Shinji Kagawa

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be a good buy for whoever lands Kagawa at this discount price. And then there's the prospect of all those shirts being sold in Japan.

M

mitkoa7x

It'll be a good buy for whoever lands Kagawa at this discount price. And then there's the prospect of all those shirts being sold in Japan.

I doubt the kit sales in Japan would go sky high, they had our whole squad riding on the metro and no one recognized them.

M

mitkoa7x

I just read United have 659 milion fans over the world, with half of them from Asia and Pacific area. With Park facing imminent retirement Kagawa can start selling shirts. Now I see what Bojan meant. Japan may be ignorant as to who Barca is but apparently they know who Man United is.

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
Shinji Kagawa close to £12m Manchester United move

Manchester United are closing in on the signing of Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa after agreeing a deal in principle with his club Borussia Dortmund.

The 23-year-old has still to agree personal terms but United expect negotiations to progress smoothly.

The initial fee for Kagawa is in the region of £12m, rising to £17m depending on success and appearances.

Who is Shinji Kagawa?

A 23-year-old playmaker whose 13 goals in 31 games helped Borussia Dortmund win the Bundesliga title. Kagawa was a bargain when he joined from J-League side Cerezo Osaka for just 35,000 euros in 2010.

"Some details are to be confirmed," Dortmund director Michael Zorc said.
The expected arrival of Kagawa is likely to excite United's vast Asian fanbase, with the future of South Korea midfielder Park Ji Sung uncertain.

On Tuesday, United claimed their fanbase had almost doubled in the past five years to reach 659 million "followers" globally. Asia accounts for 325 million of those.

United had hoped to have completed a deal for Eden Hazard, but with the Belgium midfielder opting to pursue a move to Chelsea, Sir Alex Ferguson has acted swiftly.
Kagawa has shone for Dortmund this season, scoring 13 goals in 31 Bundesliga matches, as the German club won a league and cup double.

Ferguson was present when Kagawa scored in Dortmund's 5-2 win over Bayern Munich in the German Cup final this month, with the player able to play wide or in a more central role.

Despite Kagawa's obvious appeal in Asia, United commercial director Richard Arnold denied any suggestion players were signed to boost profits.

He said: "Our popularity in certain countries or regions may depend, at least in part, on fielding certain players from those countries or regions.

"We don't sign players to sell shirts. We are reliant on 25 players and they are all massive stars. We have 25 George Clooneys.

"When you look at the success we've seen in that part of the world [Asia], it isn't down to any one player or person.

"For Manchester United, it's more than any one player. It was more than George Best, it was more than Bryan Robson, it was more than David Beckham, it was more than Cantona, than Park."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18262878

Robbie

Great signing for United. I was wondering why it took so long for Ferguson to sign a proper attacking midfielder.. he's ridiculously stubborn. At one point he was playing Rooney in that position

Doobs

The Messiah
Park Ji Sung: I think we'll sign Kagawa, I say this becoz I just bumped into Bobby Charlton, he patted me & said welcome to the club, Shinji

:lol:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Park Ji Sung: I think we'll sign Kagawa, I say this becoz I just bumped into Bobby Charlton, he patted me & said welcome to the club, Shinji

:lol:
:lol: really!?

If so, Park got ridiculously good sense of humor :lol:

Last edited:

veryfatchocobo

I just read United have 659 milion fans over the world, with half of them from Asia and Pacific area. With Park facing imminent retirement Kagawa can start selling shirts. Now I see what Bojan meant. Japan may be ignorant as to who Barca is but apparently they know who Man United is.
Uh... Japan is by no means ignorant regarding Barcelona. Their playstyle at all their NT levels represent Barcelona with amazing success. They used to be battered by Korea until they realized they had the players to dominate the ball and possession. Another reason why I wanted Shinji Kagawa here at Barcelona, but I guess it's not to be anymore...

hellsangel1

Are Barca not really popular in Japan???? I thought football was the second most popular sport in Japan (with baseball coming in first).

Home of Barca Fans