Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I doubt that Özil was a real cule, ever. Probably admired the players etc but not a cule. Draxler, however, is a madridista, stated it often enough...

Or he's just thinking about himself and puts money and fame above loyalty and other abstract feelings. Just like how he chose to play for Germany despite feeling more Turkish.

loozy

Or he's just thinking about himself and puts money and fame above loyalty and other abstract feelings. Just like how he chose to play for Germany despite feeling more Turkish.

Contrary to Gündogan he has always handled that issue more delicately, especially when it came to the qualifiers against Turkey where beforehand he said that it was a decision to play for the country where he had been raised and which had given so much to him and his family.

Of course there is also the factor of money and success playing into every player's decision (I highly doubt that Iniesta or Messi would still be at Barca if they weren't that successful).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Says who Oezil is feeling more Turkish than German? He is proud of his Turkish roots for sure, but he has always stated that he wanted to play for the country where he was born and raised. In my book this is called loyalty.

In my opinion the less "ethno-nationalist" players like Giuseppe Rossi there is, the better.

loozy

You can fault Gündogan for that characteristic. He stated that he and Nuri Sahin hoped that a lot of Turkish people would watch the finale now because two Turkish players were playing in it that were representing Turkey, him and Sahin ;) Sahin is playing for the Turkish NT, Gündogan, however, is playing for Germany... I am wondering now who is putting possible fame above everything else? ;) I'm just saying...

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You can fault Gündogan for that characteristic. He stated that he and Nuri Sahin hoped that a lot of Turkish people would watch the finale now because two Turkish players were playing in it that were representing Turkey, him and Sahin ;) Sahin is playing for the Turkish NT, Gündogan, however, is playing for Germany... I am wondering now who is putting possible fame above everything else? ;) I'm just saying...

Is it possible that he said that in the context of being interviewed by some Turkish media outlet? He was just saying it for the sake of saying it?

There is nothing wrong with these ethnic Turkish players wanting to play for Germany. You have to be really good to play in the Nationalmannschaft, if you prefer spotlight, playing time in the WC etc., playing for Turkey has a much better chance of achieving that than playing for Germany.

Loozy, by the way, Ekici is playing for Turkey, right?

loozy

Is it possible that he said that in the context of being interviewed by some Turkish media outlet? He was just saying it for the sake of saying it?

There is nothing wrong with these ethnic Turkish players wanting to play for Germany. You have to be really good to play in the Nationalmannschaft, if you prefer spotlight, playing time in the WC etc., playing for Turkey has a much better chance of achieving that than playing for Germany.

Loozy, by the way, Ekici is playing for Turkey, right?

He was interviewed by German media afaik.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I just think that if you play for Germany you should not come right out and say that you feel Turkish and that you represent Turkey. It hit a wrong note with a number of people so I am not the only one thinking this is kind of off.

And yes, Ekici is playing for Turkey.

edit: I hope this is not coming across too radical or racist or something. It's just that someone like Özil does not affiliate himself that much with Turkey or as openly, and neither do the other players with a migration background...

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He was interviewed by German media afaik.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I just think that if you play for Germany you should not come right out and say that you feel Turkish and that you represent Turkey. It hit a wrong note with a number of people so I am not the only one thinking this is kind of off.

And yes, Ekici is playing for Turkey.

edit: I hope this is not coming across too radical or racist or something. It's just that someone like Özil does not affiliate himself that much with Turkey or as openly, and neither do the other players with a migration background...

Don't worry Loozy. You did not come off radical or racist.

I also think there is nothing wrong with Gundogan expressing his Turkish pride. His action (of choosing to play for Germany) speaks louder than his words.

loozy

I actually don't believe that.

I think it was a clinical decision as to where he would get the most chances to win something/get international recognition. And that's okay, if I was more patriotic, I'd be happy that he plays for Germany; it's just that you don't hear Podolski or Khedira or Özil calling themselves Polish, Turkish or whatever (cannot remember what country Khedira's parents originate from and am too lazy to look it up).

Z

ZiZu

I actually don't believe that.

I think it was a clinical decision as to where he would get the most chances to win something/get international recognition. And that's okay, if I was more patriotic, I'd be happy that he plays for Germany; it's just that you don't hear Podolski or Khedira or Özil calling themselves Polish, Turkish or whatever (cannot remember what country Khedira's parents originate from and am too lazy to look it up).

Anyone know what the split of Bermany's first eleven is ?

There's at least 3 Turks in there and maybe a couple of Poles and one Brazilian CF .

loozy

There's at least 3 Turks in there and maybe a couple of Poles and one Brazilian CF .

This is the current squad:
Goal: Adler, Neuer, ter Stegen, Zieler (all as German as they come)
Defense: Badstuber, Boateng (Ghanain parents; brother plays for Ghana nt), Mertesacker, Lahm, Hummels, Jansen, Westermann, Höwedes, Schmelzer, Jung
Midfield: Draxler, Podolski (Polish parents, think he was also born in Poland), Khedira (Middle Eastern parents), Kroos, Özil (Turkish parents), Müller, Schweinsteiger Reus, Schürrle, Götze, Holtby (English father, captains Germany's U-21 and has also played for the German nt), Sven & Lars Bender, Ilkay Gündogan (Turkish :p), Roman Neustädter (think he has Eastern European blood, but not sure), Patrick Herrmann
Strikers: Gomez (Spanish parents), Klose (born and raised in Poland, came to Germany aged 8)

Current first eleven:

Neuer
Lahm - Mertesacker - Hummels - Schmelzer
Schweinsteiger - Khedira
Müller - Özil - Schürrle
Gomez/Klose

So we have 4 players with a migration background; varies, however, depending if Gündogan plays instead of Schweinsteiger or Götze instead of Özil or something like that.

Last edited:

Indignado

The Brazilian CF was Cacau but afaik he doesn't get called up anymore (there are better CF than him).

It depends on the starting 11 but in general I'd say the best 11 only has 2 "foreigners" (Ozil and Khedira/Gundogan).

So we have 4 players with a migration background; varies, however, depending if Gündogan plays instead of Schweinsteiger or Götze instead of Özil or something like that.

Gomez, Ozil, Khedira are only 3?

I thought of Gotze as false 9 but it's true that Gomez would probably play :p

loozy

The Brazilian CF was Cacau but afaik he doesn't get called up anymore (there are better CF than him).

It depends on the starting 11 but in general I'd say the best 11 only has 2 "foreigners" (Ozil and Khedira/Gundogan).

Not a lot of better German strikers, actually. There is Klose and there is Gomez. Kießling is out of the national team (Löw is an idiot :facepalm:) and Cacau is currently injured (and also undeserving of a nomination anyways :p).

However, the future for Germany is modelled on Spain: Götze replacing Gomez/Klose which then relieves Löw of the ardious task of finding a German striker as neither Klose nor Gomez are getting any younger.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Says who Oezil is feeling more Turkish than German? He is proud of his Turkish roots for sure, but he has always stated that he wanted to play for the country where he was born and raised. In my book this is called loyalty.

In my opinion the less "ethno-nationalist" players like Giuseppe Rossi there is, the better.

Well Altintop who grew up very close to Özil and knows him since they were young disagrees...

http://www.spiegel.de/international...ash-puts-oezil-in-the-spotlight-a-721795.html
http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...tisiert-weg-von-oezil-und-co-_aid_559524.html

Ofcourse he's not going to admit that he chose Germany because he'd win more titles and earn more money.

Home of Barca Fans