Spanish Super Cup: Barca - Bilbao 1-1 (1-5 agg.)

Neimax

Bad match yesterday. But we mustn't overrate it as the season hasn't really started yet and we played with a lot of substitutes, and some of them like Bartra or Sergi Roberto simply don't have the quality to play in this team. Some Bartra fanboys may try to **** me now, but everyone who sees him play regularly and looks at his (non-existent) development will confirm this. And no, it's not Luchos fault that he doesn't play him more, it's his own fault as he never makes something out of the chances he receives. But of course it's not only the fault of these two players mentioned above, but from the whole team as no-one reached their normal level yesterday. The only thing I'm really worried about is our defensive attitued. I hoped that they change it after preseason, but it doesn't seem so. Enrique really has to fix that out, but as he said, if there's a team that is able to comeback in the 2nd leg after a 4-0 trashing, then it is Barcelona.

serghei

Meanwhile, Bayern smashed Hamburger 5-0.

Who the hell cares about Bayern? It's not march-april yet.

[MENTION=20103]Flavia[/MENTION], good read indeed, but it doesn't say anything that hasn't been discussed on here already, like the fact that our bench players can't be trusted to win a game vs. a good opponent. Bilbao is not even top 5 in La Liga, that's food for thought.

Lucho should really stop rotating as much, it's his stupid rotations that got him almost fired in the first place. Until january, when Arda and Vidal can play, we need to treat almost every game with our best 11. That is if we want to win La Liga again.

Last edited:

jairzinho

Who the hell cares about Bayern? It's not march-april yet.

[MENTION=20103]Flavia[/MENTION], good read indeed, but it doesn't say anything that hasn't been discussed on here already, like the fact that our bench players can't be trusted to win a game vs. a good opponent. Bilbao is not even top 5 in La Liga, that's food for thought.

Lucho should really stop rotating as much, it's his stupid rotations that got him almost fired in the first place. Until january, when Arda and Vidal can play, we need to treat almost every game with our best 11. That is if we want to win La Liga again.

Treble season aside, Lucho still seems naive as hell to think he can show up with any team and win. An embarrassing defeat like this would serve us well going into the season. Lots to learn from.

alittlebitter

the team was terrible in pre-season and barely won against sevilla 3 days ago. Not surprised we got smashed with a b-team considering the first team managed to concede 4 goals vs sevilla.

barcanuck

The trashing was deserved but the scoreline a bit exaggerated. We could of made it 1-1 with Pedro hitting the post or Messi in the box shooting right at the goalie. That was early 2nd half still. Glad this melt down game happened now though.

No Barca of 6 cups for Lucho but I'll take 5 if we can pull of the CWC!

Mido

I remember last season there was this "golden rule" that Enrique ((un)consciouly) applied : no matter against whom we played there was always at least one amongst the following players starting : Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets.

Iniesta and/or Busquets starting would have been key to calm down Athletic's eagerness to press us miserably.

The most blameworthy player for me was Mascherano. He litteraly ruined the build-up and didn't seem to know what he was doing. I am more than sure that Roberto would have fared better as a DM.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
The most blameworthy player for me was Mascherano. He litteraly ruined the build-up and didn't seem to know what he was doing. I am more than sure that Roberto would have fared better as a DM.

Agreed, Roberto could've done a better job at DM.

I remember Masch saying that he knows that he's no Busquets, which suggests he's aware of his limitations. It's a mystery why he keeps playing there whenever we rest Busquets.

AzaR

Not too much of a concern. Will be a shame if we aren't able to win all 6 trophies but not a disaster.

We only played 1 of our starting back 5 and none of our starting midfielders.

Was one of those freak results where the opposition manage to score every shot on target. The focus should be the opening liga game.

jairzinho

In retrospect i think would be better to not have gone to the US at all. Its been a tiring pre-season with all the globetrotting to America and back. Perhaps it would be best to keep things simple in the future, especially with a thin squad and transfer ban.

EnriqueSDS said it best: "Barcelona-California-Washington DC-Florence-Barcelona-Georgia-Bilbao in 23 days. In the same period of time that Barça played 7 matches spanning 13 time zones, Athletic played 6 matches and only flew over 8 hours once."

bismp

Thing with the sextuple is that it is a shame to lose one of the 3 supercups if you have already achieved the incredible treble thriumph

Home of Barca Fans