UEFA Champions League 2014-15

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Barca or teams who beat barca went on to win CL for 8 times in a row which ended last year which Atletico were 1 min from winnning it as well. To win CL, you pretty much have to beat Barcelona in recent years, thats the sign of CL domination, not featuring in Finals 3 outta 4 times

Sorry, but this sounds a tad like high horse bs.
But even if that would be an universal truth, which it is not, you'd still have the case that Bayern, when they DID face Barca in the span of those four years, were THE team to not have merely scraped past Barca by inches, like Mourinho's team used to, but outright obliterated them, meaning, combining two claims (beating Barca as sign of domination vs. 3 out of 4 finals played as sign of domination [which I originally didn't even make btw ;)]) proving that Bayern were in a way the dominant team of those 4 years of CL, if one really wants to engage in that sort of pissing contest.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, I think if you offered Pep, right now, your choice of M, S, or N for your choice of any of his forwards, Pep would take the deal without even thinking about it. I would say. at least for right now, Pique is the best defensive player in the world (OK, maybe Hart). Yes, I would take Pique over either Luis or Silva.

For the first two sentences I was following your argument. But the other two sentences make me question your sanity.

I would not say BM has a better squad than Barca. Just to start with, no combination of any number of BM players is as valuable as Messi. There is such a tendency on this forum to undervalue Barca players, it seems like almost a requirement for being able to post here. "Must be willing to say terrible, untrue things about at least some Barca players." I count 18 truly world-class players on the current Barca roster. You don't even want more than that on your team, there is not enough playing time. Maybe a couple of those 18 you would not want to have to play major minutes, but on this squad they don't have to.

Honestly, out of the current squad, I'm only envious of El Tridente, even if Bayern are not that bad in that compartment themselves with Ribery-Lewandowski-Robben. Sadly, Pep decided to permantly move Lahm to DM and set up Rafinha as starting RB, but other than that, I'd prefer the whole of Bayern's midfield, defence and gk to Barca's. But even then, since offered only Alves, Montoya and that Brazilian Barca board fraud fellow, I' still take Rafinha over the Barca options.

Last edited:

zanela

Not to be a dik but anyone else get Inter 2010 vibes from this PSG team? Remember in 2010, we played Inter in group stages then in semis. This PSG is just as physical as that Inter side.

Yep. Motta was also part of that Inter team.

Bye bye PSG :rofl1:

You said the same when you drew Chelsea, Bertus. And we saw how it turned out. Your victory with a man down over Chelsea is suggestive of your growth as a team, mentally and tactically. And any handicap in the form of absentees, only further motivates the team, propels other players to rise their game. Your team can draw a lot of confidence and belief from their victories against Barca, and Chelsea. A sense of belief, one that can be a game changer. PSG has arrived, and they'll be looking to further their reputation on the European stage. A team doesn't win the way you did, and get eliminated in the next round. Your team has an ominous feel to them this season.

Now for that what everyone's been waiting with bated breath. So without further ado, here's my semifinalists..

Buyern
Juventus
PSG
Real Madrid

I'll do one for the finals, in time. Don't worry, you all. :)

Last edited:

StarLord

Sorry, but this sounds a tad like high horse bs.
But even if that would be an universal truth, which it is not, you'd still have the case that Bayern, when they DID face Barca in the span of those four years, were THE team to not have merely scraped past Barca by inches, like Mourinho's team used to, but outright obliterated them, meaning, combining two claims (beating Barca as sign of domination vs. 3 out of 4 finals played as sign of domination [which I originally didn't even make btw ;)]) proving that Bayern were in a way the dominant team of those 4 years of CL, if one really wants to engage in that sort of pissing contest.

Your 09/10 team was crap, but rode its luck (as well as some atrocious refereeing decisions) to the final, which it promptly lost.

Your 10/11 team was not good either. 11/12? Same thing. 12/13 was the exceptional year for Bayern, and even then needed some luck against both Arsenal and Dortmund.

Barcelona have been the only club in Europe to chase all titles virtually every season for the past several years. No other club comes remotely close.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

Your 09/10 team was crap, but rode its luck (as well as some atrocious refereeing decisions) to the final, which it promptly lost.

Ridiculous claim. It "promtly" lost because of a ridiculous red card against Ribery who was "promtly" handed an even more ridiculous 3-match-ban, meaning the end of Robbery in that CL season which had elevated Bayern to such new heights. Of course the defensively very apt Mourinho Inter were able to keep the now reduced offensive threat of only Robben&Gomez at bay.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
The match ups really suck, again. How many times we gotta see Barcelona-PSG, Madrid-Atletico. Bayern-Porto is a no contest

Icarium

Lifestealer
The match ups suck, but there is a positive side. We know the opponent well, gives us more info to how to head into the match. I think lucho will give proper instructions to suarez on how to keep silva away from messi. If he succeeds Messi will do the rest. I am not that worried about set pieces, we have been great at defending those lately. But you never can predict, if neymar brings his top form i am confident.

StarLord

Ridiculous claim. It "promtly" lost because of a ridiculous red card against Ribery who was "promtly" handed an even more ridiculous 3-match-ban, meaning the end of Robbery in that CL season which had elevated Bayern to such new heights. Of course the defensively very apt Mourinho Inter were able to keep the now reduced offensive threat of only Robben&Gomez at bay.

If you are trying to say that 09/10 Bayern was anything remarkable, then I am wasting my time here.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Kind of wish Chelsea made it through now, so we get the classic Barca-Chelsea, which isn't and wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Home of Barca Fans