Thomas Muller

JamDav1982

As far big game performance for Mueller this is what I remember:

For Bayern:

- He scored the only goal in the 11/12 CL final against Chelsea, only to be equalized by Drogba later.
- In the 2012 German Super Cup he scored one against BVB.
- He scored one against Juve in the 12/13 CL quarter-finals
- He scored 3 goals and had one assist in the 12/13 CL semi-finals against us

For Germany:

- He scored a brace against England in the round 16 of WC 2010
- He scored the opening goal against Argentina in the quarter-final of WC 2010
- Last year at the WC in Brazil he scored the opening goal of Germany's defeat of Brazil in the semi-final

So we include German Super Cup games and CL QFs and WC last 16 as 'big games'?

Fair enough, I bet plenty of players have records that can compare in that respect.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i do remember that final actually, he scored what should have been the winning goal and played well throughout the game.

about the semis, i agree with you, there are many factors in a loss but usually it's because the other team was better than you.

the main point is that he has performed well in several big matches and deserves the big game player label.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Schweinsteiger is a box to box midfielder, he should have never been compared to Xavi and Iniesta. Different types of players. If anything he should be compared to Busquets, but even that is a bit of stretch.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I cant understand why anyone would take offense from being compared to a feminist.:thinking:

He was obviously referring to a very specific type of feminist, who, by many, are considered a blight upon society ;)

There is nothing wrong with having a moderate feminist attitute ofc.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So we include German Super Cup games and CL QFs and WC last 16 as 'big games'?

Fair enough, I bet plenty of players have records that can compare in that respect.

Well, they are big games to me when important things are at stake (CL and WC quater and semi-finals are routes to the final, right?), feel free to disagree. I only threw in Super Cup because that was for a trophy after all and it was against BVB so I vividly remember.

Leo_Messi

That's actually a good comparison. Ferraris look fancy and are really fast yet also heavily over-priced and are utter shite when it comes to quality control and reliability.

Come on. Are Ferraris "utter shit when it comes to quality control and reliability"?

It's a myth that is propagandized by people who have never owned a Ferrari in their life and who will likely never afford to buy one in the first place.

Anyway Neymar is clearly the more talented player compared to Müller and as much a "big game player" as you can get.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
of course knockout cl and wc games against big clubs/nations are big games, why wouldn't they be?

also let me make it clear i am not arguing he is more of a big game player than neymar, they are both big game players.

JamDav1982

Well, they are big games to me when important things are at stake (CL and WC quater and semi-finals are routes to the final, right?), feel free to disagree. I only threw in Super Cup because that was for a trophy after all and it was against BVB so I vividly remember.

But when its broken down to goals scored to show he had a good game then he has scored in one CL final against a poor Chelsea and not scored in other two and also not scored/assisted in WC final or played well.

While it could be second year in row he fails in 4 CL semi final games.

I agree he has delivered in some big games but this idea he is the definition of a big game player. Not for me.

JamDav1982

of course knockout cl and wc games against big clubs/nations are big games, why wouldn't they be?

also let me make it clear i am not arguing he is more of a big game player than neymar, they are both big game players.

Big games but not the biggest.

Generally it seems to me big game players are remembered for what they have done in the biggest finals or semi finals.

Iniesta for example still has that tag yet for that reason.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Come on. Are Ferraris "utter shit when it comes to quality control and reliability"?

It's a myth that is propagandized by people who have never owned a Ferrari in their life and who will likely never afford to buy one.

It's not a myth. It was the same with Lamborghini until it was bought by Volkswagen. Fiat is also probably really reliable and comes with good quality control compared to a Toyota, right?
You will probably never find imperfect seams on your leather seats in an Audi Q8, but have a good chance of finding exactly that in your Ferrari Modena.

I actually sat in several sport cars btw, as a good friend of mine owns several AMGs, Audi RSs and regularly takes me with him to (officially sanctioned) quarter mile races. ;)

Leo_Messi

It's not a myth. It was the same with Lamborghini until it was bought by Volkswagen. Fiat is also probably really reliable and comes with good quality control compared to a Toyota, right?
You will probably never find imperfect seams on your leather seats in an Audi Q8, but have a good chance of finding exactly that in your Ferrari Modena.

I actually said in several sport cars btw, as a good friend of mine owns several AMGs, Audi RSs and regularly takes me with him to (officially sanctioned) quarter mile races. ;)

I have never heard about Ferrari being known for their "lack of reliability and quality control". The latter is something that Ferrari is famed for throughout the world. Especially the craftsmanship.

Anyway you can't compare sports cars such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti etc. (a niche market in the car industry) with much bigger automobile manufacturers whose production is several times bigger.

In any case I don't buy the notion of Ferrari only being about design and speed while being of low quality otherwise.

Also the vast majority of actual Ferrari owners seem to disagree.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/

Anyway we are totally off-topic.

----

The thing I like about Müller is his winner mentality. He might not be the most technically gifted player out there, the quickest, the biggest goalscorer or the most intelligent player but he has a bit of everything coupled with a winner mentality and hard work. Hence his success. On the other hand many more talented players have failed to even reach their potential due to their poor mentality and lack of hard work.

Iniesta will always be the ultimate big game player in my eyes, he hasnt actually always played well in big games but I'm glossing over that because of 2009 and 2010 and the sheer awesomeness those goals were.

Back on muller I always thought of him as a big game player cause of his WC showings and the 2012 and 2013 champions league but I suppose Neymar has been just as good (WC) and even better (Club level) in terms of stats vs big teams. Neymar has also only been playing in europe for 2 years so he hasnt had the oppoutunity to score a cl final goal. Easy to forget how young he is and that not everyone is Iniesta winning everything possible at the age of 24.

Home of Barca Fans