Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
How is what Don said not an example of cockiness?

Luft, how many games does he actually have to make saves?

Superfly, again, everyone seems to consider Neuer not error-prone and I don't understand why. All of them commit the occasional mistake, but all of them have more saves than Neuer because their defenses are worse. The number of mistakes is roughly the same, the number of saves is not.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Reckless I will give it to you, sometimes he is. But cocky? I don't think so.

Warming up a substitute midgame is the epitome of being cocky and disrespecting the opposition. Plus all his comments to the press thinking he's a genius after every high profile save. He's got ability, but he needs to stop acting so high and mighty about it.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Only keepers on that list I would say have been as good are De Gea, Courtois, and probably Lopez. I don't watch Juventus so I can't comment on Buffon.

Cech, Lloris, Handanovic are prone to their fair share of error.

Caballero has been amazing in goal for Malaga this season, same with Handanovic for Inter, and Buffon's been pretty damn great as well. Cech and Lloris have done well but not best in the world I'd say

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
How is what Don said not an example of cockiness?

Luft, how many games does he actually have to make saves?

Superfly, again, everyone seems to consider Neuer not error-prone and I don't understand why. All of them commit the occasional mistake, but all of them have more saves than Neuer because their defenses are worse. The number of mistakes is roughly the same, the number of saves is not.

Neuer had 68 saves, 81.9% saved in 2012/13 season vs. Valdes' 58 saves and 64.4% saved.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/bund/players.asp?player=33975

I checked the stats of all the other premium goalkeepers mentioned in this thread for the 12/13 season, Neuer by far has the highest save percentage. That said, except for Iloris (62 saves), Diego Lopez (47 saves) and our very own Valdes (58 saves), all the other goalkeepers had more saves than Neuer.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Warming up a substitute midgame is the epitome of being cocky and disrespecting the opposition. Plus all his comments to the press thinking he's a genius after every high profile save. He's got ability, but he needs to stop acting so high and mighty about it.

His comments to the press? I have never heard any self-congratulatory comments from Neuer, on the contrary, I have seen him apologizing rather profusely for his mistakes. Don, care to point out some of those alleged comments you mentioned?

Duke

spent the past few pages reading about Neuer and his face off with Valdes.

this seems legit!

Move on guys, Neuer not switching with anyone!

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
"I knew where Ronaldo would place his penalty"

The German keeper then mocked Ramos for his failed attempt, saying: "I did not know that he would prefer to send it over the bar."

He mocked Oliver Kahn's title celebration

Plus his various arrogant grins whenever he makes a save or the opposition suffer in any way

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
"I knew where Ronaldo would place his penalty"

The German keeper then mocked Ramos for his failed attempt, saying: "I did not know that he would prefer to send it over the bar."

He mocked Oliver Kahn's title celebration

Plus his various arrogant grins whenever he makes a save or the opposition suffer in any way

I supposed the first two were from last year's CL victory against Real Madrid? If my memory serves me correctly, Ramos trash-talked about Bayern and that was his way of vindication and payback?

I don't really see anything too out of line there. But again, we all like/dislike certain players and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so when you don't like someone, none of what he says or does sit well with you, I understand. ;)

Anyway, back to the real transfer rumors. Neuer will not leave Bayern, period.

LeoMessi10

I've watched quite a bit of Neuer and I will agree he definitely is a cocky guy. He realizes how skilled he is and he isn't scared to believe in himself. I will say Neuer is excellent though, I watched him play vs United for schalke and he honestly is the only reason they didn't give up 20 goals he consistently denied them. I do think he occasionally loses focus in smaller games or when he doesn't think he has to pay attention but if he's locked in there aren't but maybe 2 keepers better (iker, buffon)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I've watched quite a bit of Neuer and I will agree he definitely is a cocky guy. He realizes how skilled he is and he isn't scared to believe in himself. I will say Neuer is excellent though, I watched him play vs United for schalke and he honestly is the only reason they didn't give up 20 goals he consistently denied them. I do think he occasionally loses focus in smaller games or when he doesn't think he has to pay attention but if he's locked in there aren't but maybe 2 keepers better (iker, buffon)

One thing Neuer is apparently not very good at is defending and saving corner kicks. He has conceded quite a few goals from corners, but I think it is mostly his teammates's fault. Bayern is pretty terrible in defending corners. I hope Klopp will take full advantage of that. :emotions16:

Home of Barca Fans