Summer Olympics Paris - 2024

Maradona37

And yeah, I think the main thing that I at least have taken away from this, is how other sports have participants who respect each other and accept when they come second, third, etc. There were a few exceptions, but as Loki says and as was discussed before that too, plenty of the athletes were happy for each other. Fiercely competitive yes, but they accepted silver or bronze.

That's in stark contrast to the 'win at all costs' and downright cheating and cuntery we see from footballers most weeks, in most leagues. So yeah, it was a nice change of pace.

Loki

And yeah, I think the main thing that I at least have taken away from this, is how other sports have participants who respect each other and accept when they come second, third, etc. There were a few exceptions, but as Loki says and as was discussed before that too, plenty of the athletes were happy for each other. Fiercely competitive yes, but they accepted silver or bronze.

That's in stark contrast to the 'win at all costs' and downright cheating and cuntery we see from footballers most weeks, in most leagues. So yeah, it was a nice change of pace.
100% agree. While you saw often tears of joy for silver and bronze medals here, in most football finals you always see footballers take off their silver medals the second they leave the stage. An arrogant attitude has crept in in football, where only the first place counts and the second place is the first loser. It projects a very bad picture, especially to the youth watching and teaching them only to think in extremes, that only winning counts.
It takes away the recognition for good performance despite losing in the final / semis and this leads often to frustration, bad manners and cheating. I don't even know how you would change it in football.

khaled_a_d

I cannot understand why did they not appeal to CAS. Maybe you could explain that.

You do understand the way the justice system goes in sports? You are unhappy about a decision, you appeal to CAS. A romanian gymnast did it days ago, and got the bronze medal back from USA in floor finals.

Because it costs shit load of money in comparison to the amount she makes, and she will gain nothing from it. The IBF is about to get dissolved and IOC is asking National federations to start a new amatuer boxing federation to replace it, she would participate in the Olympics normally, IOC supported her decision.

Zero gains for someone to go on trouble to prove she is a woman, a humiliating process for her.

Most of those athletes in the region barely make a living from their sport man, a lot end up in poverty before retirement or even retire because of poverity and having to work another job to survive, in many cases that include Olympian champions.

And again, you think fighter with Y chromosome would lose 9 fights before the age of 25 from other females? That is laughable shiticks

Maradona37

100% agree. While you saw often tears of joy for silver and bronze medals here, in most football finals you always see footballers take off their silver medals the second they leave the stage. An arrogant attitude has crept in in football, where only the first place counts and the second place is the first loser. It projects a very bad picture, especially to the youth watching and teaching them only to think in extremes, that only winning counts.
It takes away the recognition for good performance despite losing in the final / semis and this leads often to frustration, bad manners and cheating. I don't even know how you would change it in football.
That's a good thing you have brought up - I first noticed that a few years ago when Man United players got their losers medal in a cup competition (I believe it was when they lost that long shootout to Villarreal) and immediately took them off. Other teams have started doing it now. That's a horrible example to set. Like you say, it undermines the possibility that a team did very well in the semis or final and were just unlucky to lose, and it was still a big achievement to get there. I know a club like Man United see themselves as above the Europa League, so coming second feels like an insult to them, but it's still a good competition and it's good going to get to the final and only lose on a long penalty shootout.

I have only saw it from some clubs thankfully, not all. Some seem to respect the spirit of the game and keep their medals on when they come second. There is now an attitude of 'first is everything and second is nowhere' - as if being second best in the Champions League, or PL, or La Liga, or World Cup, or Euros somehow makes you rubbish. These are ultra-elite levels these guys are competing at. Sometimes finals can be a washout, but generally they are fairly close as you need to be a decent team to even make a final.

I feel it's putting a lot of pressure on kids and teaching them the wrong values to spit on second. I am sure some people will come in and say I am being a lefty snowflake or something, but ultimately the pressure these athletes are under is unbelievable and they need to realise that to be 2nd in the world is still an enormous achievement, in the event they don't finish first.

Someone has to finish first, someone second, someone third, someone last etc. It's the way sport works. Ultimately it's still a fantastic achievement to even compete at the elite level, even if you aren't a contender.

KingLeo10

I mean, US rolled up with:

LBJ - 2nd best player of all time in most people's eyes
KD - Top 12 player all time and possibly the best scorer ever
Curry - Top 12 player all time and best 3 point shooter ever

Joel Embiid - 7 foot monster, MVP
Anthony Davis - MVP level player
Tatum - MVP level player
Anthony Edwards - All-NBA level player

and a few other all-star level players :lol:

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

It's a shame the US basketball team won as the team is full of arrogance. Also, Noah Lyles and Simone Biles. Can't seem to enjoy their victories without shoving down your throat about how great they are. It repulses me. 🤮

What is even more sad is when people make excuses for it, and the worst of all when people say it is what 'helps them win ' 🤮

No, it doesn't help them win, there is never any excuse for it, and it completely destroys their enjoyment of their victory and their life generally, with Ronaldo being the best example of that.

I personally wouldn't look twice at any of these lot if I saw them in the street as any interaction would only be based on me WORSHIPPING them and I ain't about that life.

KingLeo10

What would be fun would be US v old Yugoslavia (just from a basketball talent perspective).

Jokic and Doncic along with a bunch of other sharp shooters and bigs could give US a game.

Maradona37

It's a shame the US basketball team won as the team is full of arrogance. Also, Noah Lyles and Simone Biles. Can't seem to enjoy their victories without shoving down your throat about how great they are. It repulses me. 🤮

What is even more sad is when people make excuses for it, and the worst of all when people say it is what 'helps them win ' 🤮

No, it doesn't help them win, there is never any excuse for it, and it completely destroys their enjoyment of their victory and their life generally, with Ronaldo being the best example of that.

I personally wouldn't look twice at these lot if I saw them in the street as any interaction would only be based on me WORSHIPPING them and I ain't about that life.
Yeah I hate the idea that you need to be arrogant to be good or the best, and that arrogance makes you perform better. I see that as bollocks.

Arrogance is actually a very double-edged sword, and leads to hubris. It's CONFIDENCE that people need, and there's often a fine line between it and arrogance.

Seeing as you mentioned him, Look at the hubris we see from Ronaldo now. His arrogance has devoured himself and now we have a guy who is making a laughing stock of himself despite being past it. The thing people praised him for has now led to his downfall.

It makes it even more impressive if someone is easily the best and know it deep down, but still respect the ability and achievements of their rivals, even if they know they're not as good. As you are mentioning Ronaldo, look at Messi. How easy would it be for Messi to come out and say he's miles better than CR, and a lot of the world would actually agree. But he doesn't, he often says Ronaldo is on his level (not true but still). That's being classy.

Alik

Nice post @Loki.

But overall, it's been a good Olympics and the one I have watched the most in many years. It's inspired me to try to get fitter and clean up my diet, as well as to maintain my interest in sports such as swimming, athletics, handball, volleyball and climbing. And I assume it will also inspire a new generation just getting into these sports, who will be the Olympians of the future - that's what it is all about, inspiring regular people.
Nice summary and fully agreed.

These were also the Olympic games that I have followed the most closely, and I enjoyed it more than I expected.

Got to learn more about various sports, see impressive performances, and new Olympic records to boot.

Definitely inspirational.

Alik

I personally wouldn't look twice at any of these lot if I saw them in the street as any interaction would only be based on me WORSHIPPING them and I ain't about that life.
Must have missed the part of Simone Biles being arrogant. She seemed humble to me when losing to the Brazilian.

Agreed regarding Noah Lyles.

Maradona37

Nice post @Loki.

Nice summary and fully agreed.

These were also the Olympic games that I have followed the most closely, and I enjoyed it more than I expected.

Got to learn more about various sports, see impressive performances, and new Olympic records to boot.

Definitely inspirational.
Yeah for sure mate, I really enjoyed it. It actually makes me question why I didn't follow them that closely in the past? I think the last one I watched this religiously was probably Atlanta 1996.

It is weird because I do like plenty of the sports, but I have always seen myself as a 'football only' guy and when I watch other sports, I am thinking to myself 'this is fun but it isn't football so what's the point?'

I am changing that attitude now. Football will remain by a mile my number one sport, but I can definitely enjoy lots of other sports too. And following other sports will also give a different perspective that makes me watch and play football with better quality too in a way, because other sports have certain skills that you can pick up on when watching or playing that transfer to football.

But overall, the Games have been inspirational and I hope the kids watching enjoy it and will be the stars of the future. The cloud as always is the suspicion so many are doping, but it's the same in every sport and we just have to suppress that cynicism.

Maradona37

Must have missed the part of Simone Biles being arrogant. She seemed humble to me when losing to the Brazilian.

Agreed regarding Noah Lyles.
Don's probably referring to her GOAT necklace. To be fair I haven't followed the gymnastics but I got the feeling she was wearing it for a laugh and to take the piss rather than being serious about it. But could be totally wrong.

Home of Barca Fans