Transfers and Rumours - old thread

oz187

If the transfer is 40M, that works out as 10M a year for 4 years. For a club with a 500M annual revenue that works out as investing 2% of revenues on the player. If it helps the team win the Champions League it's worth every penny. Messi is 25, this is possibly the best chance the club will ever have to win Champions League trophies. Fuck the future, the club should be looking at what they need to win now.

Irish_Cules

Well, yes and no - he is more of a hybrid that knows how to adapt himself to his partner. As an illustration, every time he partners with Sakho he turns into a sweeper as Sakho's definitely the quicker and more aggressive of the two. Then again, whilst he plays with Alex he reverts into full-blown stopper. I guess he COULD be a hit in this Barça side - it's just that I doubt he'd come cheap. In addition to that, I'd honestly like Barca gunning for a longer-term solution than Silva who has a somewhat questionable physical record.

I agree but there are very few options out there at the moment. No matter how talented he is, Marquinhos is only 18 years old. Sure, Varane is young also but he was integrated into the team slowly over two seasons. We can't just throw in Marquinhos as our first choice and even though he'd add depth we'd still be lacking a solid partner for Pique because we can't really rely on Puyol, Masch or Bartra for various reasons. Inigo Martinez is a safer option but if Sociedead qualify for the Champions League I don't see them letting him go for much lower than his buyout clause (30m).

Andrew M

If Hummels isn't available, then Iñigo Martínez is my choice.

Atletico Madrid and Tottenham have offered 12M for David Villa (31). If he leaves, Barcelona hope to get at least 15M. [sport]

12M for Villa? How the hell we will get the 100M for transfers?

What did you expect? I think that is an ok deal for him at this stage. Plus we will disencumber ourselves of his wages

Doobs

The Messiah
Silva is not a sweeper. He's fast and agrresive which is what we need our other centre back to be. He's an excellent reader of the game as well and he's a sweeper in the sense that he uses his reading of the game to make interceptions and uses pace to catch any strikers but he's hardly in the same mold as Pique, Hummels or Bartra. I understand concerns about paying such a huge amount for a 29 year old but you're getting the best centre back in the world who will stay at a high level for another 4-5 years who has everything that the Barca defense is lacking at the moment: pace, power, aggression, leadership skills, aerial ability.

If he has all the attributes you mentioned, playing sweeper should be cake for someone who can read the game as well as him with his pace. The only concern with him is that he tends to get injured, especially muscle injuries. Which would mean we'd either need another player or settle with Masch back in defence.

He's been eating forwards for lunch in France and yet he gets injured. That coupled with the fact that he'll demand insane wages and we'll pay a ton. But now is the time risks need to be taken and I say go for it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Alves-Pique-Puyol/Mascherano-Alba is all we really need. Problem this season is that midfielders and attackers don't press like they used to so the back 4 gets exposed too often. A kick up their backsides would solve a lot of problems. But that's Tito's problem really as players who are here have enough quality.

Sign Inigo from Sociedad as another backup option and we are set.

Doobs

The Messiah
Alves-Pique-Puyol/Mascherano-Alba is all we really need. Problem this season is that midfielders and attackers don't press like they used to so the back 4 gets exposed too often. A kick up their backsides would solve a lot of problems. But that's Tito's problem really as players who are here have enough quality.

I don't agree Bojan ,I think the team needs a reshuffle at the back and some world class quality needs to be added.

We've become way to predictable at the back, and teams have been exposing the same old weaknesses time and again.

The 35 year old injury-prone Puyol or Masch who's not a real CB? Not to mention that, like I said before, Pique is pretty inconsistent (but like I also said before, pairing him with a world-class CB would really help IMO). I agree that the pressing needs to return, but we also need a new word-class CB to replace Puyol/Masch as the starter.

P

PhilS

Well, the back line just has not looked up to the challenge this year against top offenses. Even before the injuries to Puyol and Masch. I can't help wondering if Barca would be getting ready right now for CL and Copa finals if they had pulled the trigger on spending the big bucks for Thiago Silva. Masch could have backed up Busquets just fine instead of getting Song.

The defenders just have not jelled this year, I can't pinpoint exactly whom to blame for that. Since Tito is staying, there just has to be an attempt to upgrade the defenders. I'd like to see a new, first choice CB, and also a larger FB to add to the FB choices.

Boris

It's so hard to expect from Puyol to play on high level in the coming years. He keeps injuring himself due to his ''give it all'' playing style, and it will get worse. I wouldn't count on him being our first choice CB. He's a leader and great defender but the sooner we realise he's done and find a replacement, the better.

It's so hard to expect from Puyol to play on high level in the coming years. He keeps injuring himself due to his ''give it all'' playing style, and it will get worse. I wouldn't count on him being our first choice CB. He's a leader and great defender but the sooner we realise he's done and find a replacement, the better.

I wouldn't say he's "done" but we definitely need to get someone to replace him as the starter. He can be a great 3rd choice CB next season though.

Theconomist

We definitely need a reshuffling of the defence. Vertonghen would actually be a good option since he can play as a LB too and won't break the bank.
Can't we get Vertonghen+Marquinhos/Martinez? It would be all we'd really need for years.

jklz

According to German and Italian sources, there have been new contacts regarding Monchengladbach keeper Ter Stegen. Deal could be close. [md]

Please let it be true.

Home of Barca Fans