Sergio Busquets

Zidane82

The only thing I remember is him lying on the floor when Mertens shot on goal. There was no difference when he replaced Frenkie, only that he slowed the game down.

Busqs takes one and occasionally two touches .. how can that be slowing things down FFS ?!?!?

Some of you think that because he does not run fast that he cannot think or pass quickly !!!!

No wonder half of you hate him ..

It is FDJ who slows things down as he has to take a few touches or have a dribble around .. he rarely sees the quick pass or through ball .

FDJ is one of by favourite players incidentally

FinBarcelonafan

Busqs takes one and occasionally two touches .. how can that be slowing things down FFS ?!?!?

Some of you think that because he does not run fast that he cannot think or pass quickly !!!!

No wonder half of you hate him ..

It is FDJ who slows things down as he has to take a few touches or have a dribble around .. he rarely sees the quick pass or through ball .

FDJ is one of by favourite players incidentally

I don't know man. Ajax played very fast when Frenkie played for them. It was joy to watch.

Rory

Not sure what game Busquets fan club were watching. Frenkie was passing much quicker yesterday. He managed 2 key passes playing from dmc. And a good amount of passes in general with a high success rate.

His first game getting to play the Busquets role and we didn’t look any worse for it. Busquets arrived in a game where Napoli had ran themselves out of gas which is a common thing this Napoli side do. Not to mention as the game went on there was a greater emphasis on us chasing a much needed goal. Highlight of Busquets night was lying on the floor as Mertens got to have a very good chance on goal.

Bobo32

Not sure what game Busquets fan club were watching. Frenkie was passing much quicker yesterday. He managed 2 key passes playing from dmc. And a good amount of passes in general with a high success rate.

His first game getting to play the Busquets role and we didn?t look any worse for it. Busquets arrived in a game where Napoli had ran themselves out of gas which is a common thing this Napoli side do. Not to mention as the game went on there was a greater emphasis on us chasing a much needed goal. Highlight of Busquets night was lying on the floor as Mertens got to have a very good chance on goal.

That situation with Mertens was about the same as the goal, where Frenkie marked no one and was aware of nothing, even after the rebound. Busquets reacted well in time but fell while trying to turn, shit happens.

Frenkie played a decent game in his passing statistical wise, he did find a few good passes and he is seldom failing at finding a team mate most of the time. He is a very talented player, especially technically. The problem with his game, especially from this position, is more deep and I can't explain it using statistics. You have to be aware that two identical passes has never been made in the game of football, hence, you need to use your eye and your brain when judging a player, especially in that deep playmaking role. Watching Frenkie and his movement, timing and decisions, is to me a bit like listening to a singer singing out of tune, while watching Busquets give me the same sense of completion and joy as listening to something by Bach. I thought the game under Frenkie was too much on the outside, too safe and unthreatening, I was constantly a bit disappointed in his positioning. A few times, by chance, he arrived with the ball at his feet facing forwards after a backwards pass, and from there he is patient and could spot players a few times in between the lines, but Napoli were aware of these players as the progression was pretty slow and obvious, it didn't really lead to much. A few times he could arrive with runs from deep, that's when he threatened the most, but not really so great in my opinion to have the lone dmc do these runs too much as it leaves gaps for counters. I thought a better position for him was the one from last game, as I wrote in my previous post.

It is very much about taste and style and so on though. I am strengthened in my belief that Frenkie shouldn't play DMC after yesterdays game, but maybe there is a place for him to do it once in a while anyway when Busquets could use some rest, and it should be taken into account that Frenkie didn't play the role that much.

Zidane82

His first game getting to play the Busquets role and we didn?t look any worse for it. Busquets arrived in a game where Napoli had ran themselves out of gas which is a common thing this Napoli side do. Not to mention as the game went on there was a greater emphasis on us chasing a much needed goal. Highlight of Busquets night was lying on the floor as Mertens got to have a very good chance on goal.

We were unrecognisable as Barca before Busqs came on ... if you are happy to see us with no game plan or shape then so be it .

I like us to play like Barca

Zidane82

That situation with Mertens was about the same as the goal, where Frenkie marked no one and was aware of nothing, even after the rebound. Busquets reacted well in time but fell while trying to turn, shit happens.

Frenkie played a decent game in his passing statistical wise, he did find a few good passes and he is seldom failing at finding a team mate most of the time. He is a very talented player, especially technically. The problem with his game, especially from this position, is more deep and I can't explain it using statistics. You have to be aware that two identical passes has never been made in the game of football, hence, you need to use your eye and your brain when judging a player, especially in that deep playmaking role. Watching Frenkie and his movement, timing and decisions, is to me a bit like listening to a singer singing out of tune, while watching Busquets give me the same sense of completion and joy as listening to something by Bach. I thought the game under Frenkie was too much on the outside, too safe and unthreatening, I was constantly a bit disappointed in his positioning. A few times, by chance, he arrived with the ball at his feet facing forwards after a backwards pass, and from there he is patient and could spot players a few times in between the lines, but Napoli were aware of these players as the progression was pretty slow and obvious, it didn't really lead to much. A few times he could arrive with runs from deep, that's when he threatened the most, but not really so great in my opinion to have the lone dmc do these runs too much as it leaves gaps for counters. I thought a better position for him was the one from last game, as I wrote in my previous post.

It is very much about taste and style and so on though. I am strengthened in my belief that Frenkie shouldn't play DMC after yesterdays game, but maybe there is a place for him to do it once in a while anyway when Busquets could use some rest, and it should be taken into account that Frenkie didn't play the role that much.

You are wasting your time .. the Busq haters do not really understand the finer points of the beautiful game

You will be labelled a troll and they will all jump on the bandwagon every time you post now ...

Bobo32

You are wasting your time .. the Busq haters do not really understand the finer points of the beautiful game

You will be labelled a troll and they will all jump on the bandwagon every time you post now ...

I am already labelled a troll so it is fine. I enjoy putting words to what I see on this bulletin board, I'll continue.
As I see it, seeing and understanding Busquets was always a lackmus test for understanding the type of football that could destroy football under Pep. I see it a lot when talking to people IRL too, the more players and managers I speak to understand about space and time aspects of the game, positional play and so on, the more they rate Busquets.

I want to be a bit more humble though than those calling me a troll. These are different views of the game and it is fine. It is maybe not only about "understanding" but also about taste, and Busquets is a player exactly in my taste.

Rory

Not a Busquets hater, I think he should have a severely reduced role as he did yesterday. Worked pretty well for the team don’t you both think? Frenkie there whilst the opposition has more energy to press which Busquets would struggle with more. Then when the game slowed down Busquets is introduced.

Bobo people thought you were a troll because of your Puig comments, they were and still are extremely over the top despite him never really showing the level you claim he does. Now that people know it’s just your opinion on Puig I and others don’t label you a troll for it. I also agree Busquets lying on the floor was similar to Frenkies ball watching on the goal.

Andresito

Staff member
Nobody is arguing that Busi was a vital part of our midfield for years.

His biggest strength was his consistency. In 2008 when he came up he used to make silly mistakes as well but he ironed them out with game time.
Back then you always knew Busi was a safe point, give him the ball and it'll be kept in the team. He'd cut out passes i defence with his long legs (which even gave him the nickname Octopus of Badia).

He lost balls in his prime too, but today he misplaces passes more often, can't dribble out of tight situations as often, doesn't cover as much defensive ground as before, has problems positioning himself properly in defence.

His playing style is extremely demanding as it puts the player in very tight and dangerous situations. Unfortunately, the rate of mistakes is a lot higher than it used to be. That and his lack of physique makes him a liability in modern football.

Zidane82

I am already labelled a troll so it is fine. I enjoy putting words to what I see on this bulletin board, I'll continue.
As I see it, seeing and understanding Busquets was always a lackmus test for understanding the type of football that could destroy football under Pep. I see it a lot when talking to people IRL too, the more players and managers I speak to understand about space and time aspects of the game, positional play and so on, the more they rate Busquets.

I want to be a bit more humble though than those calling me a troll. These are different views of the game and it is fine. It is maybe not only about "understanding" but also about taste, and Busquets is a player exactly in my taste.
Same

He has always been my favourite Barca player down the years apart from the brief time we had Ibra

:)

Dammie10

I know exactly what you mean. His split second intuition to create danger or to bring up the speed of play is very limited but he?s beginning to progress in it. He mostly goes out of the flow and takes too much time in order to kill the attack. IMO he did it indeed much better against Espanyol with faster decision and everybody got the ball on the right moment. Yesterday again he almost never loses the ball and it reaches his teammates but not on the right moment to keep the attack dangerous. You also must pick the right one to play too. Its just that vibe instinct that you have but you can get better in it although never as good as someone who?s born with it. Busquets his intuition is fantastic in that sense. He even is too quick sometimes so the ball is played, with the person not being there yet.

There are 2 possibilities. If you dont go with the flow of the attack then you must create fantastic passes to compensate that and still create danger. Or you play quick enough to make the team effort better. None of the 2 will make you a irritating player that ruins attacking football.

Last edited:

Bobo32

I know exactly what you mean. His split second intuition to create danger or to bring up the speed of play is very limited but he?s beginning to progress in it. He mostly goes out of the flow and takes too much time in order to kill the attack. IMO he did it indeed much better against Espanyol with faster decision and everybody got the ball on the right moment. Yesterday again he almost never loses the ball and it reaches his teammates but not on the right moment to keep the attack dangerous. You also must pick the right one to play too. Its just that vibe instinct that you have but you can get better in it although never as good as someone who?s born with it. Busquets his intuition is fantastic in that sense. He even is too quick sometimes so the ball is played, with the person not being there yet.

There are 2 possibilities. If you dont go with the flow of the attack then you must create fantastic passes to compensate that and still create danger. Or you play quick enough to make the team effort better. None of the 2 will make you a irritating player that ruins attacking football.

I agree, he is somewhere in the middle of these two styles and it is tough to consistently make good use of him for a team like Barcelona I think.
I spoke to that (in my opinon genius) dutch coach I once played under and told you about a long time ago the other week, and we came to talk about de Jong and his future. He thought de Jong should look for a way out from Barcelona as soon as possible, as the styles don't really match, what do you think?

Dammie10

I agree, he is somewhere in the middle of these two styles and it is tough to consistently make good use of him for a team like Barcelona I think.
I spoke to that (in my opinon genius) dutch coach I once played under and told you about a long time ago the other week, and we came to talk about de Jong and his future. He thought de Jong should look for a way out from Barcelona as soon as possible, as the styles don't really match, what do you think?

Yess I remember. I think it will be a problem for him to play consistently at every topteam in Europe because of this issue. They all want fluint football with no one breaking up promising attacks. At Barca it?s indeed even more important to play constantly great balls at speed. Then his best league would be Italy. There the speed is lower and they tend to take more time at the ball.

I think it?s not because of this but maybe a club with a double pivot. A great player adjust to a system if he has to play a double pivot or more a central mid with a 6 behind him. A through ball stays a through ball from both positions. I understand that some more sensitive players are having problems with that but the real ones are bossing them all. So for me it?s based on his qualities and form.

If he managed to play more like the Espanyol game with energy and fast one/two touches at the right moment then perhaps he will progress. Also less safe options and more intuition solutions on the ball. Otherwise it?s just a matter of time when Gavi and Pedri will stay at the cm positions and Busi as 6. Those first 2 were playing great stuff yesterday in the last minutes and look like made for eachother. Napoli?s goal were on heavy attack duo to them.

Home of Barca Fans