Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Galning

He's a coward and most of the time plays like he don't care about his team, don't care if we win or lose.

25g5oxw.gif

Andrew M

Pique got no aerial ability and strength. He's a coward and most of the time plays like he don't care about his team, don't care if we win or lose. The best thing, IMO, would be to sell Pique, but sadly that's never going to happen. Bartra>Pique.

Such nonsense

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Such nonsense
What's nonsense about it? Pique was one of the best defenders in the world some years ago, but the last two seasons he has been a shadow of his former self in every match he has played. I surely can't be the only one here with that opinion.

Irish_Cules

What's nonsense about it? Pique was one of the best defenders in the world some years ago, but the last two seasons he has been a shadow of his former self in every match he has played. I surely can't be the only one here with that opinion.

Ye but its a bit of an overreaction to say Bartra is better than him and that we should sell him. Lets put a top class defender beside Pique next season and see how he gets on. He's still a very talented defender.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Ye but its a bit of an overreaction to say Bartra is better than him and that we should sell him. Lets put a top class defender beside Pique next season and see how he gets on. He's still a very talented defender.

Knee-jerk gold at its best.

Can't wait till the official transfer period opens – reading the stuff said here will be profoundly entertaining.

rixxer

You might be. You are doing no favors yourself by exaggerating things very-very wildly. Such words as "coward", "he does not care" just drag your opinion to rubbish bin. Remember the Bayern game (the second leg)? Coward and he does not care ?
Pique was very good during dec-jan, but I think overplaying him has done him no favors (like many others this season). I may echo some things again in here, but he really needs a leader beside him as a CB.

Doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Bartra is capable of handling more playing time and Inigo Martinez/Marquinhos would definitely be very great transfers and smart long term solutions. Plus there are other defenders for the club to consider transfers for as well.

We need a world class CB now, not in the future. Inigo Martinez or Marquinhos would be good backups and good buys for the future, but right now, we need a proven world class CB.

I can understand Tito's doubts about Hummels, but if we don't want Hummels, we need to push hard for Silva. Or some other world-class CB, though those 2 do seem to be the club's main options when it comes to world class CBs.

If we have money left over after our other transfers, I wouldn't mind buying Inigo Martinez or Marquinhos as a backup (but not as the starting CB because, like I said, we need a proven world class CB for that). I think getting Silva + Marquinhos or Martinez would be ideal, though I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Last edited:

I agree with you. He doesn't play as he played in 2010/2011. In that time he used to have confidence and he played to win. Now he often fail and makes mistakes and he isn't sort of player like Puyol to motivate and lead defence and whole team eaven if he make mistake.
If you ask me I would sell Pique - but there is a problem with defence so if FCB sell him than need to buy 2 players on that position, and good players eather they cost too much eather they not good enough.

Andrew M

Whenever he play for Spain he is really good. He has won a world cup and a euro championship and has been part of very solid defences. Del Bosque is not a half-wit. Ramos and Pique are both very good.

I think it is wrong for people to make Pique embody all that is wrong with Barca defence. Our defence is suffering because our whole team is playing badly.

We have to defend as a unit.

SeloBarca

Pique should never be the leader in the Defence, hes naturally lazy and needs someone like Puyol to slap him now and then. I guess Silva could. Tbh i would like to see a new CD pair, Hummels-Silva would be great, but to expensive.
But Pique is to secure in his place beeing a LaMasia player. He has been crap this season though.

Pique should never be the leader in the Defence, hes naturally lazy and needs someone like Puyol to slap him now and then. I guess Silva could. Tbh i would like to see a new CD pair, Hummels-Silva would be great, but to expensive.
But Pique is to secure in his place beeing a LaMasia player. He has been crap this season though.

I don't see us being able to buy both Silva and Hummels, so I'd just buy Silva and pair him with Pique. IMO, selling Pique would more likely than not make our defense even weaker than it is already.

Andrew M

Do the detractors not see how important Pique is? Everything starts through him. When I was at the Bayern match on 1st May he was basically Xavi.

Gilberto

Yeah, it's impossible to buy both silva and hummels but one of the two is necessary (or a different world class defender). I really hope piqué will prove himself next season.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
We need a world class CB now, not in the future. Inigo Martinez or Marquinhos would be good backups and good buys for the future, but right now, we need a proven world class CB.

I can understand Tito's doubts about Hummels, but if we don't want Hummels, we need to push hard for Silva. Or some other world-class CB, though those 2 do seem to be the club's main options when it comes to world class CBs.

We're not lacking in capable CB's, we're lacking in overall depth and a solid defensive system. Throwing random money away for a "world class" defender isn't gonna solve any long term problems or even be a good fix. A guy like Martinez is fine as a transfer because he's reliable, adds depth, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting and performing well and helping to fix some of our actual problems.

Buying Hummels would just be buying a big name to give satisfaction to paranoid fans who don't think further about the problems. What would come from buying a slow sweeper-stye CB who gets killed on the counter (something which he doesn't have to deal much with at Dortmund)? Honestly a guy like Marquinhos, despite being much younger, is better fitted to what our defense faces and currently needs. All people are doing is judging the defenders off of popularity and age and not actual playing style and quality. Thiago Silva is a good option obviously but he's not a long term solution, would get injured a lot (which is the last thing we need right now), and has an insanely high price tag and wage. Buying Martinez/Marquinhos is not as bad as people make it out to be, they just freak because they are not the famous high profile names that they want to see at the club.

Home of Barca Fans