Summer Olympics Paris - 2024

serghei

The IBA won't even confirm what type of tests they did or how they did those. The IBA banned the Algerian after a Russian boxer got beat. That's how this garbage even started. There's no shred of evidence they even did any tests.

Based on confidentiality they could not disclose results, logical. The bigger question is why did the boxers accept the results and the subsequent disqualification. Once they did that, they legitimized them as valid. That's how it goes. You have means to dispute it, but if you don't do it, it's like an admission of guilt.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Based on confidentiality they could not disclose results, logical. The bigger question is why the boxers accepted the results. Once they did that, they legitimized them as valid. That's how it goes.

Read up on the IBA.
I'm strictly against any trans-shit and allowing men to compete with women and all that garbage, but if you cannot understand the politics behind the suspension and how suspicious that entire ordeal was then I cannot help you.

The issue now is that even if she gets tested by a third party and is cleared would people like you believe her or would you rather believe an organization that's pariah in boxing these days and full of conflict of interest?

serghei

Read up on the IBA.
I'm strictly against any trans-shit and allowing men to compete with women and all that garbage, but if you cannot understand the politics behind the suspension and how suspicious that entire ordeal was then I cannot help you.

I cannot understand why did they not appeal to CAS. Maybe you could explain that.

You do understand the way the justice system goes in sports? You are unhappy about a decision, you appeal to CAS. A romanian gymnast did it days ago, and got the bronze medal back from USA in floor finals.

serghei

The issue now is that even if she gets tested by a third party and is cleared would people like you believe her or would you rather believe an organization that's pariah in boxing these days and full of conflict of interest?

I'd find it hard to believe, but I'd still like the question to be asked. The male-like appearance of these athletes comes from something. That's most likely Y chromosomes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
She did appeal, then withdrew it at the end. Why no one knows, but for all I care she might as well get a third party test done and see what comes out.

serghei

She did appeal, then withdrew it at the end. Why no one knows, but for all I care she might as well get a third party test done and see what comes out.

One of them didn't appeal at all. The other did it and dropped it, so the IBA decision remained final. There's legal ways to dispute it, but if the athletes don't do it, questions have to be asked.

The solution is not the IOC way in any case, which is just don't test and you don't have to face the eventual results.

serghei

It depends if you are a person of a certain kind of principles or not. If you are not, then the subject is mundane.

Loki

With the last discipline in XX basketball coming up, that don't interest me and I definitely won't watch the closing ceremony, I think it's a good time to finish here (from my part).

It had of course it's ups and downs. Like everything in today's time, the olympics couldn't be seperated from political agendas. It started with that opening ceremony, that wanted to "shock and provoke" traditional values, but ended up only shocking and provoking those, from whom they feared no backslash. Apart from that, presenting the athletes on boats was a nice idea, but poor implementation. Neither the flag carrier, nor the athletes could be seen properly, because either water fountains blocked the view, or you couldn't see details on the overcrowded boats in the middle of the Seine. Last but not least the downpour felt like a judgement from above, on what they and many others thought of that ceremony.
Paris as the city of crime stayed true to its reputation and first news of theft and rape appeared even before the olympics started. An absolute record number of 45.000 police officers had to protect a sports event, that should bring the world together. It seems like it also brought many together that don't accept these values.

But the problems were not only around the olympics, but in the middle of the sports too. Discussions about filthy Seine water, the too shallow pool for the swimmers ,inadequate testing in boxing because of political agendas are only a few examples. In terms of food, beds, air conditioning it wasn't any better. Many teams brought their own cooks, ingredients, even beds to the event or simly ate/lived outside the olympic village.

Well reading all of this, you might think it was the worst olympics in history, but it had also many upsides and highlights, thanks to the top athletes of course. Just a few of many highlights were Spain winning gold with our boys Eric Garcia, Cubarsi and of course Fermin, who scored 6 goals and was the main reason for Spain getting gold. Despite the shallow pool, we saw world records in swimming and a continuous domination from swimmers like Hedecky. Duplantis managed to keep the stadium excited and full despite the late hour when he jumped his world record. US athletes kept their domination on the running track, as well as China in diving and SK in archery. The turkish athlete in shooting became a word known meme for his casual style as well.
Volleyball, Canoe and table tennis were always interesting to watch as well.
There were some other nice surprises too like the german shot put win in the last try or the Pakistani javelin gold. We also saw many good examples of sportsmanship between athletes, something you might forget watching only agressive, bad mannered football.

Of course I must not forget and find a special mention to the female beach volleyball athletes, who managed to keep me interested like no other discipline ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Overall, China is leading with 40 gold medals to US 39, who can catch up in the very last discipline played right now. In terms of overall medals, US is leading with 126 to China's 91.
--
I've gotten used to the olympics in these 2 weeks and watched definitely way more than I intended to thanks to the awesome performances of the athletes. I'll probably tune in into some archery, swimming and athletics championships in the future thanks to the olympics. And if anything, then it definitely helped to pass the time until the new LaLiga season starts.
Thanks to all for the participation in this thread, especially to @Maradona37 and @Messi983. I learned quite a bit reading your posts and also got some weird knowledge, like about imperial furlongs!

Horatio

You're welcome
It depends if you are a person of a certain kind of principles or not. If you are not, then the subject is mundane.

What principles? Never seen someone apply double standards as casually as you here on forum. No sorry. Can think of two that do it more often.

Last edited:

Maradona37

With the last discipline in XX basketball coming up, that don't interest me and I definitely won't watch the closing ceremony, I think it's a good time to finish here (from my part).

It had of course it's ups and downs. Like everything in today's time, the olympics couldn't be seperated from political agendas. It started with that opening ceremony, that wanted to "shock and provoke" traditional values, but ended up only shocking and provoking those, from whom they feared no backslash. Apart from that, presenting the athletes on boats was a nice idea, but poor implementation. Neither the flag carrier, nor the athletes could be seen properly, because either water fountains blocked the view, or you couldn't see details on the overcrowded boats in the middle of the Seine. Last but not least the downpour felt like a judgement from above, on what they and many others thought of that ceremony.
Paris as the city of crime stayed true to its reputation and first news of theft and rape appeared even before the olympics started. An absolute record number of 45.000 police officers had to protect a sports event, that should bring the world together. It seems like it also brought many together that don't accept these values.

But the problems were not only around the olympics, but in the middle of the sports too. Discussions about filthy Seine water, the too shallow pool for the swimmers ,inadequate testing in boxing because of political agendas are only a few examples. In terms of food, beds, air conditioning it wasn't any better. Many teams brought their own cooks, ingredients, even beds to the event or simly ate/lived outside the olympic village.

Well reading all of this, you might think it was the worst olympics in history, but it had also many upsides and highlights, thanks to the top athletes of course. Just a few of many highlights were Spain winning gold with our boys Eric Garcia, Cubarsi and of course Fermin, who scored 6 goals and was the main reason for Spain getting gold. Despite the shallow pool, we saw world records in swimming and a continuous domination from swimmers like Hedecky. Duplantis managed to keep the stadium excited and full despite the late hour when he jumped his world record. US athletes kept their domination on the running track, as well as China in diving and SK in archery. The turkish athlete in shooting became a word known meme for his casual style as well.
Volleyball, Canoe and table tennis were always interesting to watch as well.
There were some other nice surprises too like the german shot put win in the last try or the Pakistani javelin gold. We also saw many good examples of sportsmanship between athletes, something you might forget watching only agressive, bad mannered football.

Of course I must not forget and find a special mention to the female beach volleyball athletes, who managed to keep me interested like no other discipline ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Overall, China is leading with 40 gold medals to US 39, who can catch up in the very last discipline played right now. In terms of overall medals, US is leading with 126 to China's 91.
--
I've gotten used to the olympics in these 2 weeks and watched definitely way more than I intended to thanks to the awesome performances of the athletes. I'll probably tune in into some archery, swimming and athletics championships in the future thanks to the olympics. And if anything, then it definitely helped to pass the time until the new LaLiga season starts.
Thanks to all for the participation in this thread, especially to @Maradona37 and @Messi983. I learned quite a bit reading your posts and also got some weird knowledge, like about imperial furlongs!
Nice timing as I just logged on (just briefly to check notifications) and it's a good closing post.

No problem on hanging out here the last two weeks - I actually missed the first day or two as I was busy, but from then on I watched most of the swimming and athletics. Sadly with everything going on at once those were the main sports I was able to watch. I really enjoyed them though.

You have summed up the Olympics well, and yeah, as you say, it's impossible to seperate crime and politics from sport unfortunately. They are intertwined.

Also, another little thing - I think some people were taking us a bit too literal with our sexualising the women athletes. Of course we are straight men and love women, but it was generally just a bit of a running gag. Yes plenty of these women are beautiful, but the most important part was seeing how excellent they are at their sports. Even when I was fast when younger I would have been beaten by Sydney McLaughlin and Gabi Thomas, for example (taking their likely doping into account). Like I say, it was just a running gag (like you with the beach volleyball players) and I think a few took it too literal.

But overall, it's been a good Olympics and the one I have watched the most in many years. It's inspired me to try to get fitter and clean up my diet, as well as to maintain my interest in sports such as swimming, athletics, handball, volleyball and climbing. And I assume it will also inspire a new generation just getting into these sports, who will be the Olympians of the future - that's what it is all about, inspiring regular people.

I am also pleased you picked up some new knowledge, like imperial furlongs etc. There was some funny banter there too.

Cheers for the good post mate.

Home of Barca Fans