Thiago Translantara

karthik

Excellent game by Thiago. Dint disappoint. Could have been a better night for him, had he played with better team mates upfront

Ursegor

World Champion
Excellent game by Thiago. Dint disappoint. Could have been a better night for him, had he played with better team mates upfront

I thought more than the players upfront it were the players behind and alongside him in midfield which disappointed. Pinto made more passes than Rafinha (23 successful passes, 77 % passing accuracy, seriously?!) for example. I said it once I'll say it again: Rafinha is not a Barcelona playmaker. He plays more like a forward than a midfielder, running with the ball at his feet instead of dictating things. With Puyol and Adriano at centreback and Song in DM the team also struggled to play the ball out of the back. Which was the major issue. Kept playing sideways passes from Pinto to Planas to Puyol to Montoya to Song back to Pinto to Planas to Adriano to Montoya back to Pinto ...

karthik

One thing is for sure he is better than Rafinha, who was always touted as the better one!

I think, its not good to compare them both considering they both play different roles and have different style and Im very happy to see the Alcantara brothers at the club.

karthik

I thought more than the players upfront it were the players behind and alongside him in midfield which disappointed. Pinto made more passes than Rafinha (23 successful passes, 77 % passing accuracy, seriously?!) for example. I said it once I'll say it again: Rafinha is not a Barcelona playmaker. He plays more like a forward than a midfielder, running with the ball at his feet instead of dictating things. With Puyol and Adriano at centreback and Song in DM the team also struggled to play the ball out of the back. Which was the major issue. Kept playing sideways passes from Pinto to Planas to Puyol to Montoya to Song back to Pinto to Planas to Adriano to Montoya back to Pinto ...

Excellent analysis there mate. Yes, with Thiago being asked to control the midfield, I now realise he wasnt given the necessary platform at the back either.

CatalinR10

media

I Wonder

After the renewal of his contract, which was signed on Wednesday afternoon, Thiago showed himself to be very happy both on Barça TV and www.fcbarcelona.cat : “It’s a dream to continue with this team and this club. I am really happy. Now It’s time to share it with my family”. He added: “I never thought about leaving. I’ve always wanted to be here”.

Thiago should be the next captain of Barcelona

Stric

Will someone please explain to me this forum's obsession with Thiago? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, especially considering his age, and he has moments where he truly shines... but some of the stuff I've read around here is just ridiculous. Thiago > Cesc etc. He might have been a better fit for Xavi's role as CM at some point, but he's nowhere near Cesc's level as a footballer. Yes, he's good, he has incredible potential and if he keeps it up, he'll probably be one of Barca's central figures in the future, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It seems to me that around here he's just so incredibly overhyped it's kind of sad, really.

oggmar

Will someone please explain to me this forum's obsession with Thiago? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, especially considering his age, and he has moments where he truly shines... but some of the stuff I've read around here is just ridiculous. Thiago > Cesc etc. He might have been a better fit for Xavi's role as CM at some point, but he's nowhere near Cesc's level as a footballer. Yes, he's good, he has incredible potential and if he keeps it up, he'll probably be one of Barca's central figures in the future, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It seems to me that around here he's just so incredibly overhyped it's kind of sad, really.
I believe its because of several reasons really, first off hes great with the ball and a real entrrtainer, second hes very talented and also very young, and finally I was one of the guys saying the purchase of Cesc wasnt needed and that we rather needed a defender. Now Cesc has "won my heart" and so has Thiago and I hope Thiago will be the great player he can be, on top of all this he seems like a great guy.

Last edited:

Stric

Well put. Thanks. And just to clear out any misunderstanding, I absolutely love Thiago! He's fantastic. But it kinda sucks to see everybody making him out to be something he's not.. yet! Let him grow. And yes, a defender has been needed for several seasons already, and we still haven't bought one, so I can understand why someone might be unhappy about the purchase of Cesc over a defender at the time, especially with Thiago around, but it turned out well and is showing great results. It was a smart move and with good timing. The club knew exactly what they were doing.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think it's because he's like the current posterchild La Masia graduate and he's touted as the next great homegrown midfielder. While there have been many successful and amazing homegrown defenders and attackers from La Masia, midfielders are where the most success stories lie. With heart-capturing players such as Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Cesc, it's natural that fans would love Thiago as well. The reason they are overly-obsessed with him is because of the excitement created by the possibility of him being the "next Xavi". It's also why Samper is also hugely adored by all Cules as well.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
Should have scored, but did good when he came on, had far better impact in 11 minutes than Alexis in 80.

Home of Barca Fans