Thiago Translantara

Galning

We don't even miss thiago though, so I don't get all the "if only we did this and that" type of comments. It all worked out in the end. if we need a replacement for iniesta we can find another player.

Any player besides Messi is replaceable. We could replace half the squad and still challenge for everything. It doesn't mean mistakes weren't made.

JamDav1982

Jamdav, tell that to Xavi and Puyol.

Xavi was very close to leaving to Bayern and had all but decided to go if not for Pep arriving and saying he was to make him focal point of team. If Pep had not arrived Xavi most likely was gone.

Puyol had all but signed for Betis I think but injury prevented it.

Both came very close to leaving

F

Flavia

Xavi was very close to leaving to Bayern and had all but decided to go if not for Pep arriving and saying he was to make him focal point of team. If Pep had not arrived Xavi most likely was gone.

Puyol had all but signed for Betis I think but injury prevented it.

Both came very close to leaving

And before that, he almost left for Milan too. His mother stopped him, as she threatened to divorce his father, who was favourable to the move. It was very close to being done.

JamDav1982

Or Messi. Messi could leave right now for twice as much as Barca can afford to pay him. Only thing that keeps him at Barca is loyalty and love for the club.

Messi would struggle to find a better club or make a positive career move for money. Different situations.

If Thiago had taken a backwards step in his career for money it would be a whole different situation.

serghei

Almost being the key word. Xavi almost left, Thiago almost stayed. Xavi = absolute legend, Thiago = means nothing for Barca. That's a big almost.

F

Flavia

Almost being the key word. Xavi almost left, Thiago almost stayed. Xavi = absolute legend, Thiago = means nothing for Barca.

Well, according to your definition, they were disloyal. They thought about leaving and details prevented that from happening. So, double standards. Xavi was never adamant about not leaving, and no one can say he doesn't love Barça. But he was thinking about his career. It almost happened not once, but twice. He considered it, and one time his mother stopped him, the other pep did. Thiago didn't have a coach to stop him from doing that, did he?

Yannik

Loyalty is a strange topic, really.

It should be common sense that loyalty is too much to ask for in a player. Only a handful of players are really loyal to their clubs, and most of them are already starters at top clubs so their loyalty has never really been tested anyway. I'd say Totti is loyal, he couldve upgraded from Roma a hundred times but he doesnt even think about it. In general, there are a couple of players in italy that fit the criterias.
If a player is like that, then he is a special snowflake, one of a hundred. Not being loyal therefor doesnt mean being a selfish dick, it just means being normal like 99 others.

serghei

Xavis own words say he was close to agreeing to Bayern and Pep told him not to and would change his role in team.

Puyol got injured when about to sign for Betis.

What complications am I missing out?

Xavi said he knew that the club wanted to sell him because Real had a dominating 2008 (year of the pasillo). He listened to offers because Barca were opened to sell. That makes it different with Thiago's case.

JamDav1982

Xavi said he knew that the club wanted to sell him because Real had a dominating 2008 (year of the pasillo). He listened to offer because Barca were opened to sell. That makes it different with Thiago's case.

What if Thiago felt the club no longer relied on him and were looking to possibly sell him then? Would that change your opinion on matter?

It really is not that complicated.

Puyol agreed to Betis, Xavi agreed to Bayern then agreed to stay with Pep, Thiago agreed to Pep.

None of those decisions were based on loyalty they were based on their footballing situations.

Of course the ideal for Xavi and Puyol was to succeed at Barca, probably more than it was for Thiago but they were prepared to leave FOR FOOTBALLING REASONS.

F

Flavia

Xavi said he knew that the club wanted to sell him because Real had a dominating 2008 (year of the pasillo). He listened to offer because Barca were opened to sell. That makes it different with Thiago's case.

No, it doesn't. Barça was also open to selling Thiago. So much nothing was done to prevent that from happening. And if you haven't, read pep confidential. It says there, with every word, that the club put him up for sale.

serghei

No, it doesn't. Barça was also open to selling Thiago. So much nothing was done to prevent that from happening. And if you haven't, read pep confidential. It says there, with every word, that the club put him up for sale.

I do not belive the bolded part to be true. I believe Thiago forced his way out through that clause because Bayern guaranteed him things Barca couldn't.

Home of Barca Fans