Thiago Translantara

pEllee

Bayern fans are probably happy that Thiago is hurt because that increases the likelihood seeing Javi Martinez in midfield where he belongs.

I get that, but still...seems immoral to be happy when someone gets injured. Especially when he belongs to the team you're supporting.

cro-man

Karma has something to do how you feel so its a matter of opinion. I dont believe in it but for the ones who do and have a grudge against him its mostly karma.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Some people are actually happy that he got injured? :/

Not particularly happy, but some did express the timing is perfect, so that Martinez can get his CDM role back and they have one less midfielder to worry about starting in their already crowded midfield.

And some Bayern fans wished him to get well soon so they can offload him for a decent price. :wave:

One thing is for sure, Thiago has not yet won over the hearts of the minds of the Bayern fandom. There are some who flat out dislike him.

pEllee

Some people are actually happy that he got injured? :/

Mixed reactions of course. I visited a few other forums now and well, they were supportive. But yes, some of them were sort of happy. However, most of them agree that it's a good thing for the team, which is a valid point I guess. Can't say I've followed Bayern that much.

Not particularly happy, but some did express the timing is perfect, so that Martinez can get his CDM role back and they have one less midfielder to worry about starting in their already crowded midfield.

And some Bayern fans wished him to get well soon so they can offload him for a decent price. :wave:

One thing is for sure, Thiago has not yet won over the hearts of the minds of the Bayern fandom. There are some who flat out dislike him.

Seems to be the same with Pep, or am I wrong?

ldb198

I am sure there are some BM fans that don't like him....same as every team. I hear FCB fans diss Pique, Cesc, Alves..you name it....all our players (perhaps except messi that i know of) have people taking crap about him and people tht wish they would leave or get sold-- and they are cules. Thiago is not a special case and is not sooo disliked or anything like some try and make it sound.

Galning

I am sure there are some BM fans that don't like him....same as every team. I hear FCB fans diss Pique, Cesc, Alves..you name it....all our players (perhaps except messi that i know of) have people taking crap about him and people tht wish they would leave or get sold-- and they are cules. Thiago is not a special case and is not sooo disliked or anything like some try and make it sound.

Even Messi. "Omg he doesn't run!"

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Even Messi. "Omg he doesn't run!"

That's a legitimate criticism/concern. Nobody wants a Messi statue, right?

Those who dislike Thiago tend to be the same who really hate Guardiola and anything Barca. They are the ones who believe Guardiola is ruining the almost perfect team under Heynckes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Thiago Alcantara's Injury Could Be a Blessing in Disguise for Guardiola's Bayern

According to The Guardian, Thiago Alcantara is set to miss up to seven weeks of action due to an injury sustained against Nurnberg.

The Spaniard started Bayern Munich's 2-0 home win at the weekend but withdrew after 62 minutes, and scans have revealed he has torn the ligaments in his right ankle.

For almost every other team on the planet, this would be a colossal loss. For Bayern, not only is it a minor blow given their squad depth, but it could also turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Pep Guardiola faced a monumental task this summer, taking the reins at a club that had just completed a historic treble under revered manager Jupp Heynckes.

The 7-0 aggregate destruction of Barcelona, dismantling of Juventus' elite defence, ability to pull out a win at Wembley and numerous tactical advancements made the role akin to a poison chalice—whoever signs on will face scrutiny like none before.

Uli Hoeness chose Pep and secured his signature as early as January 2013 in order to give him enough time to learn German, plan appropriately and figure out a way to take an immortal team to the next level.

He started off on all the right notes, telling The Telegraph, "The players of Barcelona are different to those who play here at Bayern so I have to adapt to the players—100 per cent. The system doesn’t matter."

A resounding sigh of relief swept through Bavaria, as fears of a false-nine, tiki-taka system were instantly dissolved: The last thing diehard Bayern fans wanted was sweeping changes, and doing so could ruin what appeared to be an empire in the making.

But the tinkering did start—as early as preseason—with Arjen Robben up front, Thomas Mueller in a role approaching false-nine, Philipp Lahm in central midfield and Toni Kroos as a lone holding player.

The system he has chosen, regularly (but perhaps inaccurately) dubbed as a 4-1-4-1, is very different to the combative 4-2-3-1 Heynckes favoured.

It's important to note that Pep's record so far in the Bundesliga is perfect: played three, won three, scored six, just the one conceded. They're the reigning European champions, and the pressure is on, but Pep's shoe-horning of attacking talents into his lineup is hindering the progress made.

But as B/R's Clark Whitney argues, there are some quizzical things happening at the Allianz Arena, chief of which is attempting to put too many playmakers on the same pitch in the same strip:

Against Nurnberg, it seemed a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

In Franck Ribery, Mario Gotze and Thiago, Bayern had three playmakers on the pitch at the start of the match. And although the Frenchman played confidently, Gotze and Thiago looked utterly confused at times, wandering in search of any purpose.

It's no coincidence that Bayern began to look much more dangerous following the introduction of Muller for Thiago.

Thiago was a can't-miss signing this summer given his price (€20 million) and potential (world-class), but his presence has disrupted the harmony of the side just a little.

Pep is under pressure to play him, while Gotze's return from injury has doubled the headache: Is it even possible to accommodate so many playmakers in a side so soon?

Bayern achieved an astonishing 81 percent possession against Nurnberg, but it took a Ribery header—yes, header—to break the deadlock in the 69th minute.

You'd never wish any injury on a player, particularly ankle ligament damage, but Thiago's absence might just buy Guardiola a little more time to work out how this side is set to play. He still faces the issue of adding in Gotze, but his conundrum has been halved.

With the immense squad depth, Thiago won't be missed. In fact, it may just help the team settle under their new, different manager.

Jenks

They are trying to one up and come out as more "mature" than the ones who don't like him. They do this by calling everyone butthurt and taking moral high ground.

It is the moral high ground and it is more mature. He's done nothing wrong, and to celebrate his failures is just petty and vindictive.

Meitux

You don't make any sense, even if Thiago is injured why do you think Martinez will get his role back? It doesn't change anything. Schweinsteiger won't be used as attacking midfielder and Pep trusts Kroos Gotze and Muller for this position. Schweinsteiger will always be played as box to box in that lone role..

suckabov

Lemon curry?

+1

I don't really get this discussion at all. Of course Luftstalag is right that there are some fans disliking Thiago and Pep, but this indicates by no means something about the "Bayern fandom" in general. The number of Bayern fans disliking Thiago is not significantly higher than that of Barca fans who dislike Cesc etc. Most Bayern fans I know say something like, "We'll see how he develops". Don't know what the general opinion is in Bayern forums, but that's what I hear repeatedly in real life. The same goes for Pep. The only thing they were sceptical of is how the management will approve of Pep's changes.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It is the moral high ground and it is more mature. He's done nothing wrong, and to celebrate his failures is just petty and vindictive.

It's just the impression I got that they were doing it to one up. I am not celebrating thiagos injury, I think it's wrong.

pepi

Not particularly happy, but some did express the timing is perfect.

Didn't you wished him literally break a leg ? So you must be happy ! Actually am not particularly sad either. A dont care if he stays injured the whole season. He gave me a few very bad weeks. Don't like him anymore.

Home of Barca Fans