Thiago Translantara

Y

Youngie

I feel like a lot of the football world underestimates Thiago for whatever reason. Am I seeing something that non on else can see? I think the kid is a stud and even when he played with the likes of Javi Martinez and Juan Mata on La Rojita, he was still the best player on the pitch.

I truly believe we'll be talking about him one day being one of the best midfielders in the game, if not the best.

Times moving on. Thiago is nearly 22

Y

Youngie

This is just nonsense, at the highest level every small detail matters. A good control can be the difference between a goal and a missed chance. I don't know if you ever played football yourself, but I know that once you're playing at a decent level, this is basically said every training...

Goals win you games not little showboat tricks. Tiki-taka is awesome when done right though.

Kerrybai

Thiago has the potential to be world class, I think he is a much different midfielder to Cesc but I think they can play alongside one and other. It would be very hard to pick one or the other if you could only have one starting, say in a CL final.

Y

Youngie

Thiago has the potential to be world class, I think he is a much different midfielder to Cesc but I think they can play alongside one and other. It would be very hard to pick one or the other if you could only have one starting, say in a CL final.

Easy pick for me :D

Wouterinho

And I'm not talking about tiki-taka. I'm talking about goals & goal scorers.
I'm sorry but I really just think you don't get it. Goals don't just happen, they're created as well. To create the chances, you often need the technically gifted players, like Thiago. So, especially as a midfielder, ball control and technique are some of the most important qualities.

Stric

The sad thing about Thiago is that, however good he is, he would've been a far better player by now had he been given more playing time during the last few years. I'm not blaming the club or anything, they did what was probably best in each particular moment, and besides, it's Xavi and Iniesta (and now Cesc) that are his competition. Comments are unnecessary. But for Thiago as an individual, he would have benefited highly of being a starter for the past few years. He's not 18 anymore. Being 4th in the pecking order in Barca is not helping his individual development very much. I don't want him leaving or anything, I'm just saying.

Y

Youngie

I'm sorry but I really just think you don't get it. Goals don't just happen, they're created as well. To create the chances, you often need the technically gifted players, like Thiago. So, especially as a midfielder, ball control and technique are some of the most important qualities.

Incorrect. What "technically gifted players" were on the same Bayern team making goals for Gerd Müller (the ultimate poacher) for example?

And there 's "ball control and technique" and total indulgence as seen by Thiago for example. That doesn't win you games.

The sad thing about Thiago is that, however good he is, he would've been a far better player by now had he been given more playing time during the last few years.

Stric: Thiago got 40+ games last season and 26 so far this season.

Irish_Cules

It's going to be interesting once Xavi retires to see the hierarchy between Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago in the midfield. Presuming Iniesta maintains a good level of form when that happens, he will automatically take one of those spots so Cesc and Thiago will be in direct competition for the other position. I think Cesc will initially be given the spot but if Thiago continues to progress there is no guarantee that this will remain the case. Of course, between the three of them they will all get plenty of games in rotation but as Kerrybai said, who will start in the Champions League final or the Classicos when they are all fit?

Iniesta was slowly integrated into the first team over a number of seasons and by the time Xavi retires, Thiago will be roughly be the same age as when Iniesta was when he became an automatic first choice in the midfield. Will we see a situation where Thiago becomes frustrated not starting in the really big games and seeks another club where he will be more appreciated? Will we see a situation where he surpasses Cesc and Cesc leaves Barca once again? Or will the two of them both occupy the midfield and Iniesta is moved to the left or some other attacking midfield role?

It seems to me that unless our future strongest starting 11 is able to contain all three players, one of Cesc or Thiago will likely move to another big club to become a star player there in a few years. I think this will more likely be the case with Cesc if Thiago surpasses him as he is older than Thiago and probably feels more entitled to a first team spot . If Cesc was the player starting ahead of Thiago, Thiago would probably be more likely to stay and fight for his place but that may just be wishful thinking on my part. This is obviously a good problem and not a bad problem but it could be a problem none the less.

Wouterinho

Incorrect. What "technically gifted players" were on the same Bayern team making goals for Gerd Müller (the ultimate poacher) for example?

And there 's "ball control and technique" and total indulgence as seen by Thiago for example. That doesn't win you games.
I'm sorry, I guess we just watch football from a different perspective.
Just one last try:
- Thiago really has the ball control and technique, he has shown this in moments of genius and just in a lot of games in general, but I know he also has his 'less smart' moments.
- You're focussing too much on Müller. Some examples: Messi wouldn't be called the best ever without his amazing technique, Iniesta wouldn't be a worldbeater without his technique,... they both score and create goals (partially) because of their technique.

In my opinion, just saying: "Goals win you games" is just a cliché and indicates that your tactical understanding isn't that great. (Not meant offensive in any way!)

Y

Youngie

Three fourths, if not for or Messi's goals wouldn't have been possible without both his and his teammates' technique and ball control.

Messi & co are one example. This Barça team is incredibly gifted technically. But what wins you games are goals. And you don't need to be great technically to score goals. Hope you get it.

Home of Barca Fans