Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Stric

+1.

Aside from the defense, the players aren't the main problem. I think the only things we really need are a GK, a CB, and a striker (if Villa leaves). Maybe a 2nd CB for depth and/or a winger (Neymar, Reus, etc), but those 2 aren't desperately needed.

Like you and I both said, the players aren't the main problem, even though a few are still needed. We have players like:
Messi - arguably the greatest player ever
Iniesta - best midfielder in the world, 3rd best player
Xavi - one of the best midfielders in the world, despite his age
Busquets - arguably the best CDM in the world
Villa - Spain's all-time top scorer. Still world-class despite his age and that injury last season.
Fabregas (on our bench, no less) - world-class midfielder, despite his poor second half of the season
Alba - arguably the best LB in the world

Not to mention players like Pique and Alves, who, despite their inconsistency, can still put in world-class performances. We've got good players on our bench too, such as Song, Thiago, etc.

The only starters who really need to be replaced (IMO) are Valdes (since he's leaving), Puyol, Villa (if he goes) and maybe Pedro (though Sanchez has been pretty good lately, maybe we could go with him in the starting XI next season?).

IMO, our main 2 problems in big games this season were tactics and motivation. Which is why I think we need a new coach.

I agree. We have the quality in our squad, we just lack the ability to use its full potential.

My view is that we only definitely need to buy a CB, because of obvious reasons. That's the only transfer I think is absolutely necessary. The others, if I was in charge, would be IFs.

If Villa leaves, we buy a striker/winger. Neymar, Aguero, whoever. It would be good if we could buy a left-footed one, but apart from Robben and Bale, I can't think of anyone who's up to the challenge.

If Valdes leaves, we buy a goalkeeper.

I think we need to offload many players, though, not because they need to be replaced, but because there's no place for them around, they're extras. That's most of the loaned ones + JdS, Sanchez and possibly Mascherano.

I'd also contemplate selling Alves, not because he can't be used or anything like that, but for "personal" reasons. I want Montoya to develop and be integrated into the starting 11, and I don't think he'll ever manage that with Alves around. Plus, even if that somehow happened, it would be ridiculous to have Alves on the bench regularly. We could probably make a lot of money from that transfer.

Last edited:

Stric

Tito's condition may have had an impact, so I may be being a tad harsh on him, but I think him resigning would be best for all parties.

Nah, he was just never that good to begin with. His condition might have had a slight impact on the outcome of the season, but even if his relapse never happened, all the flaws we're seeing now would still get exposed sooner or later.

Mr Hulot

I would love us to sign a player like a young Lilian Thuram who can play both Cb and Rb. Does anybody know if there is such a player on the market.? I liked Howedes, but I have only seen him3 or 4 times..

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I would love us to sign a player like a young Lilian Thuram who can play both Cb and Rb. Does anybody know if there is such a player on the market.? I liked Howedes, but I have only seen him3 or 4 times..

Vertonghen can play CB and LB... Sadly that transfer is nothing but a fantasy now :cry:

Stric

Either way, money and transfers are not the solution. Look at Borussia. They're in the final and I can't even imagine how much cheaper their squad is.

USWAY

In all honestly it's the perfect pairing, Ramos would be the perfect replacement for Puyol and would be the leader the back four lack and it's clear Ramos and Pique play great together. With the turmoil that went on in Madrid this season, shame we can't do big interleague transfers between rivals like in Germany .... :pep:

XaviMessiGirl

If reports are to be believed, Inter are now also interested in Bartra, in addition to Alexis & Montoya. There were representatives at the match today & supposedly tomorrow they will meet with Barca to discuss the possibilities.

I agree. We have the quality in our squad, we just lack the ability to use its full potential.

Yup.
Here's our starting XI:

Valdes - not amazing, but nowhere near as bad as people say. I don't think we'll miss him though.

Alves - Very inconsistent, but can still put in world class performances. Needs to be rotated more with Montoya, I think it'll really help.
Pique - Inconsistent but can still put in world class performances, like Alves. We need to get the right partner for him IMO, it should help big time.
Puyol - Great defender for his age, but too old and injury prone. Needs to be replaced, but I think he'll be a great 3rd choice CB next season
Alba - Arguably the best LB in the world

Busquets - Arguably the best CDM in the world
Xavi - One of the greatest midfielders in the world, despite his age. Should be rested more often, but I can see him continuing for a while.
Iniesta - best midfielder in the world, 3rd best player

Pedro - He's been meh this season, but he has had some good performances. I wouldn't mind replacing him with someone like Reus or Neymar, but not buying anyone for this won't kill us.
Messi - GOAT
Villa - Spain's all-time top scorer. Still world-class (IMO), despite his age, that injury last season, and his lack of playing time this season.

Now, for the subs:

Pinto - good 2nd choice GK

Montoya - great young talent. Should be played more often.
Bartra - Good defender considering his lack of experience. Don't think he'll ever start for us, but he can be a great backup.
Mascherano - Decent at CB considering it's not his natural position.
Adriano - very underrated, and a great squad player to have. Not to mention dem long shots :worthy:

Song - Arguably Arsenal's second best player last season. It was a good one for them too. He's also impressed when he's played for us, and is a great backup at CDM.
Thiago - Great young talent, huge potential. I can see him being a starter in quite a few other top clubs (Man U, for example).
Fabregas - World-class midfielder despite his poor 2nd half of the season, and he was perhaps Arsenal's best player, as well as one of the best players in the EPL.

Sanchez - He's been shit for most of the season, but he's been better recently.
Tello - Good young talent

Like both of us said, we definitely have the quality, for the most part. In fact, it can be argued that individual talent carried us to a league title and the CL semis.

And now that I think about it, you're right, a CB is the only player we absolutely need. Well, that would be the case if Valdes weren't leaving, but he is. If we get the right replacement though, I don't think we'll miss him too much. If Villa leaves, we'll need a new striker as well. That's about it, really, as far as the players we NEED.

A second CB for depth and a winger like Reus or Neymar to bench Pedro could be nice if we have the cash left over. However, like I said, those two definitely aren't absolutely necessary.

Anyways, like I've said before, with the right changes, I can see us owning the CL again. And IMO, one of the changes that needs to be made (perhaps the second most important one after the new CB) is the coach.

Last edited:

Muttu

Yeah, unless Tito knows perfectly well how to fix all this and get us back on track this summer, I really hope we're gonna search for alternative options as coach. This must be the absolute main priority, it doesn't matter how good a team we have, if the man in charge don't have fresh ideas and the ability to make this team tic.

It's been so obvious in all of our big games this season that we need freshness and believe in our play.

As Stric pointed out, there's no need to bring 5-6 new players in. We just need a few important signings in key areas and then a coach running the show with ideas and confidence.

Of course our offensive play should be centered around Messi, but we need players beside him who can beat players and score goals aswell. And if we get Neymar, as it looks like right now, and Deulofeu and they both live up to their potential, i'm positive it would bring a whole new dynamic to our attack. Our wingers should be allowed to take on their man and finish, aswell as setting up others. We REALLY lack variety upfront. And most importantly, we need to fix our defense. Our pressing game and our quality of CBs. A leader in the back is greatly missed. I have no idea what happened to our pressing game, it's absolutely essential to our play.

There's a lot of work to do, i'm just worried that Tito and CO is not the man for the job.

mixer

Inter sports director Ausilio attended yesterday's game and planned talks with Barcelona on Montoya, Bartra, Alexis and Handanovic [sky cds]

Hands off Montoya and Bartra, but Alexis+Pedro for Handanović would be a good deal :pedro:

Home of Barca Fans