Thiago Translantara

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Maybe hed just be happy being in the squad and being taken to Brazil to be part of it, something hes never getting sitting on the bench all season, again you cant predict what will happen this time next year, for all you know Spain could be without 2 or 3 key midfield players due to injury this time next year, Thiago then becomes a far likelier selection if hes been playing regularly rather than sitting it out on the bench.

At the end of the day a player only gets 1 career, world cups come around every 4 years, world cups in the homeland of key figures in your life may never come around again, its not absurd hes wanting to give himself the best possible chance to make the squad, hes not even making the squads as things stand and unless things change he wont.

Yeah thats true. He most likely just want to be there, but one thing;

Even though its highly unlikely, BUT if someone like Sergi Roberto suddenly performs very well next season for us then I think he will be preferred over Thiago just because he plays in Barcelona who is playing almost the same setup and style as the Spain NT.

But then again I personally dont think Sergi Roberto is good enough, but who knows what will happen..........

Even if he stays he will still most likely not get called up. However Del Bosque has a La Liga bias so the PL players hardly get time. The midfield is packed in the Spain team so even if Thiago is like one of the best players at United and in the league in general he still may not get called up. Cesc has a better chance because once Thiago leaves it's only him get to choose to sub in for INiesta or Xavi. Either way he won't get called up.

You cant say he wont get called up mate, a year is a long time in football, Xavi could get a serious injury a week before the tournament, Iniesta could be injured to, you dont know, fact remains that dosnt make a jot of difference if Thiago isnt playing anyway, at least if he is playing he gives himself that chance, something you rightly say as of now he isnt, if the WC squad ws being picked tomorrow hes be nowhere near it.

Loads of players from England get called up for spain, Mata, Cazorla, Torres, Fabregas when he was at Arsenal, Alonso when he was at Liverpool, Arbeloa when he was at liverpool, Reina gets called up every time, De gea will be spains long term number 1 regardless of where he plays club football, theres plenty, no reason why Thiago would be any different to them if he was playing well enough, i dont see it as Del Bosque having La liga bias, just the majority of his best players ply their trade in spain, thats just how it is, plenty of players from outside la liga get called up though, Martinez is another one even though hes in Germany now.

I get the anger towards him if he goes i really do, no one wants to lose good players, but i think this notion of he wont get to the WC anyway comes across as a little bit of anger at losing him rather than sound logical thinking.

mixer

As we're on SRoberto's topic, I know here's a lot of people who regularly watch Barca B and all the sections, I would want to ask how is he doing now?

I enjoyed him playing 2 years ago, he seemed like an option for the future.

Gaudi

Maybe hed just be happy being in the squad and being taken to Brazil to be part of it, something hes never getting sitting on the bench all season, again you cant predict what will happen this time next year, for all you know Spain could be without 2 or 3 key midfield players due to injury this time next year, Thiago then becomes a far likelier selection if hes been playing regularly rather than sitting it out on the bench.

At the end of the day a player only gets 1 career, world cups come around every 4 years, world cups in the homeland of key figures in your life may never come around again, its not absurd hes wanting to give himself the best possible chance to make the squad, hes not even making the squads as things stand and unless things change he wont.

Agree, but then he should have chosen Brasil.
Everybody can get injured but then he would be in the squad no matter where he plays. If Xavi get injured he would have gotten more time in Barca as well.

Yeah thats true. He most likely just want to be there, but one thing;

Even though its highly unlikely, BUT if someone like Sergi Roberto suddenly performs very well next season for us then I think he will be preferred over Thiago just because he plays in Barcelona who is playing almost the same setup and style as the Spain NT.

But then again I personally dont think Sergi Roberto is good enough, but who knows what will happen..........

Thats what i think mate yes, i think he knows barring injury spains first choice midfield is off limits for now, much like Barcelonas midfield really, but he knows he could make the squad if hes given the chance to show his abilities often enough on the big stage, and once you make the squad anything can happen with injurys or illness to other players etc, he just wants to be in that position where he can be part of it i think, i dont think he can do that at Barca or at least thats what he and his family think.

Really? you think Del Bosque would choose a clearly inferior player just because he was spanish based? maybe he would you know a lot more about the national set up than me but surely thats a ridiculous thing to do?

Last edited:
F

Flavia

You cant say he wont get called up mate, a year is a long time in football, Xavi could get a serious injury a week before the tournament, Iniesta could be injured to, you dont know, fact remains that dosnt make a jot of difference if Thiago isnt playing anyway, at least if he is playing he gives himself that chance, something you rightly say as of now he isnt, if the WC squad ws being picked tomorrow hes be nowhere near it.

Loads of players from England get called up for spain, Mata, Cazorla, Torres, Fabregas when he was at Arsenal, Alonso when he was at Liverpool, Arbeloa when he was at liverpool, Reina gets called up every time, De gea will be spains long term number 1 regardless of where he plays club football, theres plenty, no reason why Thiago would be any different to them if he was playing well enough, i dont see it as Del Bosque having La liga bias, just the majority of his best players ply their trade in spain, thats just how it is, plenty of players from outside la liga get called up though, Martinez is another one even though hes in Germany now.

I get the anger towards him if he goes i really do, no one wants to lose good players, but i think this notion of he wont get to the WC anyway comes across as a little bit of anger at losing him rather than sound logical thinking.
Bar any injuries, VdB isn't likely to change his stablished squad. Thiago, Isco, De Gea and others will have to wait for the new coach, when VdB leaves after the wc. Also, some players could possibly retire from the nt, like Xavi, Puyol, Casillas.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thats what i think mate yes, i think hes knows barring injury spains first choice midfield is off limits for now, much like Barcelonas midfield really, but he knows he could make the squad if hes given the chance to show his abilities often enough on the big stage, and once you make the squad anything can happen with injurys or illness to other players etc, he just wants to be in that position where he can be part of it i think, i dont think he can do that at Barca or at least thats what he and his family think.

Really? you think Del Bosque would choose a clearly inferior player just because he was spanish based? maybe he would you know a lot more about the national set up than me but surely thats a ridiculous thing to do?

If Sergi Roberto has a very good season and Thiago does very well too then you cant rule it out :lol: A lot will depend on what style of play Moyes implement....

Most likely none of them will make it no matter how well they play barring any injuries though

Agree, but then he should have chosen Brasil.
Everybody can get injured but then he would be in the squad no matter where he plays. If Xavi get injured he would have gotten more time in Barca as well.

Possibly, but not if Xavi only gets injured towards the end of the year having played the majority of the season.

On the Brazil point why didnt he choose them? if be a guaranteed starter for Brazil even now id wager, do you think he regrets making Spain his choice given the competition?

spark

The sound logical point of view is that he wont go based on how del Bosque operates for the last 4 years. Its nothing to do with him leaving because its been thought long before any of this came up.

Bar any injuries, VdB isn't likely to change his stablished squad. Thiago, Isco, De Gea and others will have to wait for the new coach, when VdB leaves after the wc. Also, some players could possibly retire from the nt, like Xavi, Puyol, Casillas.

Yeah probably true, but injurys are a fact of life its part of the game, we saw last season Xavi was struggling physically toward the end of the year, all it takes is a nasty collision or a pulled muscle and an opportunity presents itself, its all about being in a position to be able to take advantage of that opportunity.

Considering Spains dominance and priority of a strong midfield even at the expense of a recognised striker at times i just dont think Thiago can be ruled out if the national side lost 1 or 2 key members and Thiago had a brilliant season for whatever club hes at, thats just my opinion.

What about the idea of wanting to introduce him to the set up at a major tournament if one felt Xavi may be calling it a day after? would that experience of taking him and integrating him in the set up be beneficial for spain long term? just another angle on it.

If Sergi Roberto has a very good season and Thiago does very well too then you cant rule it out :lol: A lot will depend on what style of play Moyes implement....

Most likely none of them will make it no matter how well they play barring any injuries though

Moyes will have us playing a style that resembles 1970s Brazil, a bit of the dutch total football thrown in which then begins morphing into modern day Barcelona within 3 weeks.

Trust me :)

The sound logical point of view is that he wont go based on how del Bosque operates for the last 4 years. Its nothing to do with him leaving because its been thought long before any of this came up.

So if spain are down 1,2 maybe 3 players regardless of his performances Del Bosque will just ignore Thiago anyway? is that what your saying? sounds an odd way for a coach to well coach but there you go.

Im not saying he'll go to the WC if he joins x y or z, im saying it surely gives him a better chance making the squad if hes playing regular and playing well.compared to playing sporadically and not at all.

Stric

Thiago will not play at the World Cup. I'd bet anything on it. And I'd also be willing to bet that moving to ManUtd doesn't improve his chances, either.

Gaudi

Possibly, but not if Xavi only gets injured towards the end of the year having played the majority of the season.

On the Brazil point why didnt he choose them? if be a guaranteed starter for Brazil even now id wager, do you think he regrets making Spain his choice given the competition?

Well that is why I think WC is not the main reason, it's excuse.

oz187

A lot of the Spanish players in the PL broke into the Spain squad while they were in Spain; Mata and Silva at Valencia, Torres at Atletico, Cazorla at Villarreal. Arteta never got a look in, Cesc at Spain struggled to get minutes to the outrage of Arsenal and PL fans. Del Bosque has got a La Liga bias, and it makes sense because it's more likely you'll successfully convert from playing for a Spanish league side to the Spain NT due to the greater similarity in playing styles.

Also there is an underestimation of how much Thiago played. He missed around 3 months of the season because of injuries. While he was available he played 55% of the Liga minutes. If he has a fairly injury free season he could play 3000+ minutes overall which would be enough to showcase his talents. He might also get more opportunity to showcase his abilities in the Champions League this season(last season he missed group stage games because of injury). It's just a question of whether he improves, if when he does play he starts offering a level comparable with Xavi and Iniesta then there is more of a chance of a call up.

Home of Barca Fans