Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Do you watch him regularly? He's definitely not mediocre. The only bad thing about him is his injuries really. But I don't want him to go to Barca either, because I want him to stay in Liverpool.

I don't think Agger's Barca quality, but you have a point, I don't watch him much. Still, if we're getting a 29 year old, I wouldn't take any less than Thiago Silva.

Last edited:

Barca8

You have completely contradicted yourself/missed the point that was been made. You are arguing that Messi should play RW as he can roam free and drift inside, but before you said of Lewandowski, 'Someone also said "he wouldn't have to stay on the wing". Why even bother to start him there?'

Why bother starting Messi on the right if he is going to drift into the middle then? Why is it okay to start Messi somewhere he won't stay but it's not okay for Lewandowski?

Messi will always play through the middle, he is our best goalscorer and creates multiple chances for his team-mates through the middle. It's not his fault that Sanchez and Pedro etc hug the touchline. Our tactics need to be mended, but that does not mean Messi should play RW, it makes no sense playing the worlds best player out of position.

argentina-uruguay.jpg

Argentina play Messi through the middle but they allow the 'wingers' to have a free role taking up central positions. If Tito gave our wingers the same freedom they we could be much more effective against the likes of Bayern. Here are Messi's highlights from the game in question where you can see the movement of Argentina's forwards.

My apologies for going off topic.

FFS man...
First my response was to someone who said it would be great to get Lewandowski then put together this formation Neymar - Messi - Lewandowski.
Why the hell buy Lewandowski for the wing? It makes no sense. He is as out and out CF. I went on to say if he was purchased he needs to play as a CF as CFs are CFs for a reason as are CBs, Wingers, GK.

I didn't contradict myself because Messi is proven on the RW and played there for years with success while Lewandowski on the RW is a waste of money. Messi is a unique player and you can bet when he retires we will play the same system but no longer with the False 9. I was talking about my personal preference to have a CF at the CF position so Messi can roam where he wants not leaving a void up front. It's a lot better to have a Lewandowski at CF and if we need a change to sub him out placing Messi at CF rather to not have any alternatives at all.

We can argue tactics all day but as I said that was my personal preference and others agree.

Butaan4barca

FFS man...
First my response was to someone who said it would be great to get Lewandowski then put together this formation Neymar - Messi - Lewandowski.
Why the hell buy Lewandowski for the wing? It makes no sense. He is as out and out CF. I went on to say if he was purchased he needs to play as a CF as CFs are CFs for a reason as are CBs, Wingers, GK.

I didn't contradict myself because Messi is proven on the RW and played there for years with success while Lewandowski on the RW is a waste of money. Messi is a unique player and you can bet when he retires we will play the same system but no longer with the False 9. I was talking about my personal preference to have a CF at the CF position so Messi can roam where he wants not leaving a void up front. It's a lot better to have a Lewandowski at CF and if we need a change to sub him out placing Messi at CF rather to not have any alternatives at all.

We can argue tactics all day but as I said that was my personal preference and others agree.

If lewadoski comes, he won't be playing on the wing. And messi will be playing in the centre too. Consider the above figure. Lewa will be taking Higuains position, neymar inplace of aguero. Messi in the same role. iniesta/cesc in for di maria, xavi/thiago for gago.

Alba and alves can bombard forward with all those over lapping runs with far more freedom, as there is too much space on both wings.

Last edited:
I

instinct

barcelona-tactics-2008-09-guardiola-messi.jpg

Messi on the right, Eto'o (Lewa) as a pure striker and Henry (Neymar) on the left.

We've won the treble..

Just my 2 cents.

Messi on the right, Eto'o (Lewa) as a pure striker and Henry (Neymar) on the left.

We've won the treble..

Just my 2 cents.

We were arguably even better in 2011 with Messi at false 9 and Villa and Pedro on the wings. I'd rather not play Messi out of position. And IF we do change his position, I think we should put him behind a striker, like we did in the second leg against Milan. Or get a striker who can play on the wing like Villa, play him on the wing most of the time, but have him move to a striker position in front of Messi when we need it (like Villa did against Milan).

Last edited:
F

Flavia

We've won the treble..

Just my 2 cents.

The attachment to the past won't make Barça win another treble. Messi improved and improved the team as false 9. The current problems are that Villa is not the same as 10-11, neither is pedro, or the defense. The coach and the pressing system also changed. Many things changed, and taking a step back and putting Messi on rw won't make Barça magically play superbly again.

Meitux

The attachment to the past won't make Barça win another treble. Messi improved and improved the team as false 9. The current problems are that Villa is not the same as 10-11, neither is pedro, or the defense. The coach and the pressing system also changed. Many things changed, and taking a step back and putting Messi on rw won't make Barça magically play superbly again.
Bring Pep back :pep:

This. Messi at false 9 isn't the problem, or at least not as big a part of the problem as many make it out to be. Like you said, Villa and Pedro aren't what they used to be, our defense sucks, our coach sucks, our pressing sucks, etc. Like I said, IF we change his position (not saying we should), he should play behind a striker, not at RW. After all, he owned Milan while playing behind a striker. I still think we should keep him in his best position though, at least most of the time.

I think something like Neymar-Messi-Striker (someone like Villa who can also play on the wing, or Villa himself if he stays) could be ideal, with the striker moving in front of Messi when needed (with Alves moving up to keep the width, or Alba moving up and Neymar moving to the right). If we don't get a striker and Villa leaves, I think Sanchez could play that role. After all, he's played in front of Messi before and it's worked all right.

psychotsek

We've won the treble..

Just my 2 cents.

I believe it has more to do with the fact that our team has lost it's physicality and thus had huge defensive problems that resulted in instability.

FCB 2008/2009 vs 2012/2013

Avg.Height 1.85m 1.74m
Avg.Weight 80.6kg 70kg

ceefoo

Guys we just need a lefty striker on the right. That's Lamela.
That's interesting because I have considered him for that role also. A left-footed Striker that can play CF & RW.:snap:

He's young, a fellow Argentinian like Messi, and very skilful. The problem is, I don't really know how good he is and if he would be able to step up.

Home of Barca Fans