jklz

-----Lewandowski-----
Alba(a)----Messi-------Neymar
---Iniesta--------------
---------------Thiago
--------Busquets------
Alba(d)---CB--CB-----Montoya
-----------GK---------

Like against Milan, but keeping Montoya back and letting Alba bomb forward.

Elbflorenz

-----Lewandowski-----
Alba(a)----Messi-------Neymar
---Iniesta--------------
---------------Thiago
--------Busquets------
Alba(d)---CB--CB-----Montoya
-----------GK---------

Like against Milan, but keeping Montoya back and letting Alba bomb forward.

No Cesc :pep: ???

footyfan

Calma, calma
JamDav is still right though. Even in the Milan and Sevilla games, it was Villa who was playing on the right drifting in (like in CL final 10/11) and Messi was in the centre. Something like this:

-P--------------Villa-----
-E-----------------------
-D---------Messi--------
-R----------------------
-O----------------------

As far as I see, the only time Messi played on the right was the last few minutes vs Celtic away.

As a false 9, Messi sometimes just moves to the right anyway. That being said, his movement this year was worse than last year's and so for the other forwards as well. Don't make it seem like he always had terrible movement.

Last edited:

AvocadoCake

JamDav is still right though. Even in the Milan and Sevilla games, it was Villa who was playing on the right drifting in (like in CL final 10/11) and Messi was in the centre. Something like this:

-P--------------Villa-----
-E-----------------------
-D---------Messi--------
-R----------------------
-O----------------------

As far as I see, the only time Messi played on the right was the last few minutes vs Celtic away.

As a false 9, Messi sometimes just moves to the right anyway. That being said, his movement this year was worse than last year's and so for the other forwards as well. Don't make it seem like he always had terrible movement.

He also played on the right at time against Milan in the first leg. I remember being impressed with how Constant dealt with him.

Paganinisrvnge

If we sign Lewandowski then that means we'll have to get rid of 2 forwards. Preferably Villa(love him but he's getting up there in years) and Pedro.

I've been all for selling Alexis for pretty much his entire time at Barcelona but the past few months he proved that he can play at a high level and do some good things so I want to see him given at least one more year. I also hope Tello gets a chance to continue to develop.

That would leave Messi, Neymar, Lewandowski, Alexis, and Tello.

Kerrybai

+1 to both. What would be the point of buying a CF like Lewandowski only to waste him on the R/LW. Someone also said "he wouldn't have to stay on the wing". Why even bother to start him there? A position where he is of no threat. If you remember the home match against Milan, Messi played on the RW and had the freedom to roam. He still scored his goals centrally but when he roamed there wasn't a void up front. Villa kept the defense occupied allowing Messi to do whatever he wants. With a beast like Lewandowski up front he would be more than a distraction ;)

No worries though, we won't see these changes happen :tito:

You have completely contradicted yourself/missed the point that was been made. You are arguing that Messi should play RW as he can roam free and drift inside, but before you said of Lewandowski, 'Someone also said "he wouldn't have to stay on the wing". Why even bother to start him there?'

Why bother starting Messi on the right if he is going to drift into the middle then? Why is it okay to start Messi somewhere he won't stay but it's not okay for Lewandowski?

Messi will always play through the middle, he is our best goalscorer and creates multiple chances for his team-mates through the middle. It's not his fault that Sanchez and Pedro etc hug the touchline. Our tactics need to be mended, but that does not mean Messi should play RW, it makes no sense playing the worlds best player out of position.

argentina-uruguay.jpg

Argentina play Messi through the middle but they allow the 'wingers' to have a free role taking up central positions. If Tito gave our wingers the same freedom they we could be much more effective against the likes of Bayern. Here are Messi's highlights from the game in question where you can see the movement of Argentina's forwards.

My apologies for going off topic.

That means Sanchez and Pedro have to leave. Which I don't mind. Mes que un BYE BYE

I wouldn't get rid of both, we need the depth. Getting rid of 1 should be enough. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting rid of Pedro.

Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu (29) wants to join Barcelona and is therefore slowing down the renewal talks with his club. [md rac1]
:angry:

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not true as a CF. Messi never touches the ball when he plays CF, because he walks around with two centerbacks ready to pounce on any pass to him. It's only when he drops back into the midfield about 20 minutes into the game, leaving a hole up front, that he becomes part of the build up play. Those of us who recommend playing Messi as essentially another right side midfielder (which is what he already does) see that he is more effective behind a central forward who occupies the centerbacks, which gives Messi room to operate in his preferred area (attacking from mid-right towards front left)

He drops back as a false 9 to get involved in buildup play correct? The reason he's been going back so far into midfield that it leaves a giant hole is because our midfielders are becoming much more pushed back to the central area all the time instead of advancing forward and establishing the foundation for the play higher up. If they are so far back, he has to go that far back to get involved. If they would pass around with the intention of working their way up, he'd be involved in buildup play much higher up and able to make quicker, deadlier attacking situations without that gaping hole he would leave if he were way back in midfield.

Essentially our play under Tito is passing the ball very slowly around in a semicircular ring around the opponents half instead of through them like tiki taka should be. If Messi weren't to drop back that deep, he'd be completely isolated as the rest of the team passed it around complacently. Against weaker teams this works as eventually after passing around them we find a way in. However the flaws are shown when against stronger teams, it's impossible to eventually find a way in by passing around in that semicircle around midfield and even Messi can't singlehandedly find fault in the opposition defense and change the play. Adding a #9 like Villa would just isolate that striker along with Messi while the rest of the team continues the complacent passing around the area of play. What we should do to fix this is restart the quicker passing with movement in between the opposition defenders, not around them. That way our buildup will be pushed higher and Messi will have a quicker tempo to work with, making it more difficult to freeze him out. Plus, that way our wingers are more attack minded as well instead of being drones who dribble slightly forward and then pass back again.

mixer

Barcelona have ruled out signing Dortmund player Robert Lewandowski. He'd cost too much while centre forward is no priority signing. [sport]

Home of Barca Fans