Sergio Busquets

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I think busquets is the best player to replace Xavi tbh, no other player shares the similar qualities of Xavi as much as he does, and a big plus hes quite good in defence too. Iniesta as AM, Busquets as CM and a world class DM who is strong, fast and good in defence = dream combo for the future.

Thats true but Samper isn't ready yet to replace Busi and I don't see many that can play a single pivot as a linchpin like Busi does

Ursegor

World Champion
I think busquets is the best player to replace Xavi tbh, no other player shares the similar qualities of Xavi as much as he does, and a big plus hes quite good in defence too. Iniesta as AM, Busquets as CM and a world class DM who is strong, fast and good in defence = dream combo for the future.

Read this a lot and disagree with it every time. Busquets wouldn't be as effective if he were to enlarge his action radius, make himself available all over the pitch and carry the ball with him into the final third. I've seen him do that a couple of times and it looked awkward everytime, most notably against Italy in 2012 there was a funny scene when the game was already won, he drove forward and stumbled over his own feet when he dribbled in the final third. His body stature isn't built for that role. He's best at releasing the ball with one and half touches and transition attacks from deep, not move around with it. The Real Sociedad game should be proof enough for now that it is no solution to move Busquets higher up the pitch.

Djab

BkeegwRCcAAM_Pd.jpg

Dat middle leg. :pep:

Cule4life

The Culest
Read this a lot and disagree with it every time. Busquets wouldn't be as effective if he were to enlarge his action radius, make himself available all over the pitch and carry the ball with him into the final third. I've seen him do that a couple of times and it looked awkward everytime, most notably against Italy in 2012 there was a funny scene when the game was already won, he drove forward and stumbled over his own feet when he dribbled in the final third. His body stature isn't built for that role. He's best at releasing the ball with one and half touches and transition attacks from deep, not move around with it. The Real Sociedad game should be proof enough for now that it is no solution to move Busquets higher up the pitch.

Yeah completely agree. But some people keep bringing it up as they keep drooling over the dream of one "maestro" passing the torch to another.

khorne

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you should also consider that watching someone playing in an unfamilar position once or twice will not show you the extend of his potential. If i trust any play to adapt to a new position, it's busquets. He has the required technique and vision, but also the work ethic and ambition to make it happen, even though the transition would probably take half a season.

I still wouldn't approve of him becoming xavi's heir though, because we would lose him as our pivote. you could argue about who is the world's best DM in absolute terms (for me, that's still busi) but for this barca side, for our style of play he is the best, hands down. even if he performs exceptionally as a CM, it would be an overall downgrade i'm afraid

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Going through the first pages. Many interesting posts. Shows how remarkable Busi's growth has been.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Thats something only a few coaches have recently found out that Busi is Barca's linchpin you take him out and our play falls apart

To certain extent that is really true. I don't know which match it was in the last 10 months or so but there was one that highlighted this perfectly. Full pressure on Busi and the buildup just comes to a halt. Amazing player, we are so lucky to have him.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Worst player on the pitch by far tonight, IMO. I just want to punch his face right now. Unforgivable.

Home of Barca Fans