Seydou Keita

nebeer

Love is All
When asked about the relationship between Guardiola and Ibrahimovic, he commented: “I also do not speak to Guardiola. I am here to work and earn. The boss speaks to me on the field, and always makes sure that I am able to do the best for the team.”

V

vittorio

great player. just wanted to say this cuz he is so under-rated. wish u a good season seydou!:keita:

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
When asked about the relationship between Guardiola and Ibrahimovic, he commented: “I also do not speak to Guardiola. I am here to work and earn. The boss speaks to me on the field, and always makes sure that I am able to do the best for the team.”
such a classy guy. love you seydou.

nebeer

Love is All
great player. just wanted to say this cuz he is so under-rated. wish u a good season seydou!:keita:

Yeah, a very good player and probably the most underrated one at Barca. He should be getting more minutes and wish the best to him. I'm glad that he plays with us.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Things just didn't work for Keita today. He was played in his position but somehow looked out of sync.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Our whole midfield looked profusely out of sync and was nonexistent throughout the game.

Can't really figure out why, though.

Maybe the internationals...? Beats me, really.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Didn't add anything yesterday, part of a non-existent midfield. Xai and Andres should start together on Tues though so I expect Busquets will be back in.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's always hard to evaluate Keita's performance... If you look at it, he rarely really "adds" something to our attacking midfield, he's more of an unsung hero that works his ass off to make others look good and make sure everything stays in place, so most of the time rating him depends on the performance of others... I wouldn't be so harsh on him because I think there was really nothing he could do to make things better, he is not there the create chances or score goals and he isn't there to make saves, he provides balance that can only be found if everyone else on the team is doing their job well...

Birdy

I really dont get it ... Why some people see Keita as a good player and at the same time didnt give Hleb a chance and were so hard in their criticism?

Suppose all this is correct: Keita is a hard-working player, athletic, box-to-box and his role is to cover for the others, to defend and not to make quality attacks..

Then, why Keita is always playing in this left midfielder position?:
-------1--------
----------------
----2-----------
------------3---
something between a left midfielder in a midfield of three, a left winger, and a left back (during the games he features temporarily these roles when needed..)
He is playing as you can see more advanced than number 2 (usually xavi)..
When attacking, if he receives the ball there, he mostly does 2 things: slow the build-up process and either pass to the left back or the number 2 and somtimes even more backwards to number 1..
He is unable of making any intelligent move..
He also loves leaving his position and getting into the box.. He has scored many times like that.. But, this is not his role..
When defending he can press the oposition there, but he is so advanced that his pressing is useless there, because if he manages to win the ball back, he cannot dribble, neither make an intelligent quick pass like iniesta or Xavi..
And when the oposition surpasses his level and gets to number 2, he is again useless because he cannot accelerate and get behind them..

The only usefull thing i notice in his play is winning headers.. It is the only thing he is good at.. And we all know that barca is not an English team that waits for the corners to attack, so why keeping the guy so long?

And all this considering that he plays the number 3 in the diagram, not the number 1.. He has played very very few times number 1, for the obvious reason that Toure and Sergi were better there (and mascherano also from now on..)..
I dont understand why Pep believes him so much, and didnt believe Yaya last year? He can play the anti-Iniesta role much much better..
We all know that (untill now) if iniesta is fit, the Xavi-Iniesta infront of number 1(Sergi and Toure in 08-09) is almost undroppable ..
And what? the first-choice Iniesta sub is Keita? a not only lower-level player but a so different in his movements than iniesta? why?

I remeber the away nights in Chelsea '09 and in Milan '10, when he playd 90 minutes in both.. He was so, so, inadequate for our level...

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Only really bothered to read the first sentence, but it's very easy. Hleb is shite, isn't good enough to play for Barcelona. Keita, excellent player, proved himself many times playing for us.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Birdy, Keita does usually play a bit further up than Xavi because Xavi drops back to collect the ball and organize the play.
Although.. If you watched our opening match of La Liga, Keita played as a second DM partnered with Busquets.
I wouldn't be too much bothered with positions though. Pep changes formations and sometimes (quite often actually) during a single match as well.

He's not a world class player that's for sure but it's kinda hard to compare when he has World's best midfielders to measure up to. Keita is very useful though. For one thing, he is great in air and we know how lacking we are in that department.

Home of Barca Fans