pace isn't an issue for a DM, all the best DMs today are quite slow. As I already explained (and you ignored) you need pace in the back four to prevent a counter. Even with a quick DM, he'd be too far away to make up ground in the counter.

Also you should be glad I called you a troll. That way I assume you're intelligent enough to know Sergio is good and are just trying to create reactions. If you're not a troll and genuinely believe those things, you just lack football knowledge and are an idiot, which is worse than a troll. For example, how the fuck can a dive prevent a counter when the other team has the ball? You realise that's impossible? You need the ball to dive.

Last edited:

Truthist

Anyway, defending isn't about tackling. If all your players have a good shape and in a good position, you can block the opponents options and force mistakes eventually, without a tackle being made. Sergio is always in a tactically good position. The others are reckless and ruin our shape, they might win the ball but overall our defence would be poorer.

Also, pace isn't an issue for a DM, all the best DMs today are quite slow. As I already explained (and you ignored) you need pace in the back four to prevent a counter. Even with a quick DM, he'd be too far away to make up ground in the counter.

Defending isn't ALL about tackling but it's a very important part of defending especially when we have a team where we don't have many tacklers so some variety is essential.

Sergio was tactically good but again that's an area which leaves quite a bit to discussion. Lately he presses far too high on the pitch and a simple pass past him negates him from his defensive duties.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I agree with you about pushing too high up sometimes. I think with Tata fixing the overall team pressing this will sort itself out.

F

Flavia

Disaster playing there? How many times did he even play there? There was a CL tie v Arsenal I remember when he was excellent there and Busquets played CD and scored an embarrassing own goal.

From then on Pep never played Busquets in defence and put Mascherano there and not because he was a disaster but because we had no cover in defence and Busquets clearly was not a central defender.

He didn't play there often because it was clear he was pretty bad at it. I really don't recall masch being good at dm for Barça. Masch as lone dm won't cut out for the current way Barça plays. If he hadn't cut it as cb, he'd probably had been sold after his 1st season.

Ursegor

World Champion
Barca's biggest problem last season were aerial balls, not "Busquets being slow".

Supercopa:

Barca 3 - Madrid 1: Madrid took the lead with a Ronaldo header after a corner.

La Liga:

Madrid 2 - Barca 1: Ramos header wins it.

Barca 1 - Madrid 3: Varane heads one in after a corner.

CdR:

Madrid 1 - Barca 1: Varane header equalizes.

CL:

PSG 2 - Barca 2: Thiago Silva wins the header which hits the post and Ibrahimovic taps in the follow-up.

Bayern 4 - Barca 0: First 2 goals conceded after corner kicks.

I'm hating the cunt that I personally find ugly but mixer doesn't but to be fair to Pique, we can't expect him to win aerial balls against Benzema, Ronaldo, Khedira, Ramos, Alonso and Varane on his own with the rest of the team being midgets.

We desperately need a tall centerback. I don't even care anymore if he's a world beater à la Thiago Silva. Just buy someone who is solid and a beast in the air. Mathieu will do. In normal play our pressing will protect us from 90 % of the damage anyway. On set pieces we're lost though.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans