Thierry Henry

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
It's really nothing to do with race Meta. The France 98 team were actually good. This team have been appalling led by a total twat of a manager and a very poor leader on the field. The characters of Zidane and Henry are polar opposites. That's the key difference here. Not skin colour.

I know it's not a race issue.

did you not follow the rest of the post?

mentioning race was to hook the reader's attention in (rather than have them dismiss the post as another putz defending henry) where I then illustrated how france, in the past, have cheated rampantly but been praised nonetheless.

then I exposed the real reason why they were praised: because they never faced anyone british. they screwed teams over but it was always other foreign teams the british isles doesn't like/trust (spain, portugal, italy) so it was okay. bit like south korea (who were heroic, and guus was a genius) in 2002, because their victims were again non-british nations.

lol@polar opposites. you're right, though. I mean henry hasn't been sent off multiple times in his career for acts of savage violence.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Sounded like you were championing both arguments tbh, not trying to be overly clever. Most people I know dislike South Korea and make comments about the refs whenever they're brought up. Certainly not considered heroes. Those teams you list, it has nothign to do with a lack of trust. It goes back to the underdog angle. Those are all big European sides, seeing a big side screw another big side will never get the sympathy of a small nation getting bent over. How are Henry and Zidane alike? Getting sent off for violent acts doesn't make you arrogant, whiney, and temperamental.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
it doesn't.

they're not alike.

that's why I said "you're right" before pointing out that, for all the love he gets, zidane was a mean motherfucker.

I disagree that there was an underdog angle at play with france in 2006. they had a team full of legends and their opponents were of similar reputation. their cheating was overlooked because 1. henry still played for arsenal, 2. they loved zidane and most importantly of all 3. they only screwed over non-brits.

look at portugal, what did they do to england that was so bad? nothing. rooney acted the twat and got himself sent off. then the bbc edit the highlights so it looks like CR is winking directly after rooney's red (which he wasn't) and all of sudden the portuguese are the devil's team. henry leaps over carvalho's leg in the semi-final and a pen is given. no one cares it was a dive, coz it was the dirty portuguese. and then malouda took a tumble vs. the italians but again it was overlooked coz who likes italy right?

I'll give you south korea. there was an underdog element to that (though you can bet had they fucked over england we'd have never heard the end of it) but the french just beat the right teams. until now.

And guess which wonderful, class filled player was responsible for that dive, months after calling diving a feminine act?

yupyupyup!

tbh I did laugh quite heavily despite being angry as fuck that spain got the chuck (and puyol got the blame) coz he basically admitted in his paris rant that he was gonna start diving, and then he did!

a man of his word. :cool:

V

Valon

Deleted the off-topic Man City vs Manchester United battle as it's not the place for that here.

In topic, I didn't see what Henry did but I don't care, the guy is still a legend in my books. Fuck it even Messi scored a hand-goal yet we all wank over him. :p

FiReFTW

It was not rape against football, grow up. Footballers go beyond the rules and act dishonestly all the time, it's up to referees to see it and ensure fairness prevails. What Thierry did was no worse than appealing for a corner he knows is a goal kick or going down when he could stay standing up, the excessive moralising going on is quite unbelievable.

With people like you , no wonder things like this happen alot in football , and people take it lightly.
I think you need to get some things straight buddy , and stop defending someone just because you like them.

Beast

The Observer
absoposotively.

but coz it was a dirty frog who did the deed then it's a disgrace to football!

and you know I don't wanna bring up the race issue but when france were led by zizou (who despite being berber in origin has white skin) they cheated loads and no one seemed to care. they dove and time-wasted their way to the world-cup final itself (vieira's goal in the EF vs. spain came from a FK won by a dive, zizou's pens in the semi and final were from dives) and all you heard was how lovely and courageous they were and how zidane was a magnificent leader despite the fact that he only had one good game in the entire tournament (where he assisted henry to score from a FK that was incorrectly given as a FK).

but then maybe it's not a race issue.

maybe it's the fact that france never dicked over any teams from the british isles until now. portugal, meanwhile, who were perceived to have stolen a win from england (despite the fact that apart from lennon and hargreaves england were gash and stamping on someone's nutsack is always gonna get you sent off) were portrayed as the big villains of the piece in '06, despite their crimes being marginal or non-existent!

Absolute rubbish

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
With people like you , no wonder things like this happen alot in football , and people take it lightly.
I think you need to get some things straight buddy , and stop defending someone just because you like them.

Sorry, who are you? I'm not saying what Henry did was right but the OTT reactions to a simple handball are stupifying. I think you need to put things into perspective rather than demonising a player who reacted instinctively to a ball bouncing on to his arm and making out like he's hit a woman.

Moe