Thiago Silva

Paganinisrvnge

If there is a chance of getting Silva, the club should not hesitate. Even if it's a pretty high transfer fee. He was phenomenal vs us in the Champions League. If we had him vs Bayern then things would have been much less complicated.

The way I see it...there are a few options.

Option 1: Spend a huge chunk of the transfer budget on a world class and proven CB like Silva, Hummels, or Kompany and then maybe make some other less expensive signings and rely on the current players and youth to improve the attack.

Option 2: Waste a huge chunk of the transfer budget on Neymar and be really cheap with a new CB or don't sign one at all. :lol:

Option 3: Sell Alexis and/or Villa and bring in both a world class CB and a new forward(maybe Neymar but preferably Falcao/Lewa/Aguero)

SoMa

With the transfer of someone like Silva, your have to take the view, similar to the one Ferguson took with the signing of Van Persie, who like Silva is of a similar age and has had injury problems in the past. But what your getting is one of the best players in the world in his position and would he improve the team - yes! I think if it's deal that can be done, you get it done. It's should have been last year really :banghead:.

Wouldn't mind Marquinhos as well though ;).

yes but rvp was 25 million?

if silva was going for that price it would be a no brainer.

D

Don_Andrés

David Villa was 28, when he was signed for a cost of €40m. It's all dependent on how great the need is for a particular player in a particular position. And our need for a CB (maybe even two) is great!

David Villa was 28, when he was signed for a cost of €40m. It's all dependent on how great the need is for a particular player in a particular position. And our need for a CB (maybe even two) is great!

Yup. The more I think about it, the more I think that Silva could be an amazing signing, even if he is 28 and costs around 40m.
I do think we should get a wonderkid to be an eventual replacement if we get Silva though, since he's not getting any younger. However, I also think that that can wait until the 2013-14 season, especially if getting a wonderkid CB means we can't get our other targets (GK, a striker if Villa leaves, maybe even Neymar).

oz187

Rosell has been pretty good about not overpaying for players. I could see them negotiating Silvas price down closer to 30M than 40M. There might also not be much competition for his signature unless maybe if RM make a bid.

D

Don_Andrés

If I could add something to the Thiago Silva (or that of any other established CB) debate. If we could get 4-5 years out of a new centre back, like we've got out of Puyol in the past 4-5 years, I think we'd all settle for that.

Juan Shoe

Everybody and even the board must concede we need a top class centre half. Problem is there aren't many around. Silva is the best in the buisness but that comes at a price. His age and injury problems (Nowhere near as bad as made out) are issues. But he is as close to a sure fired thing as there is in football transfers. The level below that are younger guys that have clearly shown they have the potential to be world class like Kompany and Hummels. They cost around the same due to their clear talents and with good coaching should become world class. The next level are young guys that could become world class like Nkoulou and Papadopolous. They have clear talent and with hard work and good defensive coaching could make it to the very top. They are cheaper but can buckle under the pressure of coming to such a big club. The biggest thing that we need is somebody to boss the defence in Puyol's absence. That probably rules out the likes of Nkoulou. Silva is the perfect match it just comes down to how much we are and should be prepared to spend.

Ronnie10

With the transfer of someone like Silva, your have to take the view, similar to the one Ferguson took with the signing of Van Persie, who like Silva is of a similar age and has had injury problems in the past. But what your getting is one of the best players in the world in his position and would he improve the team - yes! I think if it's deal that can be done, you get it done. It's should have been last year really :banghead:.

Wouldn't mind Marquinhos as well though ;).

Robin van Persie didn't cost much. If we pay like €20-25m for Silva then it's fine with everyone. But it's unlikely, we are gonna end up paying €40m for him.

khaled_a_d

Rosell has been pretty good about not overpaying for players. I could see them negotiating Silvas price down closer to 30M than 40M. There might also not be much competition for his signature unless maybe if RM make a bid.

So you think that Man City who is already interested in new CB ,or Bayern Munich whose new coach is huge Silva fan won't try to sign him if he is available in the market?

I am sorry that I look pessimistic ,but I actually look at the rumors about our interest in Silva in a bad way,I understand ppl look at it as Zubi is interested in the best CB in the world ,but I see it as Zubi isn't able to find a quality CB so he is trying to get the sure thing (that any 10 years old knows he would fit) even if there is very little realistic chance to get him .that could just waste a lot of our time in the transfer market
But I really hope I am wroung

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

It's true Zubi & Rosell have done a great job at not overpaying for players but at the same time they miscalculated in negotiations with both Javi & Thiago last summer...Coming back in for Silva is more than an admission of error but an attempt at making up for that error nevermind relying on Song - will it require overpaying?

D

Don_Andrés

Van Persie has cost Man Utd €28.5m with bonuses. I'll say it again Villa was €40m. Both of those players were 28/29 when they were signed. If the club are wanting to sign a world class CB or two, be it Silva, Hummels or Kompany it's gonna cost big money. I'm beginning to think people on the forum are aggrieved, that were are going to have pay that sum of money for a CB, strikers ok, spend all the money you like on them!.

Paganinisrvnge

When Villa signed, we won the league and CL double. If he hadn't broken his leg then we would've had a good chance at winning the double again in Pep's last season. IMO, it was worth the money even if Villa could be on his way out this summer. Champions Leagues are very hard to come by. We've just been fortunate to have such an awesome team the past few years.

DucdeOrléans

He is the best fit looking at the profile of the defender the team needs. Always was. But I do not want him. Firstly he is soon to be 29 years old. Secondly he will be every expensive. Thirdly he has an unfortunate habit of struggling with injuries. Not what we need.

Moreover he lives on his pace/physique. So I predict that he only has 2-3 years on his current level. 40 million is too much for a defender.

Then I would rather buy someone else.

Personally I have a good eye for Porto's Mangala. Unfortunately Porto are not going to sell him for free to put it lightly.

I really like Hummels but I am afraid that he is too similar to Piqué and moreover he lacks a little bit of pace. But he is a general and that kind of player Piqué would thrive under. Likewise Thiago Silva for that matter.

A shame that there is such a big lack of good central defenders nowadays.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Van Persie has cost Man Utd €28.5m with bonuses. I'll say it again Villa was €40m. Both of those players were 28/29 when they were signed. If the club are wanting to sign a world class CB or two, be it Silva, Hummels or Kompany it's gonna cost big money. I'm beginning to think people on the forum are aggrieved, that were are going to have pay that sum of money for a CB, strikers ok, spend all the money you like on them!.

RVP was bought in the last year of his contract and United overpaid, which they had to really...Villa had 3 years left on his contract and was probably the premier striker that was available...Defenders who are often injured and 29 shouldn't be going for 40 million, especially ones that rebuffed the club already...He's a leader and immense when healthy but I would've loved Silva last season...The team should be building for the future, not renting a part time player who we have enough of in defense...I'd much rather a Brasilian investment was made for an up & comer like Marquinhos than Silva who may or may not have years ahead of him still

It's a tough call since Silva is a guaranteed success in all likelihood but will come with a stiff pricetag and questions about longevity...Let's face it, Barcelona balked at the asking price last summer so I don't think they will be able to lure him away without paying even more for him

Home of Barca Fans