Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Henry_IB

Banned
Has no one read the announcement that's at the top of every forum section? It apparently has 222 views, but...

Next person who posts a Sun, Daily Mail etc rumor or link gets an infraction. I don't mean to be an ass but we've been over this several times.

Honestly, MD, sport, AS and Marca are basically on the same level as Daily Mail and The Sun. If you ban those I see no reason why you should keep those.

Irish_Cules

I think its a bit harsh to get an infraction for posting rumour from such sources. As Henry_IB said, there are a lot of sport publications who publish bullshit rumours constantly so only focusing on a couple of them doesn't really make sense. If people are stupid enough to take them seriously then its their own problem.

Barca8

Someone said that I. Martinez is "inexperienced"... he started for Sociedad's best season; playing week in-week out in La Liga. He starts for the Spain u21 who play our tiki-taka style and does really well. He wouldn't take long to adjust and be a regular. Just because a defender is World Class on their current team (Hummels, Kompany etc) doesn't mean they'll quickly adapt to our style of play.

Our CB targets need to be 2 out of the Martinez, Mangala, Marquinhos 3.
If Napoli want Mascherano I don't have a problem letting him go to make room for 2 new CBs. We have Song who is a phenomenal backup DM and Masch's value is only going to go down from here on. With the sale of Valdes, Villa, Afellay & Mascherano we should have enough for 2 Cbs & a GK.

If the board don't want to spend much on a GK they can skip ter Stegen and go for a jaguar of a GK in Michel Vorm. He is a great shot stopper, won't cost more than 8-10 and would adjust to our style of play quickly. After that the main cause for concern would be that we won't have a single true CF in our squad. With David Villa we could at least attempt a "Plan B". But with him leaving; if Messi & Neymar get shut down there is no alternative.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

Honestly, MD, sport, AS and Marca are basically on the same level as Daily Mail and The Sun. If you ban those I see no reason why you should keep those.

I think its a bit harsh to get an infraction for posting rumour from such sources. As Henry_IB said, there are a lot of sport publications who publish bullshit rumours constantly so only focusing on a couple of them doesn't really make sense. If people are stupid enough to take them seriously then its their own problem.

I'll bring it up to the other mods but we've been deleting such links for quite some time now so I don't see our stance changing. Thing is with the Spanish papers even though they all write biased bullshit half the time, we'd then have to ban all Spanish media & when our club plays in Spain that's an impossible, unrealistic thing to enforce. At least with the English press, there are alternatives to the rags, if that makes sense.

Irish_Cules

I'll bring it up to the other mods but we've been deleting such links for quite some time now so I don't see our stance changing. Thing is with the Spanish papers even though they all write biased bullshit half the time, we'd then have to ban all Spanish media & when our club plays in Spain that's an impossible, unrealistic thing to enforce. At least with the English press, there are alternatives to the rags, if that makes sense.
Ah ye I completely understand it. I don't really mind either way.

P

PhilS

Someone said that I. Martinez is "inexperienced"... he started for Sociedad's best season; playing week in-week out in La Liga. He starts for the Spain u21 who play our tiki-taka style and does really well. He wouldn't take long to adjust and be a regular. Just because a defender is World Class on their current team (Hummels, Kompany etc) doesn't mean they'll quickly adapt to our style of play.

If Napoli want Mascherano I don't have a problem letting him go to make room for 2 new CBs. We have Song who is a phenomenal backup DM and Masch's value is only going to go down from here on. With the sale of Valdes, Villa, Afellay & Mascherano we should have enough for 2 Cbs & a GK.

If the board don't want to spend much on a GK they can skip ter Stegen and go for a jaguar of a GK in Michel Vorm. He is a great shot stopper, won't cost more than 8-10 and would adjust to our style of play quickly. After that the main cause for concern would be that we won't have a single true CF in our squad. With David Villa we could at least attempt a "Plan B". But with him leaving; if Messi & Neymar get shut down there is no alternative.

CF is not really a problem for this team, is it? Cesc is good enough to start for Spain at that position, he both shoots and passes quite well. Barca is not going to have any alternative style of looping long balls for headers by some big guy. Their plan A needs no improvement, though I certainly expect it to be improved next year upgrading from Villa to Neymar, with Alexis and Tello one year better.

Valdes will be here next year, per both him and the team, so GK replacement will wait another year.

That's quite true that even a world class CB might have real trouble adapting to our style. My minimum hope is just to get someone who can rotate in with Pique, Masch and Puyol, without the huge drop in class we had this year when we had to go to numbers 4, 5 and 6.

I like all our fullbacks a lot, but one might need to leave to make room for a more defensive type who is good in the air. Who could double as a CB.

Barca can buy a couple more quality players, the cash flow is huge. Spend it this year, then economize next year, when only a GK will be needed.

I

instinct

Thiago Silva (PSG): "Barça rumours? It's the same as last year. I'm happy at PSG and hope to stay here for some more years." [via lequipe]

0n0mat0p0eia

You said something was "confirmed"... it wasn't.

Sorry to be harsh, but the mods all discussed this & we decided to take this stance in order to keep this thread from being cluttered with unreliable rumors & rumors being passed off as fact or done deals.

Why is it that local Napoli papers ('Il Mattino is a Napoli-based paper, I don't normally read it so I'm not sure how much they get "right" but I've been seeing similar rumors in other Italian media in the past days' - your quote, XMGirl) and Italian & Spanish press rumours are okay, but English papers are not?

Also, I've read your 'announcement' and quoting from this: ' We want to keep the transfers and players sections to rumours from reputable papers or journalists only.' this was written after comment reference the papers/sites: 'the Daily Mail, Daily Star, The Sun, Goal .com', what are you trying to say about the English press/speaking media?

I read the Sun AND Mail every day, along with millions of other English people. What exactly are you trying to say.

Also, yesterday, I had a post removed that defended the English press; that's all it did. There was no abuse: I asked someone who criticised the English press what qualifications he/she had to make the statements made. I then said there was too much criticism/put down of the English press.

NOTHING in the post was abusive/controversial etc. I was standing up for the press of my country; which by the way ARE REPUTABLE, or just as reputable as the tabloids in any other country.

It looks like the thread title should be retitled: 'Transfers and non-English press rumours'

It's getting to be on this board that ANY contention is to be sanitised/deleted. Whilst I understand that we cannot allow bullying/abuse, surely adults with differing viewpoints can be heard on an adult board?

Cue: if you don't like it on this site, you can always go elsewhere...

This probably isn't what will happen, but I'd sell Pedro and keep Villa. Making Neymar-Messi-Villa our attacking trio. Hasn't Sanchez played as a CF in front of Messi before though? And it's worked all right. If Villa leaves, I'd make that our "Plan B," the formation we used against Milan with Sanchez in front of Messi. Or maybe get a new CF. We were linked with a bunch of forwards about a couple of weeks ago...

mixer

I dunno where is the problem. Just don't post the garbage from these papers and that's all.

You can read it if you want but keep it to yourself.

0n0mat0p0eia

I dunno where is the problem. Just don't post the garbage from these papers and that's all.

You can read it if you want but keep it to yourself.

You say it's garbage, millions don't. All I'm saying is that even IF said reported interest/alleged transfers do not take place, it leads to talking points/further discussion.

Shutting down an avenue of discussion? Is that really where we want to go? What will be next to be out of bounds?

Finished with it, anyway; rules are rules; I've said my piece. That's all anyone can ask for

mixer

You say it's garbage, millions don't. All I'm saying is that even IF said reported interest/alleged transfers do not take place, it leads to talking points/further discussion.

Shutting down an avenue of discussion? Is that really where we want to go? What will be next to be out of bounds?

Finished with it, anyway; rules are rules; I've said my piece. That's all anyone can ask for
I think we shall end this here.

There is no point on discussing that based on that kind of things. The discussion about Cesc moving back to England has been going on for some time and was supported by more truthful kind of sources, not fabricated news in order to sell some english tabloids.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
XMG made a point with announcement regarding rumors sources so let's conclude the discussion.
Ideally, we wouldn't have any links from garbage sources but you can't fight the tide. I am seeing that even TV stations are now calling goal.garbage as "esteemed" news portal. But that's not such a surprise knowing some people who work in media.

I think that in the end rumors are just rumors. No way to establish what's true or not. So you can post links or whatever.
Only those who are so ignorant to be repetitive with garbage sources could be in for a warning.

Henry_IB

Banned
1: I read the Sun AND Mail every day, along with millions of other English people. What exactly are you trying to say.

2: I was standing up for the press of my country; which by the way ARE REPUTABLE, or just as reputable as the tabloids in any other country.

1: While I was the first one to question why MD, AS are allowed but not The Sun and Daily Mail, the moderators are right in the sense that both The Sun and Daily Mail (coupled with AS, MD etc) are trash newspapers. The fact that millions read it doesn't give it any more credibility, if anything, it's the other way around. I wrote a 21 page assignement as a school project about British journalism comparing Tabloids vs Broadsheets and I can tell you that Daily Mail and The Sun are a sorry excuse for journalism and are not be taken seriously in comparison to The Guardian, The Telegraph etc. The Sun's and other similar tabloids target audience are people within the C2DE demographic, namely the working class, manual workers on the lowest levels of pay, poorly educated. And they have adopted a special style because of what their target audience is, which is the use of sensationalism. And any newspaper based on sensationalism will twist stories, headlines etc to provoke a reaction from their readers basically giving them very low crediblity because as long as the news is sensational, they don't really care too much how legitmate the source is.

2: Your country has some fine newspapers. However, you chose to stand up for The Sun, Daily mail etc which are popular, not reputable.

Povikas

Brandon
1: While I was the first one to question why MD, AS are allowed but not The Sun and Daily Mail, the moderators are right in the sense that both The Sun and Daily Mail (coupled with AS, MD etc) are trash newspapers. The fact that millions read it doesn't give it any more credibility, if anything, it's the other way around. I wrote a 21 page assignement as a school project about British journalism comparing Tabloids vs Broadsheets and I can tell you that Daily Mail and The Sun are a sorry excuse for journalism and are not be taken seriously in comparison to The Guardian, The Telegraph etc. The Sun's and other similar tabloids target audience are people within the C2DE demographic, namely the working class, manual workers on the lowest levels of pay, poorly educated. And they have adopted a special style because of what their target audience is, which is the use of sensationalism. And any newspaper based on sensationalism will twist stories, headlines etc to provoke a reaction from their readers basically giving them very low crediblity because as long as the news is sensational, they don't really care too much how legitmate the source is.

2: Your country has some fine newspapers. However, you chose to stand up for The Sun, Daily mail etc which are popular, not reputable.

:goodpost: Lawyered

Home of Barca Fans