Transfers and Rumours - old thread

P

PhilS

There is a lot of concern about getting the best possible CB this summer. Yes, Barca should go for the very best.

But, it would not require the very best to improve from last year. I thought the Pique-Puyol-Masch rotation was adequate. But given Puyol's age and propensity to injury, that was no where enough depth. Bartra was left to rot on the bench until both Puyol and Masch were unavailable, and then it was predictable that the Pique-Bartra partnership could not just step in with no experience and cope with the top opponents. The others used at CB also were just not ready to learn that job against top teams. Adriano could probably become a decent CB after 100 or so games to learn the position.

There are lots and lots of experienced CBs out there who could have helped Barca last season. Let's be grateful and optimistic about whomever the team gets, it will be a significant step up.

KluivertsBoots

Not liking what I'm hearing about Barca may sell Thiago? Barca do that then seriously Rosell, Zubi and Tito can kill themselves.

I really like Thiago as a talent, but he needs to greatly improve his playmaking skills if he wants to run Barca's midfield and supplant Xavi.

I think Thiago has a very good understanding of tempo, but he lacks the vision to open defenses. For this reason alone, I understand why Barca would listen to a very strong offer (nothing less than 25m euros).

Barca would then need to dip into the market, and find a player who has vision.

For young players, I really like the young Croatian Inter signed this year (Mateo Kovacic). He is not as strong as Thiago, but he has the playmaking quality Thiago lacks.

James Rodriguez would be my midfield dream signing for Barca.

Last edited:

psychotsek

I really like Thiago as a talent, but he needs to greatly improve his playmaking skills if he wants to run Barca's midfield and supplant Xavi.

I think Thiago has a very good understanding of tempo, but he lacks the vision to open defenses. For this reason alone, I understand why Barca would listen to a very strong offer (nothing less than 25m euros).

Barca would then need to dip into the market, and find a player who has vision.

For young players, I really like the young Croatian Inter signed this year (Mateo Kovacic). He is not as strong as Thiago, but he has the playmaking quality Thiago lacks.

Should Thiago got the same play time say Alexis and Cesc got then Ok. You can't expect a player at his age to perform at the same level as a world class player. Same thing for Tello and Bartra.
Xavi at Thiago's age was in no way better than him.

KluivertsBoots

Should Thiago got the same play time say Alexis and Cesc got then Ok. You can't expect a player at his age to perform at the same level as a world class player. Same thing for Tello and Bartra.
Xavi at Thiago's age was in no way better than him.

Xavi was much better in the final third than Thiago at a similar age. Xavi played as a number 10 until his mid-late 20s when he became a deeper lying playmaker (Andrea Pirlo's career path was similar, but he became an even deeper playmaker than Xavi).

I actually believe Thiago's skills are better suited for the #4 (Busquets) role than as an attacking half playmaker. He'd bring a strong defensive instinct to the position, and his feel for tempo would be good there as well. I'd prefer selling Song (since he can't double at CB) in order to develop Thiago here and buy an attacking playmaker.

Last edited:

jamrock

Don't know why people keep saying thiago is better xavi at the same age because thiago is more flashy, he is not.

JamDav1982

Exactly. Everyone has short memories of Milan saying he absolutely wouldnt go anywhere last year.

There is a massive difference now though.

Milan were most likely saying that to force a massive bid and they needed the money and save on his wages.

PSG have no reason whatsoever to sell him if they dont want to.

LeoMessi10

There is a massive difference now though.

Milan were most likely saying that to force a massive bid and they needed the money and save on his wages.

PSG have no reason whatsoever to sell him if they dont want to.
Extremely true, but If for whatever reason he wants the move they aren't gonna hold on to a player that doesn't wanna be there. It's not going to be good for team chemistry if your captain has expressed his desire to leave for another club but was forced to stick around.

alex88bg

Thiago has an amazing talent for splitting deffenses its just he isnt used that way,look at his Spain and Barca B games .Next season if we dont give him what he deservers he is going to go,and we are gonna make the worst mistake in the last 10 years.

Home of Barca Fans