Thiago Silva

Leo_Messi

Still the best (of all time). :worthy:

If there's one regret I'm always going to have as a Barca fan, then it's never having seen him play for us.

You have to be kidding me? A former teammate of his (Nesta) was a superior player. I could mention 6-7 Italian central defenders alone on top of my head who were better defenders than him too. Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Gentile, Baresi, Scirea and Vierchowod for instance.

Great player no doubt but the best ever? Must be a joke. He is not even the best central defender currently, IMO. Yet to win a Copa América, World Cup or CL too. His trophy cabinet is not very impressive to say the least either. He is after all approaching his 31st birthday so hardly a talent anymore.

Jair Ventura

You have to be kidding me? A former teammate of his (Nesta) was a superior player. I could mention 6-7 Italian central defenders alone on top of my head who were better defenders than him too. Nesta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Gentile, Baresi, Scirea and Vierchowod for instance.

Great player no doubt but the best ever? Must be a joke. He is not even the best central defender currently, IMO. Yet to win a Copa América, World Cup or CL too. His trophy cabinet is not very impressive to say the least either. He is after all approaching his 31st birthday so hardly a talent anymore.

I'm confused.

CuleLife4Life

I'll always wish we splashed out the cash for him.

Been playing amazing since the start of the new year. I think injuries and confidence problems were what had him down in the first half of the season. If he keeps his health in tact, he can easily be playing top level for another 3 seasons.

Last edited:

DrPepper

Why do you think was Nesta a superior player? Or any of those you named. Obviously it's your opinion and they were indeed great players but TS remains underappreciated for me. In terms of pure defending he's easily the best of his generation, but then he is even impressive in physical aspects of his game (speed, strength, jumping). And the most important part is his extreme intelligence and how he is a major factor for his team's build up play. Always in the right positions, amazing anticipation and is actually good with the ball on his feet and can play football. The only really complete defender.

And who do you think is better than him atm? Silva has easily been the best and most consistent CB since ~2010. 5 years being the best isn't so easy. Whether he has won many trophies is largely irrelevant as well. It's a team game and more often depending on luck. He's not even an attacking player who could potentially lead a team to glory alone. Even the greatest player of all time (which is Messi) has never won a World Cup. Not even sure if he has won the Copa America.

XaviMessiGirl

Why do you think was Nesta a superior player? Or any of those you named. Obviously it's your opinion and they were indeed great players but TS remains underappreciated for me. In terms of pure defending he's easily the best of his generation, but then he is even impressive in physical aspects of his game (speed, strength, jumping). And the most important part is his extreme intelligence and how he is a major factor for his team's build up play. Always in the right positions, amazing anticipation and is actually good with the ball on his feet and can play football. The only really complete defender.

And who do you think is better than him atm? Silva has easily been the best and most consistent CB since ~2010. 5 years being the best isn't so easy. Whether he has won many trophies is largely irrelevant as well. It's a team game and more often depending on luck. He's not even an attacking player who could potentially lead a team to glory alone. Even the greatest player of all time (which is Messi) has never won a World Cup. Not even sure if he has won the Copa America.

I agree he's a fantastic player and one of the best defenders around today, but I still wouldn't put him on the same level as at least most of those players he mentioned. Defending used to be an art form and no doubt TS would have thrived back in those days as well... but say he was in the same Milan team as Baresi, or same Juve team as Scirea, I don't think he would have outshone them.

Home of Barca Fans