Transfers and Rumours - old thread

loozy

Well Altintop who grew up very close to Özil and knows him since they were young disagrees...

http://www.spiegel.de/international...ash-puts-oezil-in-the-spotlight-a-721795.html
http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...tisiert-weg-von-oezil-und-co-_aid_559524.html

Of course he's not going to admit that he chose Germany because he'd win more titles and earn more money.

Altintop's just bitter ;) Believe me, had he been on the radar of the DFB, he'd be playing for Germany and not for Turkey :p He's always stated, though, that he is more Turkish than German whereas Özil has always kept quiet about the topic which is what I prefer, rather than the route that Gündogan took.

This is something that I don't understand, tbh. You are born in the country, you are raised in the country, you speak the language more than you speak your parents' language and you passed through the youth system of the national side - and then you decide to play for a country you know from stories and holidays?

I sincerely don't get it.

For example: my fiancé's English and we're going to be moving to England at some point and when we have children I'd expect them to play for/represent England because they will be raised there, they will speak the language etc.

edit: it should be noted, however, that sometimes Turkish people don't always integrate themselves into society but rather stick to their own. This is not a generalisation in any way but the ties of those children with Turkish background to their grandparents or great-grandparents country of ancestry is so much tighter than those of children with another background. It is a rather peculiar thing. Surveys have shown that the 3rd generation of Turkish descendants now feels more Turkish than German because their parents raise them more Turkish than German due to them being afraid of losing their heritage.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
^ Actually that's the subject of a post/article I read which is where I first heard about the Özil/Altintop situation. It mentioned the somewhat flawed integration in Germany.

Personally I think it's great if they have more than one national identity, and could consider playing for more than one NT. The issue is when people/groups become detached from much of the society.

---
Also Özil has shown time and time again that he's not much for loyalty.

loozy

^ Actually that's the subject of a post/article I read which is where I first heard about the Özil/Altintop situation. It mentioned the somewhat flawed integration in Germany.

Personally I think it's great if they have more than one national identity, and could consider playing for more than one NT. The issue is when people/groups become detached from much of the society.

---
Also Özil has shown time and time again that he's not much for loyalty.

I could go on and on about this topic. I work in a school where a lot of pupils have a lower working class and/or migration background and looking at a some of them you'd think that integration is something the Germans don't have a clue about.

A dual national identity is good and to each their own, but then stick to the country you represent (my children will certainly get to know all about German traditions and holidays and they will be raised bilingually). I'd have an issue with Messi if he referred to himself as Argentinean while playing for the Spanish national team.
And like I already mentioned, none of the other players with a migration background are calling themselves Polish or Spanish or Tunesian (hah, I looked up Khedira's parents' nationality, so proud :p). This is just a current beef I have with Gündogan.

As for Özil: wow, you really don't like him, do you? :D

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Don't Klose/Podolski call themselves about 50/50? I personally feel like you could play for any NT you want as long as you have feelings for it and a connection to it, but it should mainly be a decision taken based on your feelings.

As for Özil I don't really dislike him; I just don't respect him whatsoever. To me he seems disloyal, egotistical, dishonest and cowardly. Not that much dislike though as he's only a bit thugish.

loozy

Don't Klose/Podolski call themselves about 50/50? I personally feel like you could play for any NT you want as long as you have feelings for it and a connection to it, but it should mainly be a decision taken based on your feelings.

As for Özil I don't really dislike him; I just don't respect him whatsoever. To me he seems disloyal, egotistical, dishonest and cowardly.

They were born in Poland so there is more of a connection than with someone born in Germany.

I like Özil since he played for Bremen and I didn't begrudge him moving to Madrid. He made the right choice, imo, and at least Bremen got a bit of cash off him :p (though they never adequately replaced, neither did they Diego or Mertesacker and it is showing). I haven't followed him as closely since he left but he seems to have become a bit of a douche (at least when it comes to dressing himself and the car he drives) - he is still a pleasure to watch, though, and is one of my fav German players.

Well, if you say that one should pick their country to play for according to how they feel, then Gündogan is playing for the wrong nt :D :p

Anyways. Back to topic, sorry for veering off.

Transfer and rumours.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Neymar rumours are seriously annoying.

Just announce the damn deal and decide on whether we should get Thiago Silva or Hummels!

F

Frejsgodes

he's an overrated douche
Why do you say that? Have you ever talked to him, seen or heard about him being a douche? One could argue that Messi is a douche too (kicking ball into crowd, headbutt, spit) and Alba (throwing ball in Robben's face) and others on the Barcelona team. Do you want them off the team? Of course you don't. Seems like you're just throwing around an usubstatiated accusation. Can you provide evidence to your claim?

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I see the way he acts on the pitch and infer that he is a douche. In matches, he acts cockily and arrogantly, which is a pretty big no-no to me, especially when he isn't that good. Alba is kind of a douche, though not as big as Neuer (that thing with the ball he was innocent though) and as for Messi, those are just isolated incidents.

Home of Barca Fans