Thiago Translantara

Meitux

I can see that happening as well. Though I'll go with what I said about 16m going out of this summer's budget for Neymar :p

Either way, I doubt we'd be being linked with Marquinhos and Silva if we didn't have 30m left. I even remember seeing a rumor that we put in a 32m bid for Marquinhos.
Yes and i told you earlier tha its been turned down they want more

JamDav1982

I can see that happening as well. Though I'll go with what I said about 16m going out of this summer's budget for Neymar :p

Either way, I doubt we'd be being linked with Marquinhos and Silva if we didn't have 30m+ left. I even remember seeing a rumor that we put in a 32m bid for Marquinhos.

If the budget of 50m is to remain going forward and not be used to pay for Neymar then there will be sales.

Sign Marquinhos for 32m this summer and that is 100m commited to being spent by Barcelona this summer. You cant just say 'ah we dont need to sell now, we will worry about that in the future'.

Players will need to be sold to raise funds and stop massive transfer fees building up in future years assuming the transfer budget remains what the club have said it will.

L

Learo

There are very very few players that I think are ACTUALLY worth 40m+, but that's today's market for you. I still think he would be a fantastic signing though.

I disagree. I think we could get Doria who is just as good for around 8m euros. Sure, he hasnt played a season in Serie A yet, but that doesnt mean that much. Caceres had a season in La Liga before joining us and failed miserably, while Marcelo who Madrid paid 6m for at the same time or Varane has been a success for them.

I think if we do sell Thiago, I think we could assume around 50m in transfers left, and buying Doria for 8m plus a more experienced CB for around 25-30m would be perfect. I dont think we need a Thiago replacement with Song and Busi never being injured and Cesc and Iniesta playing almost exclusively in midfield in the upcoming season as we have plenty of players up front.

L

Learo

Flogging Thiago also make it somewhat easier for Samper to get playing time. I think he is our biggest prospect and hopefully he shines for the B team next season.

I disagree. I think we could get Doria who is just as good for around 8m euros. Sure, he hasnt played a season in Serie A yet, but that doesnt mean that much. Caceres had a season in La Liga before joining us and failed miserably, while Marcelo who Madrid paid 6m for at the same time or Varane has been a success for them.

I think if we do sell Thiago, I think we could assume around 50m in transfers left, and buying Doria for 8m plus a more experienced CB for around 25-30m would be perfect. I dont think we need a Thiago replacement with Song and Busi never being injured and Cesc and Iniesta playing almost exclusively in midfield in the upcoming season as we have plenty of players up front.

If Thiago leaves we'll only have one player for Xavi's position. Xavi. So we will need to sign someone to replace Thiago if he leaves.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I'm not so sure Samper is a bigger talent than Thiago though... from what I've seen Thiago was much superior at that age

L

Learo

If Thiago leaves we'll only have one player for Xavi's position. Xavi. So we will need to sign someone to replace Thiago if he leaves.

I feel we really need some height and strength in our team. One solution could be to use Busi in Xavi's position. He is the most similar to Xavi we have by a large margin IMO. Busi is ready to dictate play from a more advanced position while Song has impressed me as DM.

Our play is based on quick minds, letting the ball do the work. And Busi is superior to any player in the world in that regard. His anticipation is second to none. He is two steps ahead of everyone and knows when and where to pass the ball, even before he has received it. He also used to be an attacking mid during his years in La Masia before Pep converted him.

The gradual phasing out of Xavi has to happen, playing Busi at CM and Song at DM, players who are basically never injured, tall and in their prime years, we can actually further develop our style and correct some of our weaknesses and at the same time the pain of Xavis absence will be less severe than other options. I certainly dont think Thiago is anywhere near Xavis level and wont ever be.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I'm not so sure Samper is a bigger talent than Thiago though... from what I've seen Thiago was much superior at that age

He doesn't have the flair and trickery that Thiago has - I always saw Thiago as more of an Iniesta type. But imo, Samper is not a lesser talent - just different. I have high hope for the kid.

L

Learo

I strongly disagree. Thiago has far too much complacency in his play and lack the ability to dictate play like Samper can. I was never really impressed by Thiago tbh, and think it would be a disaster if we tried to mould him into a xavi role.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I feel we really need some height and strength in our team. One solution could be to use Busi in Xavi's position. He is the most similar to Xavi we have by a large margin IMO. Busi is ready to dictate play from a more advanced position while Song has impressed me as DM.

Our play is based on quick minds, letting the ball do the work. And Busi is superior to any player in the world in that regard. His anticipation is second to none. He is two steps ahead of everyone and knows when and where to pass the ball, even before he has received it. He also used to be an attacking mid during his years in La Masia before Pep converted him.

The gradual phasing out of Xavi has to happen, playing Busi at CM and Song at DM, players who are basically never injured, tall and in their prime years, we can actually further develop our style and correct some of our weaknesses and at the same time the pain of Xavis absence will be less severe than other options. I certainly dont think Thiago is anywhere near Xavis level and wont ever be.

But tbh, Song defending is just tragic sometimes - like he has concrete in his boots; he also makes stupid fouls and is clumsy. Vision, passing, link up etc is great though.

oz187

Song has done fine, the club had a bunch of clean sheets with him at DM. If Thiago leaves it's not that big a blow in the short term, between Busi, Song, Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc and the cantera the 3 midfield positions can be covered just fine for the next couple of seasons.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I strongly disagree. Thiago has far too much complacency in his play and lack the ability to dictate play like Samper can. I was never really impressed by Thiago tbh, and think it would be a disaster if we tried to mould him into a xavi role.

Samper hasn't been dictating play for the Juvenil A. Thiago on the other hand has shown several times that he can do it.

L

Learo

Samper hasn't been dictating play for the Juvenil A. Thiago on the other hand has shown several times that he can do it.

Thats not true at all. Samper has been the brain in the teams he has played in. Thiago is 22 years old and has not impressed me enough to convince me that he is anywhere near the level of Iniesta and xavi at that age.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Thats not true at all. Samper has been the brain in the teams he has played in. Thiago is 22 years old and has not impressed me enough to convince me that he is anywhere near the level of Iniesta and xavi at that age.

Not in the games I've seen... he doesn't participate enough and he's not very clutch either. He's got great ball control and he's a very good passer but that doesn't really translate into him dominating the game.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Not in the games I've seen... he doesn't participate enough and he's not very clutch either. He's got great ball control and he's a very good passer but that doesn't really translate into him dominating the game.

Both are good players but very different. Current Barca system would put Thiago in a more dominating role on the field but shift the focus and Samper could easily function as the orchestrator. Samper hasn't even played for the B team yet so we'll see whether his instructions change and he becomes a more imposing player, the insane talent is there though.

Home of Barca Fans