Thiago Translantara

Barcafire

I'm so dissapointed by the barca board. How could they let him go? Look at how thin our midfield is now. Do they really think some B player with almost no first team experience is a good replacement? Look at the deep squad bayern has and then compare it to ours...it's a joke really. Xavi can't play 90% of the games - the important ones, yes - but he's an old man soon...what a joke. And next season they're going to spend millions on a central midfielder, I can see it already. Bayern will crush us again next season. Maybe we will have a magnificent first half of the season again but in spring (and we all know that's the most important season in football) we will struggle because of how thin our squad is.

/rant over

I sort of agree with you. It's not thin, but it sort of is.

- Xavi is 33 and his skills are declining.
- Iniesta will be 30 next year, so he'll start his decline soon too.

So in our minds, we only have Cesc growing for the next 4 years with no one else to partner with in midfield once Iniesta and Xavi are retired.

L

Learo

of course it is. Busi and Song both compete for the CDM spot, they're not CM material (especially not Song...). So that leaves Xavi/Iniesta/Cesc for the CM position. So we have three (!) players for a two-player spot. That my friend, is thin.

no they dont, both will play CM this season, and they will excel, mark my words. Both played more attacking roles before joining our first team. Good ol' Xavi used to be a DM as well, but now no one consider him anything else than a CM. Its time for Busquets to be given new responsibilites, in the way Xavi was given.

JamDav1982

I predict Samper will have a stormer of a season and will be considered for the first team by Christmas and no one will even remember Thiago at all. Busquets will slot in at Xavi's position whenever it is demanded and be as cool as ever.

Thats been discussed a fair bit on here and most dont seem to agree but I am with you and think Busquets could take over from Xavi if that was the best thing.

Richard.H

Getting 25M is not that bad. In the short term it's not a problem with Xavi, Cesc and Iniesta and well as Song available to play in midfield. The cantera is always there to bring along more midfielders and if necessary they can use the money in future to buy a replacement. With him, Villa and Abidal all leaving the wage bill will be a bit lighter as well.

As for Bayern, they have a lot of good midfielders young but Robben and Ribery are both key for them. Robben can be inconsistant and selfish, but when it came to the big games; Champions League semis and the final Robben delivered this year. Both these players always pose a threat and cause problems for the opposition. They make Bayern hard to defend against as there is constant threat from both wings. They make the team dynamic. Their decline will be as much of a problem as the decline with Xavi is for us. And because they are wingers where pace is more important, don't expect their decline to take longer.

Yes, the cantera will provide players, but Thiago was part of the "golden generation" of canteranos. You don't get this type of talent often in the cantera. It'll be very hard to match the talent of the cantera we had of the last few years.

Now that we have an extra 25 mill, I won't be surprised if Barca splashes 50 mill to get T.Silva. After all, we are the kings of ridiculous buying policies.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
2uhsin4.jpg

Meitux

Lewandowski is going to Bayern next season, has already been agreed with Dortmund and why would you need a striker more than a CB?
I dont disagree defense is the top priority.But all you guys think that our scoring problems are solved just cause we have Neymar?

JamDav1982

Yes, the cantera will provide players, but Thiago was part of the "golden generation" of canteranos. You don't get this type of talent often in the cantera. It'll be very hard to match the talent of the cantera we had of the last few years.

Well the cantera has produced world class MF every 2/3 years for the last 15 years so its possible more will come along.

loozy

I dont disagree defense is the top priority.But all you guys think that our scoring problems are solved just cause we have Neymar?

Nope, not at all but I see the defense as the bigger and more in immediate need to be fixed problem of the two :)

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
In their first two seasons at Barça:
-Messi: 1414 min
-Thiago: 4689 min

And he complains because he doesn't play.

L

Learo

Now that we have an extra 25 mill, I won't be surprised if Barca splashes 50 mill to get T.Silva. After all, we are the kings of ridiculous buying policies.

I do think and fear we might splash a ridiculous sum on the 29 year old now, maybe close to 60m and sell him cheap in 2-3 years.

But Thiago was not something unique coming from the cantera. We produce those on a regular basis. He's at a level of Arteta, not iniesta, busi and others.

L

Learo

our scoring problems certainly wouldnt be helped with 1 goal per season Thiago though.

Home of Barca Fans