Sergio Busquets

Truthist

Are u new here? People here just worship Bossquets. No way Mascherano>Busquets. His tackling and marking isn't that bad as you think, Busi just lacks pace, but compensates it with his positioning.... Sergi reads the game, Masch can't.

Sorry for the earlier reply, I don't know what happened. I'll try again! I don't think Mascherano got a fair crack of the whip if truth be told and although we lose ball retention if he plays there we are far more solid with a midfielder who actually doesn't mind putting his boot in rather than Busquets who only looks good if the teams in possession.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

PP10822

Regarding counter attacks busquets is the last person to blame. Alves and Alba seem to completely disregard their defensive duties, the pressing from the front 3 has been poor for the past year, except against AC milan, and Xavi and Iniesta don't exactly provide much defensively. IMO the problem is Alves and Alba, if you're that far up the pitch it is paramount that you keep possession and play safe but in the past year they've tried these intricate 1-2's, backheels lose possession cheaply then one chipped pass from the opposition completely bypasses Alves, Alba, Messi, Alexis, Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta leaving busquets with usually 2,3,4 midfielders/attackers coming at him. the rest of the team need more intensity in their defensive play.

Truthist

Alves and Alba are to blame as well and in my view both shouldn't be playing together. I would play Montoya ahead of Alves.

Coming back to Busquets he keeps the ball retention flowing but he's simply not up to the task when the opposition are breaking at speed. His best choice after that point is to dive and feign injury to win back possession because he simply cannot keep up with fast attackers.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I think you'll find most defensive midfielders are slow. He is one of the last people to blame, the counter shouldn't happen in the first place. He did his job fine in most of the conceded goals. Trust me he is perfect for our system.

If you bring in Song or Masch they might make up slightly more ground but they still wouldn't get back in time, the people who can realistically stop a counter are the centre backs and fullbacks. You'd also concede more counter attacks because their comparatively poor positioning leads to more chances against us. They are also much worse when in possession.

Defensively and offensively, Sergio is our best DM.

Last edited:

Meitux

Not really true about offensive abilities, he has non of them. Most people talk about Toure but his role is different from Sergio's, he is actually a complete player with attacking and defensive abilities, as it shown already he performed his best as box to box at City. Pep just wanted a player who will always stay back and cover rather get up and down the midfield like Toure does.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
By offensively I mean when we have possession, not joining in attack. He has great first touch, passing and awareness. The others not so much. I know Song can go forward occasionally and pick out good passes, but when it comes to doing his job and keeping it simple and effective in that area for the flow of our tiki taka, he is nowhere near Sergio.

Meitux

Yeah hes good on those. I don't really trust Song either, he lacks of decision making in important moments and hes not really comfortable in tight areas. I wouldn't want him as box to box next to Busquets or play ahaid of him in some ocassions, i don't think he will be so effective. Busquets in his role and Toure as box to box would fit well in the current moment as we would add strengh and more defensive abilities to our midfield. I know Song is a similar player but personally i think he is good getting forward but not so good.

Truthist

Yeah hes good on those. I don't really trust Song either, he lacks of decision making in important moments and hes not really comfortable in tight areas. I wouldn't want him as box to box next to Busquets or play ahaid of him in some ocassions, i don't think he will be so effective. Busquets in his role and Toure as box to box would fit well in the current moment as we would add strengh and more defensive abilities to our midfield. I know Song is a similar player but personally i think he is good getting forward but not so good.

Song is a fine player, he just needs to feel wanted and given a degree of confidence to flourish. I'm glad we got a new manager, the La Masia preference has to finish in order for us to become less predictable.

Truthist

I think you'll find most defensive midfielders are slow. He is one of the last people to blame, the counter shouldn't happen in the first place. He did his job fine in most of the conceded goals. Trust me he is perfect for our system.

If you bring in Song or Masch they might make up slightly more ground but they still wouldn't get back in time, the people who can realistically stop a counter are the centre backs and fullbacks. You'd also concede more counter attacks because their comparatively poor positioning leads to more chances against us. They are also much worse when in possession.

Defensively and offensively, Sergio is our best DM.

Most defensive midfielders can actually tackle, a trait I rarely see in Busquets. The demise of Xavi has exposed his weaknesses and I hope Tata is fair when it comes to selecting the right man for the job.

Galning

...when the opposition are breaking at speed. His best choice after that point is to dive and feign injury to win back possession...

x1hnuq.gif

barca1899

Coming back to Busquets he keeps the ball retention flowing but he's simply not up to the task when the opposition are breaking at speed. His best choice after that point is to dive and feign injury to win back possession because he simply cannot keep up with fast attackers.

gtfo-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2720.gif

Shegzy

Not really true about offensive abilities, he has non of them. Most people talk about Toure but his role is different from Sergio's, he is actually a complete player with attacking and defensive abilities, as it shown already he performed his best as box to box at City. Pep just wanted a player who will always stay back and cover rather get up and down the midfield like Toure does.

toure is better than keita,keita is better than song.pogba,kondogbia,capoue,maxime gonalons are the closest thing to yaya toure.how i wish we could get rid of song and get one of pogba,capoue and kondogbia but capoue is already heading to tottenham,juve would not sell pogba,sevilla want 20m for kondogbia.

Last edited:

Stric

Everyone seems to be a hater as soon as they point out the obvious... Busquets is many things, but he's not quick enough to deal with counterattacks and there's nothing hateful about saying that. I'm not even saying it's only his responsibility, we have other pacy players who should do their part (wink wink), but that doesn't mean Busquets isn't too slow for that.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
Everyone seems to be a hater as soon as they point out the obvious... Busquets is many things, but he's not quick enough to deal with counterattacks and there's nothing hateful about saying that. I'm not even saying it's only his responsibility, we have other pacy players who should do their part (wink wink), but that doesn't mean Busquets isn't too slow for that.

yeah right whereas the likes of makelele and other top DM's were faster than walcott

Home of Barca Fans