Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Kerrybai

@Bojan the problem with that line-up imo is height and stability - Alves - Pique - Masch/puyol - Alba

1. Alves, Masch and Alba are all under 5 foot 9 inches. If Puyol is injured or been rested that leaves us with one tall defender. It exposes us badly on set pieces.
2. We were far more stable in defence with Abidal as he was less inclined to attack. We should consider playing Montoya over Alves to give us a more stable defence.

With a more defensive minded LB/RB our defence could improve greatly.

@Bojan the problem with that line-up imo is height and stability - Alves - Pique - Masch/puyol - Alba

1. Alves, Masch and Alba are all under 5 foot 9 inches. If Puyol is injured or been rested that leaves us with one tall defender. It exposes us badly on set pieces.
2. We were far more stable in defence with Abidal as he was less inclined to attack. We should consider playing Montoya over Alves to give us a more stable defence.

With a more defensive minded LB/RB our defence could improve greatly.

Tbh, I can see this 2 attacking fullbacks thing working with a better center of the defense and better pressing. Especially if we also manage to get Alves and Alba to take turns attacking. Bayern use 2 attacking FBs and have a great defensive record, so it's not like there's no way for it to work. I haven't seen much of them, but I'm guessing the reason it works for them is because the center of their defense is strong (a lot stronger than our current CB pairing, for instance) with Dante in it, and because of pressing. And the double pivot doesn't hurt either, though I don't think we should switch to one.

Last edited:

mixer

According to German and Italian sources, there have been new contacts regarding Monchengladbach keeper Ter Stegen. Deal could be close. [md]

Great :D

Sorry, I didn't notice someone posted it before.

Anyway, HOPE IT'S TRUE!!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 8m
(J) Centre back issue. There's a standoff between coach and club. The club has been working on Hummels, can now wrap up the deal.

J) Centre back issue. Vilanova thinks he has Hummels profile already covered with Pique (and backup Bartra), so he prefers another profile.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 5m
(J) Centre back issue. Vilanova doesn't want to give in again on centre back after he already did last summer, and the team paid for that.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 4m
(J) Centre back issue. Hummels-Thiago Silva discussion is also a nice example of how both camps leak things to press. Media is key in Spain.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 3m
(J) Centre back issue. Club leaks "Vilanova don't want Hummels after all our hard work". Vilanova camp leaks "Player being forced upon us".

Who the hell does Tito think he is??? :facepalm:

His stubbornness is going to cost us so much.

Galning

Everybody's always saying we need a fast defender to deal with the counter attacks and blablabla but look at the goals we actually conceded from counters. Never ever was it because one of our defenders was outpaced by someone, it almost always was because they were outnumbered.

Trickykid

Who the hell does Tito think he is??? :facepalm:

His stubbornness is going to cost us so much.

Just a wild shot, but you know, I actually believe he thinks he's the coach of the team. Yeah, yeah, I know it's quite a shocker! Wanting to have influence on who to sign? What a sick bastard!

abual3bed1

Everybody's always saying we need a fast defender to deal with the counter attacks and blablabla but look at the goals we actually conceded from counters. Never ever was it because one of our defenders was outpaced by someone, it almost always was because they were outnumbered.

Or being way out of position. Just take a look at the 2nd game of copa against Madrid and you'll see the great spaces for a pacy player like Ronaldo even in the early minutes in a game we could've sealed on 0-0. But no, our defenders start pushing forward very early in the game and keep those huge spaces behind them, when they can't cope with the likes of Ronaldo and Di Maria.

MagIX

I agree.
I think (i hope) that our management has finally understand that our defence (or better in general our team) has a problem: OUR HEIGHT.
We no longer have even a striker or midfielder (apart Busquets/Song, however they never play together) who can help us defensively (corner, free cick), in the air we have always been dominated and it cost us a lot of goals.

BorussiaBarcelona

We're not lacking in capable CB's, we're lacking in overall depth and a solid defensive system. Throwing random money away for a "world class" defender isn't gonna solve any long term problems or even be a good fix. A guy like Martinez is fine as a transfer because he's reliable, adds depth, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting and performing well and helping to fix some of our actual problems.

Buying Hummels would just be buying a big name to give satisfaction to paranoid fans who don't think further about the problems. What would come from buying a slow sweeper-stye CB who gets killed on the counter (something which he doesn't have to deal much with at Dortmund)? Honestly a guy like Marquinhos, despite being much younger, is better fitted to what our defense faces and currently needs. All people are doing is judging the defenders off of popularity and age and not actual playing style and quality. Thiago Silva is a good option obviously but he's not a long term solution, would get injured a lot (which is the last thing we need right now), and has an insanely high price tag and wage. Buying Martinez/Marquinhos is not as bad as people make it out to be, they just freak because they are not the famous high profile names that they want to see at the club.

Great post Don. :beer2:

We've got centre backs but what we do lack is a fast cb that can help defend the coubter attack and also add some more toughnes to the back four.

Also, no one likes bringing up Real, but they made a pretty good desicion when the bought that young, lanky cb from France two years ago.
Now, after grooming him for some time, he's their starting cb and probably for the forseable future.

So guys like Martinez or Marqhinhos would make sense.
Also, if you want to go the "Varane route" you could look at a guy like Matthias Ginter of SC Freiburg.
He's only 19 years old, playing very well at Freiburg and has been linked to Borussia Dortmund quite a bit.

According to German and Italian sources, there have been new contacts regarding Monchengladbach keeper Ter Stegen. Deal could be close. [md]

Please let it be true.

Which Italian sources?
Sky Italia?
If so, then it could be true, cause they've also been the ones reporting Pep to Bayern first.

MagIX

Great :D

Sorry, I didn't notice someone posted it before.

Anyway, HOPE IT'S TRUE!!

I would like to know what are these sources......funny, for what i have read in german, they wrote that according spain newspaper (some indicate MD) there have been new contacts regarding Monchengladbach keeper Ter Stegen. Deal could be close
:lol:

Great post Don. :beer2:

We've got centre backs but what we do lack is a fast cb that can help defend the coubter attack and also add some more toughnes to the back four.

Also, no one likes bringing up Real, but they made a pretty good desicion when the bought that young, lanky cb from France two years ago.
Now, after grooming him for some time, he's their starting cb and probably for the forseable future.

So guys like Martinez or Marqhinhos would make sense.
Also, if you want to go the "Varane route" you could look at a guy like Matthias Ginter of SC Freiburg.
He's only 19 years old, playing very well at Freiburg and has been linked to Borussia Dortmund quite a bit.

Which Italian sources?
Sky Italia?
If so, then it could be true, cause they've also been the ones reporting Pep to Bayern first.

There's no guarantee that Marquinhos or Martinez will turn out like Varane. Besides, Varane didn't become the starter immediately, he needed a season and a half for that. Not to mention that when RM bought Varane, their defense wasn't as shitty as ours is now. We need a new starting CB now, not in a season or 2. Which is why I think we need to get a proven world class CB, I just don't think we could get a fairly inexperienced CB like Marquinhos or Martinez, throw him right into the starting lineup, and expect it to work well. There's a chance it will, but getting a proven world class CB is a much safer option IMO.

Don't get me wrong, someone like Martinez or Marquinhos would be a good backup and a great option for the future (and I'd definitely take one of them over a few of the other CBs we've been linked with i.e. Vermaelen or Luiz). I think getting Silva + one of Martinez or Marquinhos would be ideal, but unfortunately that's not very realistic. Who knows though, I suppose anything can happen...

If we have money left over after our other transfers (world class CB, GK, striker if Villa leaves), I definitely think we should go for someone like Martinez or Marquinhos to add depth. IMO, our priority list in the transfer window should be something like:

1. World-class CB
2. GK
3. Striker if Villa leaves
4. Wonderkid CB like Marquinhos or Martinez
5. Neymar

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans