Spanish Super Cup: Barca - Bilbao 1-1 (1-5 agg.)

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
In retrospect i think would be better to not have gone to the US at all. Its been a tiring pre-season with all the globetrotting to America and back. Perhaps it would be best to keep things simple in the future, especially with a thin squad and transfer ban.

EnriqueSDS said it best: "Barcelona-California-Washington DC-Florence-Barcelona-Georgia-Bilbao in 23 days. In the same period of time that Barça played 7 matches spanning 13 time zones, Athletic played 6 matches and only flew over 8 hours once."

Yes but the real question is, how much money did Athletic make from their tour ? :bartomeu:

Barcadub

The players believe they can win this Super Cup and they are definitely up for the challenge.

Could be a sensational night. We need 2/3 goals in the first half.

Come on Barcaaaaaaaa

silvia

:rakitic:yeah. we could have trained teamwork and prepare for san meme instead of trapping players in the flight for that long days.
it surely affected.:neymar:

i_bleed_blaugrana

I'm done defending Bartra. This game finished his career at Barca.

Not a lot to say that hasn't been said already, clear to see that our current bench is simply not good enough. For a player who makes his bread and butter on distribution and keeping it simple, Roberto has a habit of giving away costly turnovers.

It seems that the only hope from La Masia currently is Rafinha and maybe Sandro but even then, they both need to show more to convince they deserve to be counted on by Lucho. Samper could be a better sub for Busquets than Mascherano, but we aren't going to see him in the first team anytime soon.

Its just clear to me that we need to have at least one of Iniesta, Rakitic or Busquets in particular starting at all times, or else we lack any control of the game through the midfield. The bigger problem for me is that even with all three on the pitch, they got outclassed through the center by Madrid in both clasicos and Arda isn't necessarily going to make anything better in this regard. As hard as he is to get the ball off of, I wouldn't describe him as a player who can dictate the teams tempo.

Honestly, this should show that we need to make a serious, long-term acquisition of a fairly young player who fits this caliber in the midfield. Iniesta is not getting any younger and the fact that he is becoming instrumental to our tempo when that isn't his strongest qualities as a midfielder is pretty worrying to me. There is a plethora of players we could chose from, superstars and sleepers, who could fit the bill here.

Its easy to believe MSN is the answer to everything but we mainly succeeded last year because we caught people by surprise when it looked like we had faltered. Arda and Vidal will certainly help change our tactical dynamic but every team and every coach is going to be studying how to break us down like they did with Pep during his time. The necessity to plug the holes in this squad is vital to staying ahead of the competition this time around instead of slipping and letting them catch up.

San Mames has been a notoriously difficult stadium for us in the past and I think its no question that our preseason preparations had a big part to play in this, as well as 120 minutes in Georgia. We can win 5-0 at the Camp Nou but it will take a perfect performance, from Lucho's line-up and tactics to execution from the players, to make it happen.

Also, don't discount Athletic. They are an excellent team with true quality in their ranks and I am not surprised they pounced on us like they did, eager to get some vengeance for the CdR defeat. We should also seriously get Laporte.

Barcilliant

Laporte? Seriously????

Abdennour is better and cheaper.

Laporte gets exposed pretty often. Surprised people are still on his bandwagon.

Barcilliant

Thing with the sextuple is that it is a shame to lose one of the 3 supercups if you have already achieved the incredible treble thriumph

That's life-you cant win every trophy all the time.

To be honest Lucho's line up surprised me more then the result.

Dead tired, out of form and not physically fit plus some shitty play from our bench players.

Anyway hoping for a win on Monday! We need some sort of boost going into the new season.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

That is routine for Bayern. Smash domestic teams and when they come up against a decent team in Europe they fluff their lines.

Yeah, they always do. They are practically the new Bayer(n) Leverkusen of Europe... :stupid:

ceefoo

Its just clear to me that we need to have at least one of Iniesta, Rakitic or Busquets in particular starting at all times, or else we lack any control of the game through the midfield.
If Lucho didn't know that before this game, he will now.

There is a plethora of players we could chose from, superstars and sleepers, who could fit the bill here.
Name names?

San Mames has been a notoriously difficult stadium for us in the past and I think its no question that our preseason preparations had a big part to play in this, as well as 120 minutes in Georgia. We can win 5-0 at the Camp Nou but it will take a perfect performance, from Lucho's line-up and tactics to execution from the players, to make it happen.
There were a number of factors that led to this defeat:

- Freak, centre-circle goal
- Individual errors
- Complacency
- Lack of match sharpness/fitness
- Tiredness from not being fully fit and 120 minutes, two days earlier (re: those that played)
- Wrong team-balance
- Clever, clinical, effective tactics from opponent
- Only second competitive game of the season. (Anyone can get caught cold at this stage!)

That being said: Athletic fully deserved to win. :tiphat:

You can say that some of those players are not good enough for Barca, and that may be true in terms of the First XI. But, they are good enough to be in our squad imo. However, when they all decide to have a bad game, all at once, you get the following performance.

Too many on here are getting carried away after ONE bad result and writing them off and saying they should never play for Barca again, they should be sold, they should kill themselves etc.

... Some perspective is called for.

PhilS

Bravo needs to start this game, to get ready for La Liga. It might be time to just go with Bravo, including in cups.

I would either rest or play less than 90 minutes Alves, Suarez and Messi. The only player from last game who earned time for this game was Sandro. This would be a good game to get Munir on the field.

It's time to move on re Pedro. He's ruined forever for Barca, send him to City or wherever, take the money to use in Jan.

PhilS

Ceefoo, perspective is needed, but . . .

The long goal was a complete fuckup by Ter Stegen, for no good reason.

Penalties two games in a row by fullbacks is horrendous, combined with fullbacks getting beat and making bad errors.

Lucho had to use his bench, like usual the manager looks stupid when his players are to blame.

The way Barca plays, midfield depth is absolutely essential. This is looking grim.

Egert

Estonian Culé
We have done it once, but back then we lost 3-1 away to Sevilla. Then 4-0 at Camp Nou.

Right now the situation is worse ofc and the team isn't looking very good. But if the fans are behind the team and our best players are in form and the defenders are on top of their game also, we have 60% chance of coming back from this crap. We need to believe, if we don't, we should not be fans of this great club. Faith dies last.

Let's do it tomorrow!!!
Visca el Barca!!! :barcascarf:

Home of Barca Fans