Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Irish_Cules

Sid Lowe is claiming irrefutable sources that it is true...But hey, can't blame Falcao, there's money to be made and as far as I know, there are very agreeable tax advantages to getting a hefty salary in Monaco...Russian & Qatari oil money, game is definitely changing

Ye but leaving a team who have just qualified for the Champions League for a team who just got promoted to League 1 in France is ridiculous. He's a young enough guy, there will be plenty of time for him later in his career to make big money somewhere but at the moment he should be concerned about playing at the highest level and challenging for trophies. If it is true, I bet the move is almost completely down to the third party owner and Falcao is reluctantly going along with it.

F

Flavia

If Barcelona cannot sign PSG centre back Thiago Silva (29), Vilanova doesn't rule out to not sign any centre back this summer. [el9]

I seriously hope, this is some Kind of joke. If we don't sign an CB this summer, Tito has gone completely crazy.

I hope this is just more paper bs. If this were to happen, I wouldn't even know what to say :fool:

Yannick03

If Barcelona cannot sign PSG centre back Thiago Silva (29), Vilanova doesn't rule out to not sign any centre back this summer. [el9]

I seriously hope, this is some Kind of joke. If we don't sign an CB this summer, Tito has gone completely crazy.

I will never forgive Tito if that is true.

JonM

I can't decide if having more arab/russian clubs is a good or a bad thing. On one hand, it completely disrupt the transfer market and destroy any hope of smaller clubs keeping their top players. On the other hand, it could create an absurd bidding war between these clubs, leading to a crash of some sort. Then things might go back to normal.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Honestly that kept me confused for a while because that's a triple negative :lol:

Hope it's not true though

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Tbh, I can see this 2 attacking fullbacks thing working with a better center of the defense and better pressing. Especially if we also manage to get Alves and Alba to take turns attacking. Bayern use 2 attacking FBs and have a great defensive record, so it's not like there's no way for it to work. I haven't seen much of them, but I'm guessing the reason it works for them is because the center of their defense is strong (a lot stronger than our current CB pairing, for instance) with Dante in it, and because of pressing. And the double pivot doesn't hurt either, though I don't think we should switch to one.

... You do realize that Lahm and Alaba are two of the best fullbacks when it comes to defense right? They are very efficient and strong going forward, but balance that with unbelievable composure and discipline in defense (something lacking in Alba and Alves)

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Great post Don. :beer2:

We've got centre backs but what we do lack is a fast cb that can help defend the coubter attack and also add some more toughnes to the back four.

Also, no one likes bringing up Real, but they made a pretty good desicion when the bought that young, lanky cb from France two years ago.
Now, after grooming him for some time, he's their starting cb and probably for the forseable future.

So guys like Martinez or Marqhinhos would make sense.
Also, if you want to go the "Varane route" you could look at a guy like Matthias Ginter of SC Freiburg.
He's only 19 years old, playing very well at Freiburg and has been linked to Borussia Dortmund quite a bit.

Which Italian sources?
Sky Italia?
If so, then it could be true, cause they've also been the ones reporting Pep to Bayern first.

Very insightful and interesting point about Matthias Ginter, I'll definitely look into him. Although that being said, I don't think the club will :lol:

If they go for the "Varane route" it'll most likely be in the form of Marquinhos (even though he's already well known so it's not a transfer that would necessarily be a stroke of genius)

Bringing Inigo Martinez in would definitely strengthen his case for the NT and he would assimilate into the team seamlessly.

... You do realize that Lahm and Alaba are two of the best fullbacks when it comes to defense right? They are very efficient and strong going forward, but balance that with unbelievable composure and discipline in defense (something lacking in Alba and Alves)

Fair enough. I did say I haven't seen much of Bayern.

I can still see the 2 attacking FBs thing working with a better CB pairing and better pressing. Maybe try getting them to take turns attacking or something? Alba can be a pretty good defender when he actually defends (see the 2nd leg against Milan). Hell, even Alves can occasionally be decent defensively when he defends (though he hardly ever does :lol:).

Alba/Montoya could be the way to go though. I say start off with Alves/Alba as the FB pairing next season. If it doesn't work with a better CB pairing and (hopefully) better pressing, then drop Alves for Montoya or something.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans