Seydou Keita

adil_909

ok i know people read my posts and just look the other way because they think i'm blindly supporting yaya, but i really want someone to explain to me what keita's role in our team is.

he plays in midfield, but he doesn't defend well and he doesn't attack well. he's just...there. and i've noticed this soooo many times, when keita is playing, xavi always drops deeper and deeper to get the ball, which in turn causes messi to drop deeper and deeper. people say that keita runs much more than toure, but come on, toure brings a totally different dimension to our play. toure doesn't run as much because he knows his job is to win the ball back and to get rid of it. simple. but keita, man i just don't know. he's just floating around all over the field and doesn't contribute much in attack or defense. we gave inter's midfield so much time on the ball today to pick passes to eto'o and milito, and that's because busquets and keita who are supposed to be clogging midfield were not able to. largely because keita is anonymous all game because drifts forward, doesn't get the ball, runs back, doesn't get the ball, and just runs and runs and runs. that's useful on occaison, but now when you are trying to retain possession and get stuff going. i swear over 60% of the time he was in front of xavi, i mean wtf is that.

so yes, i am really curious what people think keita contributes to this team. i honestly am at a loss for words. meta maybe you can write one of your summaries they are usually spot on about players. i just do not understand why keita starts in games like this. i think the only time keita should play is if we are leading and we need someone to run around and hassle the opponent.

beef-supreme

ok i know people read my posts and just look the other way because they think i'm blindly supporting yaya, but i really want someone to explain to me what keita's role in our team is.

he plays in midfield, but he doesn't defend well and he doesn't attack well. he's just...there. and i've noticed this soooo many times, when keita is playing, xavi always drops deeper and deeper to get the ball, which in turn causes messi to drop deeper and deeper. people say that keita runs much more than toure, but come on, toure brings a totally different dimension to our play. toure doesn't run as much because he knows his job is to win the ball back and to get rid of it. simple. but keita, man i just don't know. he's just floating around all over the field and doesn't contribute much in attack or defense. we gave inter's midfield so much time on the ball today to pick passes to eto'o and milito, and that's because busquets and keita who are supposed to be clogging midfield were not able to. largely because keita is anonymous all game because drifts forward, doesn't get the ball, runs back, doesn't get the ball, and just runs and runs and runs. that's useful on occaison, but now when you are trying to retain possession and get stuff going. i swear over 60% of the time he was in front of xavi, i mean wtf is that.

so yes, i am really curious what people think keita contributes to this team. i honestly am at a loss for words. meta maybe you can write one of your summaries they are usually spot on about players. i just do not understand why keita starts in games like this. i think the only time keita should play is if we are leading and we need someone to run around and hassle the opponent.

Work rate, box to box presence. Perfect player for pressuring the opponents when they're on the ball and turn over possession.
However, when he is sloppy with his passing and his tackling and pressuring, all his running and hassling goes to waste which is what happened today.
Pep also likes to use him further forwards which got him quite a lot of goals for his position and style, but today's game was just not suited to Keita right from the off.

barca96

i like his work rate and his presence every where on the field.
but like adil said, he is not good at defending and also not good in attacking. and is not really good in passing either.
should've been subbed for yaya, our only other available midfielder.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
All he's offered is work rate for quite some time now beef, there haven't been goals like early on in the season. He offers nothing creatively and the likes of Xavi and Messi have to do so much more. If we'd had Iniesta playing tonight instead I think we'd have won tbh.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
very poor performance from keita. he saw a lot of the ball and could only pass sideways with it.

he got forward well enough but even then was ineffective. he should have launched himself at abidal's cross instead of slowing down and watching it sail by. it was a tap-in if he had been committed enough.

barca96

very poor performance from keita. he saw a lot of the ball and could only pass sideways with it.

he got forward well enough but even then was ineffective. he should have launched himself at abidal's cross instead of slowing down and watching it sail by. it was a tap-in if he had been committed enough.

i was expecting him to do a diving header..he is capable of that!

zanela

I've always believed Keita to be an excellent squad player. He'd be great at a level below, for your sevillas, valencias etc. But he just won't do as a starter for Barca, esp in the big matches, Sorry. He does offer work rate and make those runs in the box. But when you look at other parts of his game which are essential for a Barca player, he doesn't 've it - passing, ball control, vision, ball retention. Very Average. He does bring a diff dimension but that doesn't make up for his deficiencies. We really do need a worthy sub for Iniesta. Someone who can atleast offer a half of Iniesta's creativity and passing range.
I have been anti-Cesc so far. But i 've changed my stance on this transfer. If Iniesta isn't playing, i know who i'd rather 've between Cesc and Keita in midfield. Even with injuries, we can still put out a strong midfield . Cesc for Barca 2010 ! :D

barca96

I've always believed Keita to be an excellent squad player. He'd be great at a level below, for your sevillas, valencias etc. But he just won't do as a starter for Barca, esp in the big matches, Sorry. He does offer work rate and make those runs in the box. But when you look at other parts of his game which are essential for a Barca player, he doesn't 've it - passing, ball control, vision, ball retention. Very Average. He does bring a diff dimension but that doesn't make up for his deficiencies. We really do need a worthy sub for Iniesta. Someone who can atleast offer a half of Iniesta's creativity and passing range.
I have been anti-Cesc so far. But i 've changed my stance on this transfer. If Iniesta isn't playing, i know who i'd rather 've between Cesc and Keita in midfield. Even with injuries, we can still put out a strong midfield . Cesc for Barca 2010 ! :D

finally another approval :p

btw i thought that even yaya would do a better job today.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I agree with zanela too, and almost all of us have thought that way in any or other point this season, but my question is: He has clearly been Pep's first in choice in midfield, even pushing Don Andrés to the wing when fit, which rules out playing him just because we have no one else, so is Pep deluded or are we missing something?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I agree with zanela too, and almost all of us have thought that way in any or other point this season, but my question is: He has clearly been Pep's first in choice in midfield, even pushing Don Andrés to the wing when fit, which rules out playing him just because we have no one else, so is Pep deluded or are we missing something?

for most of the season you've been missing something.

the work he gets through in midfield is ridiculous - you have to see him live to truly appreciate it.

plus he's left-footed which balances out the midfield.

however for most of the season he's been good with the ball, decent at worst. but today he was very poor and it completely stifled any attacking play we could formulate.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
for most of the season you've been missing something.

I though so... At the beginning of the season, I was like "WTF is Pep thinking", then I was like "Ooooohh, I see now", but in the last couple of games I'm back to the start... I find intriguing that part about witnessing him live, could you elaborate or is it one of those "can't put it to words" kinda thing?

Home of Barca Fans